MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
08/24-25 my club is putting on a beginner enduro and points enduro at Naches.

http://www.nmaoffroad.org/graphics/posters/0824littlebear.pdf
http://www.nmaoffroad.org/graphics/posters/0825blackbear.pdf

I trailboss the Little Bear Beginner Enduro. It features an enduro school, pays NMA poker run points and has special features to make it easy for first timers to ride an enduro. We mark the course with mile markers about every 1/4 mile. That means you don't need an odometer to compete. We also have a Ride With A Pro class where we put you on the same minute as an NMA points rider who will help you out with your timekeeping while on course. I always set the speeds so that most folks will be comfortable and should be able to just have a real good time. I even put in some long resets at scenic locations so you can take in the view. Ground miles are about 25 miles. A bit short, perhaps but the morning class forces a 12:00 start so we need to be done at a freasonable time. It's all about fun... Cheap fun too. Cost is $15 with a free roll chart.

Sunday, the Black Bear Enduro goes off. The BB has been voted NMA Enduro of the Year for each of the last five years. Trail boss Dean puts on a first class event with perfect mileage and a good mix of challenge and strategy. I'm not sure of total mileage, but short coursers can figure 40-60 miles and long course will be over 100.

If you haven't been to Naches, you must give this a go.

BTW, if it's raining on the West side, it's probably sunny at Naches.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
OK I'll go. What is the deal with 120 riders max. Has that already been met with pre-entry? Does it usually get hit. I don't want to go home without riding.

How is the terrain? I hope it's difficult but not so bad that I may as well walk.

It will be my first enduro so I plan to finish as a goal. Is this wise? I'm unavailable Saturday for the beginner run.

55 miles wasn't quite enough at the smuggler run this weekend but will the 55 miles at the BB be plenty? Is it tougher per mile? Also how does a begineer sign up for the long course? Do I claim to be a B-classer or should I steer slear of the long course?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for making yourself available.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by Highbeam
What is the deal with 120 riders max. Has that already been met with pre-entry? Does it usually get hit. I don't want to go home without riding.
We've never been close to the rider limit. So far... I don't think it will be a problem.

How is the terrain? I hope it's difficult but not so bad that I may as well walk.
Naches is generally pretty easy riding with the occasional tougher obstacle. The hard parts could be considered easier than the hard parts of Walker but harder than the hardest parts of Capitol (I consider Capitol to be very easy except when it is stupid slick or stupid dusty). Naches is on the dry side of the mountains so parts will be dusty. That's why we only run one or two guys a minute. One rider a minute and dust is not a problem. Saturday the loop is the easiest I know at Naches, but there are intermediate level obstacles to deal with. Sunday for the NMA EP points enduro, the first loop will use much of the same course with additional miles added. The second loop will be more challenging - bordering on experts only. It will be faster and on scarier terrain. Naches has some seat sucking sections if you know where to find them. (No seat sucking on the beginner loop.)

It will be my first enduro so I plan to finish as a goal. Is this wise? I'm unavailable Saturday for the beginner run.
I've had almost zero DNFs in the LBBE. You should try to time keep and go for a trophy. There are some sections that are set too slow. Those are the sections where you practice time keeping. There are some sections that only AA guys can keep up the pace. If you're smart, you know the rules and used them to not lose so much time. I guarantee you will have a fun ride. Even more fun if you win... :D

55 miles wasn't quite enough at the smuggler run this weekend but will the 55 miles at the BB be plenty? Is it tougher per mile? Also how does a begineer sign up for the long course? Do I claim to be a B-classer or should I steer slear of the long course?
Naches is tougher per mile. Enduros will generally be more fatigueing as well because you don't get to set your own pace (unlike poker runs). I would suggest that on Sunday you sign up for the short course. If you feel like you need more miles, trail ride the second loop. The roll chart will cover both loops. Just stay ahead of the sweep crew so you aren't a PITA ;)

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for making yourself available.
I just hope you'll come out and have a good time. If you ride Saturday, have fun and try Sunday, that'd be great!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Thanks Mace. I assume the seat suckers will be the little goat trail notched into the side of a hill/cliff made of loose shale. We saw some of that at the dust dodgers poker run.

Good to know we can trailride the second loop. I think that is the best option.

I dedusted my air filter from Sunday so I'm ready for some more.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Looks like Gramps and I will be there Sat for sure and sunday is a possible for me. white ford van with obigitory ladder rack and fmf sticker. a trailworn kdx and semi fresh ktm for cargo and a bald white haired old guy as a passenger and a young good looking driver 2 years his senior. ;) There will be thousands of them!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Great event Mace! :thumb:

We rode saturday and decided we'll do the series next year. We did well except for a little 3 for free red mist obscuring a trail marker after the 2nd check. :silly: My 30th class reunion meet and greet was the night before so I wasn't real sharp. :confused: I'll study the chart a little better next time. gramps didn't have a odo and he was keying off me so when I went over the hill he got pretty excited since we had zeroed a couple in row and were getting kinda comfy with the whole thing. It was hard to make up time on the test section following :o.

Too bad there aren't anymore enduro's this year up here.

Good job! and thanks to your club for putting on a great event.!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I agree, great event. Why don't more people come? The 1 minute spacing allowed for a mostly dust free ride and the terrain was top notch. Not impossible but not a walk in the park. I especially liked the "seat sucker" sections where if you slid off the goat trail it was a long way down. The enduro format is way cooler than a poker run, there is more of a goal to the madness. The 50 or so miles of the short course flew by in something like 3.5 hours and I never had a chance to get bored. The bummer was waiting my turn to start for 1.75 hours. That's my excuse for not doing the second loop, the long couorse guys were already getting back from loop #2 (I may have been a little beat up too). I had a couple sections that I was 1 minute off schedule using my 100% seat-of-the-pants enduro computer. Great support from the club and even the sherrif guy was pleasant. Too bad the season is over for the enduros. I'm hooked.

Top Bottom