Enduro packs, what to carry?

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
Hi guys

I am interested to know what some of you riders carry with you on your outrides in terms of tools/spanners and spares when you head out on longer rides.

I have a rough idea but cannot afford to forget something where i ride in SA. The places are quite remote. On my shorter rides, ive been carrying an aerosol tyre sealer/inflator and a leatherman, but im sure there are a few extra things that could save the day.

I would like to know what else might be usfull (excluding a proper tyre repair kit plus wheel spanners and leavers, and pump). Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
Dylan

happydog

Mar 29, 2008
apart from the mandatory mobile phone, I usually include some zip ties, tape and adjustable shifter along with a spare plug.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
Not being funny, a genuine question....what have you used the tape for? I appreciate all the input i can get.

Mobile phone.......absolutely necessary, but no signal where i ride.

Zip ties.......good idea.
Thanks

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
I bring a spare fuel line, a couple hose clamps, master link, spark plugs.
Here are some other things I've heard riders taking with them, safety wire, epoxy, vise grips, tow rope.
Russ

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I'm a horrible trial side mechanic so I bring extra water, bug spray and a bike lock. I'll lock it to a tree,walk out and comeback with a muley and alot of tools or a truck.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
My pack

• Combo wrench (front/rear axle, spark plug)
  • Duct tape (wrapped around combo wrench handle)
  • Extra spark plug
  • CO2 for filling tires
  • Tire irons
  • Patch kit
  • Small flat head screw driver for airscrew/suspension adjustments
  • Multi tool (leatherman)
  • Tire pressure guage
  • 5 min epoxy (started caring it after borrowing some to fix my radiator once)
  • Lighter
  • Some extra cash

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Ever had your bike down the side of a steep embankment (cliff)? After my friend and I worked for about an hour , we could not get my bike back up to the trail . Luckily a guy came along, and in his pack he had a very long, very thin coil of cable . We tied to the bike and wrapped the other end around a tree and inched it up ever so slowly. Saved me from having to bury my bike where it lay ... or helicopter it out. Something I always carry now. Dave

Hoffies

Feb 26, 2007
Mokwepa, nothing to do with your thread, purely as a matter of interest, I can gather you are on a game farm in a remote area of sorts, where in SA are you situated(sounds as if you have great places to ride)? Marcus(Centurion)

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I take plugs, plug wrench, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 wrenches and sockets, vise grip, leatherman, long flat screwdriver. And if its a really long ride I will throw in a large crescent wrench and a 19mm wrench. Also I pack a credit card, cell phone, water, and 2 liters of premix (dump in tank first chance I can). Oh yeah, and some granola bars just in case I need to walk out. There are some good idea here though that I may have to integrate.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
Hoffies said:
Mokwepa, nothing to do with your thread, purely as a matter of interest, I can gather you are on a game farm in a remote area of sorts, where in SA are you situated(sounds as if you have great places to ride)? Marcus(Centurion)

Hi Marcus

Im a game ranger in the Madikwe Game Reserve, North West. Ive lived here for 6 years now, abd ride 2/3 times a week depending on if i have guests or not. Molotedi dam is very close, totaly uninhabited. One of the few places in SA were you can camp and not see another person for days. Cool riding, good fishing/camping. You should give it a try.
I work here www.makanyane.com

Cheers
Dylan

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
My pack

open wrenches 8-17mm
cresent wrench to straighten bent things
some sockets and socket wrench
extra masterlink
rubberbands
tape
bailing wire
assortment of zipties
extra levers
multi tool
wire cutters for barbwire around the wheel
quick steel
lighter and about $5-10 cash

There is probably some other stuff but riding a KDX there really isn't much to go wrong I just carry this stuff for my friends who brake down :nod:

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
ascracer said:
there really isn't much to go wrong I just carry this stuff for my friends who brake down :nod:

I know what you meen. Im constantly fixing everyone else's machines.

Thanks for all the input, keep it comming. Im only getting my pack/bum bag in 2 weeks. I want to have the perfect tool/spares list by then.

Thanks all.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…