bk250

Sep 6, 2006
The owners manual for my bike calls for the use of molybdenum disulphide grease and oil when reassembling the top end. I can't find any references to this type of lube and can't find a brand name product to even know where to begin looking for it.

Any recommendations on what lubes you use when reassembling your bikes top end and power valves?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Moly disulfide grease can be purchased at any automotive store. It will be black in color. Sta-Lube is a common brand, either their Moly-Graph grease or their High Temp Disk Brake Bearing grease are moly disulfide greases. There are also moly pastes which are somewhat different than a conventional grease. These are a little harder to find, and are usually sold as Moly 40 or 45 percent and Moly 60 or 65 percent. I've seen it at Honda dealers in a tube for a grease gun. You might be able to find it at an automotive store in a brush in can deal. I like the brush in can because moly paste is messy stuff.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Why not just use 2-stroke oil, or even straight 30w? Does the Disulfide grease really make that much of a difference as far as ding/scratch/knick protection on the rings/cylinder-wall or does it actually aid in the break-in process?

Is the brush-in-can stuff comparable to Anti-Seize? or is it a specially blended grease?

Dan

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The grease is for lubrication of the powervalve linkage. The brush in can stuff is comparable to anti-seize and can be substituted for anti-seize but it is a special blend and the substitution doesn't go as well the other way around.

bk250

Sep 6, 2006
I found the 60% moly Honda grease tube at the Yamaha dealer. They said it was the only brand they carry??? Anyway, tried two different automotive stores first and they looked at me crossed-eyed when I asked for it. Nothing like high quality service! I would have preferred the Bel-Ray brush on type (which I found after starting this thread) but could not find it locally and did not want to wait the time necessary to order it online.

Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom