Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
This question is about my quad's motor but it just a motor question. I noticed when I let it idle it has a faint knock/engine noise coming from it. I do not hear this noise when I tap the gas at all. I also noticed if I pull the clutch in, rev it up some and let it idle with the clutch pulled in the noise is down to barely nothing (faint) but as soon as I click the shifter in nutreul, and release the clutch the noise gets abit louder. It doesn't nessecary sound like a bad noise cause another person I ride with has another LT250R and hers makes the exact same noise and runs fine. My compression feels great and starts in 1st (2nd at most) kicks. Could this be just normal engine noise or do I need to take it serious and rebuild the topend? BTW anyone know where I can find a audio sample of a engine with piston slap so I can make sure it isn't that but I'm pretty sure it isn't the piston slapping around type noise.

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
Clutch rattle. Some bikes/motors are worse than others, my old KX 500 clutch rattled so bad it drowned out every other motor noise. Nothing really to worry about.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
many engines make a knocking or pinging noise, perticularly at idle. . . . if the noise has been there for a while (or since you've had it) i'm sure it's nothing to worry about, if it's relatively new than the engine may need a new piston or the cylinder bored.. .

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Ya I sorta figured it was clutch noise at first...There's a '02 KX85 here that has some engine noise with it idling and it's brand new. This noise has always done this since I've had it and even the other LT has done this since she has had it and they both run fine and fine excellant compression.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Ok just to give some more info the sound is a deeper tone type noise. The piston slap I've heard before is a nasty grinding or "slap!slap!slappity!slap!Slap! noise. This noise cant be from piston slap cause it doesn't line up with the engines RPMs at idle.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
my cr makes a noise like you described, exact situation, its done it sice Ive had it so i ignored it, esp after I put in a new top, plus my buddies bike makes the same noise.

Top Bottom