Engine noise

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Hey, I need a little help with my 95 kx250 in trying to pinpoint a noise coming from my motor. This may be normal but i figured i would throw it out there. When my engine is running either warmed up or cold the internals in the transmission make alot of rumbling noise when the clutch is disengaged but when i engage it the noise almost goes away completely. Could this be my clutch basket wearing or the internals of the transmission? Thanks for any help............

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
my '99 did the same thing. The clutch basket was notched. I replaced it with a PE billet basket and the noise is barely noticeable now.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
That could be the problem but shouldn't the friction plates rattle and bang around more when the clutch is disengaged? I mean there isn't any pressure on the discs and if the worn out basket is the culprit then it should do it more when you pull the clutch in. Mabye i need to tear into it and find out how it works. Thanks for the idea though................ :bang:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
my 98 does the exact same thing. Havent had any performance problems related to the noise. All lack of performance seems to be centered around my lack of riding ability. :uh:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The noise is normally there from new-it comes from the bearing the clutch basket rides on, its needs alot of clearance to make sure its gets lubed, thats why when you pull in the clutch the noise goes away.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Thanks marcus, that was the answer i was looking for. That makes the most sense of all. I wonder if the new kx250's are designed that way. I'll just live with the noise or try a heavier weight oil. Thanks for the help.............

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
been like it for years, as long as it gets no worse and works normally i see no reason to worry.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Any chance of a machine shop mod. to allow for more oil clearance??? Never seen the internal parts of a KX but that may be worth looking at... :coocoo: If KX owners say it is normal then why didn't the Green Machine Company do something to address the issue??? For what bikes cost who wants to hear engine noise and say "that's normal." If a bearing isn't getting enough oil wouldn't that cause the bearing to have a much shorter lifespan??? Hey here's an idea... Ask Eric Gorr if any corrections are possible. Sounds like something worth looking into, perhaps there is a fix! :yeehaw: Yeehaww it might sound like a Honda! sorry.......

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
its just a noise-no need to get all thinking about ways to fix it-it doesnt need fixing, mx engines are ratlly things at the best of times.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
All good points, but i have to admit, i ride with guys with ktm's, hondas and yamahas and in comparison my bike really does sound like a real piece of cow dung when it sitting there idling.I also had a 96 KDX200 before this bike and i recall it being kinda noisy down there to. Don't get me wrong i love this bike for what it is but it just has some quirks i wish were not there as most bikes do. I just might give eric a call on this, if anyone would know he would..........

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
I would have to say my kawi makes alot of engine noise compared to other 250's and my old 96 kdx200 was kind of noisy to. Must be somthing with the design. Mabye i'll tear into it and see if i find anything worn.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I just bought a 1995 KX250 for my wife but I haven't heard it running yet.
Last night I went over with a buddy to look at 95 KX250 for him. Motor sounded very solid with zero rattles.
I've got to put some time into my wifes KX and see what it sounds like.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Well i tore into the engine and low and behold nothing but trouble :bang: The clutch release lever on the left crankcase had a bad seal and upper support bearing and when i pressure washed it water had been getting in around the seal of the release lever and the water ended up in my transmission case. It ended up destroying the left input shaft bearing which i beleive was making my clutch basket chatter when i released the clutch and not to mention my basket support bearings are very loose and the clutch basket is severly notched and to top it off the right crank half that has the primary gear that slides on it is really worn, i can move the primary gear clockwise and counterclockwise a good bit. I don't know for sure but i think the water intrusion had alot to do with all these things wearing out. I should have known when i noticed my sightglass whitening up after a ride but never knew where the moisture was getting in :| All you kx owners should keep a good eye on this because it cost me about 700.00 to replace all these things. Just somthing to :think: about.............................

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Just outta curiousity...how long did you ride with things being like this? Sounds like it took a little while for that damage to develop.

Maintenance really is a never ending chore. It seems like after every ride I have to adjust something or replace something. I've had the jug off this motor twice already this year.

I would check E8AY before you go buying brand new stuff. I just ran across a pile of tranny parts from a 89 KX250 going for cheap. You may find something similar for your year. As long as you keep oil in the bike these kinds of gears should last forever, but for you it sounds like the water displaced the oil and really accelerated the wear due to higher friction.

Micah

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
So is it any less noisy now? the water getting past the clutch arm seal is a old KX problem-my rmz is just the same, i fit a piece of foamaround it, then superglue it in place-this takes up the gap between the cases and the arm.

joe265

Feb 13, 2005
Well as far as buying the parts it's too late i just spent a little over 700.00 on a outer basket, clutch set, basket support bearings, inputshaft bearing, whole crank from weisco and a bunch of seals and misc. I must say it's a real ball buster :yikes: but if letting someone else in on my misfortune helps them not make the same mistake then it's not a total loss, i know i learned somthing. I'll let you know if it fixed all that noise it made before i tore it down, it will be another week till i get the parts in. Can't wait!

Eric Jones

Jan 30, 2004
01 Makes same noise...

My 01 makes the exact same noise, it didn't do it however, until it had about 5 hours on it. I'm told it's completely normal. I also hear that some other brands do it as well.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…