djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
Last week, my second oil change is due so i bought it down to my friend's shop to get it done. He carries only Rock oil and only had two types of oil. A 5w-40 sigma and A Racing four stroke oil named TRM. I had no choice as to pick the TRM Racing four stroke oil.
When i started my bike next morning, the auto decom keeps engaging and i got to raise the engine speed to disengage it. it never happed before when i first changed it to maxima 15w-50.
And upon engaging the clutch for the first time, the clutch let go of a squeaking noise and slips. only the first time. it happened a number of times. worried, I had it changed to a Castrol superbike RS 10w-50. The maxima is out of stock.
To top it up, the size 8 allen key for the bottom oil strainer is rounded!!!! Guess i have to knock it out and replace a new one.:(
any advice is greatly appreciated!!!! thanks guys!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you look at the owners manual I think there should be a specification for the oil you need to run. I'm pretty sure the RFS KTMs need a high quality synthetic because of the limited oil volume the RFS engine design has.
Here's some good places for oil info both brand specific and general:

API
Lubrication Engineers
Amsoil
SWEPCO

Oil is a very personal preference issue with most folks. The bottom line is this. No matter what anybody says if the lubricant meets the specs, is available, and meets your price point you will be fine.

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
Mobil 1?? isn't it the oil for automotive engines? will it cause clutch slip cos as i know, engine oils have anti-friction addictives. anyway, thanks for the advice guys!!!!!! I'll look for the best oil for my exc.:D

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
"will it cause clutch slip cos as i know, engine oils have anti-friction addictives"
...Here we go again! :confused:
djebel250
please tell me you're just "fun'n us":scream:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The 15-50 M1 does NOT have the modifiers. All the other auto grades of M1 do.

FYI, KTM RFS service classes that the dealers were given taught them to recommend semi-synthetic for the RFS's. Some people were seeing very premature clutch failure with full syn was the stated reason. I use BelRay EXP 20-50 in mine. I get it from Bob's where you get a 10% discount on cases and it costs about the same as M1.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Premature clutch failure?

I have thrashed the clutch on my 300, race after race, IN SAND! I have 3300 miles on the bike & clutch. 2000+ miles are on Mobil 1 15W-50. No issues, stock clutch!

I can change my oil twice for what some people pay for their oil, and I know I change my gearbox oil, as often, or more often than anyone here. I also know that is a big statement! The people here on this board that I deem experts - don't have any issues with Mobil 1. I will keep using it, and recommending it when asked!

The forum concept of these boards are to exchange info., seek addtitional knowledge, and ask for help when needed. I do all 3 regularly, as you can see by the number of posts I have made. There are experts on this board in given areas and I try to listen closely to their advice.

Here are some of the products that I now use because of DRN:
Mobil 1 15W-50 - crankcases & gearboxes (4&2 strokes)
No-Toil - all my air filters on every bike (4 in all)
Marvel Mystery oil - on every rebuild (4 & 2 stroke)
Mobil 1 MX2t - 2stroke premix

I have never had a premature failure of any sort. But most of all I am NO expert on any of this motorcycle stuff. This is why I come here.

O.K. I'm done preaching now! -- Slam away!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Did I set you off, Strick? Sorry if I did. I was just sharing information. I didn't mean to say anyone was doing anything wrong by using fully syn or M1. Quite the opposite on the later as long as it's 15-50. Also note I was referring specifically to the RFS's, not the 2 strokes. I also always ran/run M1 15-50 in my 2 strokes with no clutch problems. Actually, I'm not much of a clutch abuser so I personally think I'd be fine with a full synthetic oil in my RFS. However, given that it's KTM's advice to the dealers to use semi, I decided to go that way.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Jeb - it wasn't you. I have just been reading so much about this oil issue, I just had to say a little more than solicited.

Actually who set me off this morning was a guy out the local orange bike dealer, who thinks he know more about engine lubrication than he does. I shared Rich's oil write-up with him, and he attaches some Honda sponsored oil article to it and gives it back to me. And to think I have to do business with these guys. Is it that important for them to try to sell me $6.00 a quart oil that they may make $1.50 a bottle off of? Anyway, there I go again (ranting) :scream:

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
Just to muddy the waters a little more, you can run dinosaur oil in your 400exc, although I wouldn't necesssarily recommend it. The reason for running syn oil is for the superior lubrication and less viscosity breakdown under stress and heat -- and we are all only too familiar with the heat issues on an RFS, but that's a whole 'nother topic. Anyway, the semi-syn is the compromise suggested by KTM to minimize clutch burning and slipping and still provide the engine with the best possible lubrication under the circumstances. Honda has resolved this problem on the 450F by separating the engine oil and trans oil (like a 2-stroke), which would be vastly superior. However, I think I'll stick with my KTM 400. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we learn that nobody has the perfect answer, not even KTM which originally recommended the syn oil, and that we are all learning as we go.

Slow Jack

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'm doing a oil change tonight on the 520, at first I was going with Mobil One but KTM recommends Shell Advantage. Must follow the words of the Great Pumpkin.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
1st - Where did you find shell advantage? 2nd - I did not like the way my bike (internals) performed on the factory oil. Good LucK!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Strick
1st - Where did you find shell advantage?

Well, that's a hellofa good question, I have been to 3 shell stations, called 2 auto superstores plus called Malcom Smith and nobody has heard of it.

oh well I tried

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
been running pennzoil syn.( with pennzane) in my 400exc for close to a year now and about 1300 miles , been changing the oil about every 200 miles ,no clutch problems and no metal detected in the screens and or on the magnetic.
used the same oil in my 96 xr400 and never had any problems

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
sorry wild hare... if i offended u in anyway. I didn't mean to doubt the advice u guy give. just to make sure. because i had quite a bad experience with automotive oils in the past. Next oil change, I'll look for the red-cap Mobil 1.
But it seems that the market in Singapore is flooding with mobil1 5w-50. hardly able to find the red-cap 15w50 anymore. Wish me luck in my hunt!!!!:confused:

Andy Baker

May 28, 2001
The Allen Key in the sump on my '01 520 EXC also rounded. It was a real pain to remove, and in the end I got it out with an impact driver + Allen Key Socket. There is a torque setting in the owners manual which I have since used - the only problem is that when set to the correct torque ( 10 NM I think ) , the plug seems to work loose. I have since taken to torquing it to 20NM - this seems to hold it on place ok without it working loose.
The other problem is that the 'O' ring on this plug gets quite chewed up as well - I am already on my third one ( they seem ok for about 2 or 3 oil changes before they look manky.
Done 1000 miles now from new and after initial teething problems ( oil leak, seat cover falling apart ) the bike is superb.
Good Luck
Andy

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
No offence taken:)

I just knew what that comment was going to start!:scream:

If you do a search in the forums on "Mobil 1" you'll see this is a topic that has been talked of often....to say the least.

Have FUN with the new bike! I sure like mine:cool:

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
Originally posted by Andy Baker
The Allen Key in the sump on my '01 520 EXC also rounded. It was a real pain to remove, and in the end I got it out with an impact driver + Allen Key Socket. There is a torque setting in the owners manual which I have since used - the only problem is that when set to the correct torque ( 10 NM I think ) , the plug seems to work loose. I have since taken to torquing it to 20NM - this seems to hold it on place ok without it working loose.
The other problem is that the 'O' ring on this plug gets quite chewed up as well - I am already on my third one ( they seem ok for about 2 or 3 oil changes before they look manky.
Done 1000 miles now from new and after initial teething problems ( oil leak, seat cover falling apart ) the bike is superb.
Good Luck
Andy
andy, my allen key eight was also rounded. it cost me $6++ singapore $ jus to buy one. seemed they kinda stock up alot of these things...... i,ve read a magazine that taught ppl to remove that bolt. first give it a few nice knocks with a allenkey eight wif socket. then remove. donno much abt the torque though. gt chk up my owner,s manual. :)

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
I knew u wouldnt take it to heart Wild Hare. btw, i did look up on the topics reguarding Mobil1. It was quite interesting......:confused: I'll go grab a bott for my nxt oil change. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom