Engine painting and stripping old paint

speedsta_3

Apr 20, 2004
Hi all,
I Owen a 1994 CR125 and I’ am wanting it to look a bit newer like a 1996 -1997 CR as the newer cr's have a sliver looking paint on the engine caseing,my engine is black I can get my hands on a complete set of 1996 cr125 plastics at a wrecker. So what I have to do to get it looking like a 1996 -1997 CR is strip the paint from the engine if I use a paint striper on the engine will it harm the gaskets or the engine caseing in any way .Then I will need to repaint the caseing in a high-temp paint right.Or should i paint over the top of the old looking black paint with a high temp paint. The big thing is how do I do that I think I will be needing to remove the engine as it would be very hard to paint the engine in the frame if any one would be able to give me any tips or any how to’s on how to re-paint the engine it would be very helpful.
P.S Admin if I have posted in the wrong place pleas move it

Speedsta_3 :)

Last edited:

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
The newer CR motors are bare aluminum (unpainted). Paint stripper is nasty stuff and will get places that you don't want it to. If that were my bike I would just live with the black paint until it's time to do the bottom end. When the cases are split then you can go to town with the paint stripper.

If you have to change the look now, you could remove the right hand crank case cover and clutch cover and strip those pieces. After the parts are stripped use a maroon Scotch brite pad to give it that brushed aluminum look. You could also add a Boyesen or some other brand Aluminum ignition cover for better protection and looks.

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hey there, I use permatex gasket remover to strip any paint Off of anything, it bubbles it in about 10 seconds. I have stripped everything, the only things that I have problems with stripping are the clutchcover and the rest of the bottom end. The paint just doesnt want to come off, any recommendations for a paint stripper that will take this paint off?

wasted

Mar 14, 2004
is it paint, or is it anodizing?

I dont know how they do it on dirtbikes, but I've polished so much aluminum on streetbikes that I could puke, and I know if its anodizing its probably going to be tough to remove it from the cases...

if it isnt painted, most alumin. that comes on motorcycles is anodized or in some cases powdercoated, even though it looks like bare alumin., clear, or other color, it still has some kind of protective coating on it...

I've tried stripping anodizing with everything from various different paint strippers, to scraping it off in a mad fury with a flathead screwdriver, and the only thing I've found worth the time and mess to remove it is just good old hand sanding, or sand/bead blasting... and powdercoating is harder still...

paint stripper is nasty stuff, it goes alot of places you dont want it to go, and eats alot of things that you dont want it too... and I dont know if i would be getting it on the gaskets either, and especially not any rubber seals...

if you want it to look good and your going for the brushed alumin. look you may try to find someone with a fine media sandblaster, or better yet, a bead blaster, but I know form experience that without some kind of polished finish or coating on it that bare, raw alumin. will stain from anything it touches and is hard to get clean without washing it with some form of a harsh chemical, so you'd definitely have to paint it, reanodize it, or something afterward...

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
It is painted, but after I remove the paint which by the sounds of it I will have to sandblast it. I want to polish the bottom end and then put some kind of high heat clear coat on it. I am polishing the rest of the aluminum on the bike, is there any clear coats that I could put over top of it so I wont have to polish it all the time, it is mostly for the swingarm and pivot arm, triple clamps and forks.
Should I anodize it, or just put a clear coat on?
I am restoring the bike, I probably wont ride it that much, but still take it out once in a while to stretch its legs...

speedsta_3

Apr 20, 2004
Thanks for all the info guys :) i only did the bottom end about half a year ago so got any other ideas about removing the old paint from the casing :clue:
Laterz

speedsta_3 :joke:

DW

Jun 17, 1999
Winter Project - Sandblast

I tore down my 91 CR500 several years ago and sandblasted the engine and frame. I powdercoated the frame (very durable) and I painted the engine using yamaha metallic silver spray bombs. Turned out very well. As a bonus, when the paint does rub off the engine from boots, etc.., it is difficult to notice as the metal is close in colour to the paint.

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
I think I am going to do what you did there DW, I planned on powder-coating the frame anyways, as for the engine I will sandblast, and I will look into that metallic silver paint. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom