gaillarry

Jun 28, 2007
My 89 KDX200 has bit the dust, a large hole in the crankcase where it can hit by tractor blade. I've found an 85 engine in good condition, can it be easily swapped into the 89 frame and will it work with the carb/electrics?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The motors are not the same. The '85 is air-cooled while '89 was the first year for liquid cooling in the KDX. You'll have to do some fabrication to fit the '85 motor in an '89 frame. Look for an '89 to '94 KDX200 motor.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
youngerprice said:
he said just the carb and eletronics not engine parts.

You need to get a refund from the Evelyn-Wood speed reading course.

gaillarry said:
My 89 KDX200 has bit the dust, a large hole in the crankcase where it can hit by tractor blade.

Sounds like the engine in his '89 is toast.

gaillarry said:
I've found an 85 engine in good condition, can it be easily swapped into the 89 frame and will it work with the carb/electrics?

He's found an '85 engine and wants to know if it can be swapped into the '89 frame AND if it will work with the carburetor and electronics.

gaillarry

Jun 28, 2007
Its just the engine thats toast, the carbs are ok. The blade broke the crankcase and damaged the crankshaft I figure it may be cheaper just to replace the engine than rebuild it.

I did find an 89 engine, air cooled for $200, is that a good price (top end was rebuilt but the kickstart return spring is broken).

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
gaillarry said:
Its just the engine thats toast, the carbs are ok. The blade broke the crankcase and damaged the crankshaft I figure it may be cheaper just to replace the engine than rebuild it.

I did find an 89 engine, air cooled for $200, is that a good price (top end was rebuilt but the kickstart return spring is broken).

The aircooled engine's exhaust comes out to the side of the cylinder, not the centre. This would be the biggest hurdle.

Top Bottom