tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Hey guys,
The GG vs KTM pissing match is getting old. Both brands are well built bikes with their own strong points. I've owned both and ridden various vintages of each. Personally I like TM better than either, but I don't cut down the other brands.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
No pissing match

There is nothing wrong with the discussion. Some may not have all the facts or may be biased but everyone learns from it.

They just happen to be the 2 most popular off-road bikes right now.

You think its any different in the Jap forum???????

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Different? Oh yah............gotta love the Euro bikes....The rice eaters will come around someday.....:cool:

You would think they could atleast put a $ .50 magnetic drain plug in......

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Wow!
Some of you guys get real hot about who's bike is best. I agree that getting in a fight is not cool.
Its good to have a different perspective on bikes which I hope my European slant gives to all in the US.
My views aren't supposed to be controversial. Hell I don't want to fall out with any of you just in case I need cheap accomodation on my next trip to your shores.
My next discussion topic is why all UK wheelbarrows are quicker than Cannondales !!!

Only kidding?

Who knows?:p

I'm not going to say any more about KTM 'v' GasGas

Last edited:

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I think its fine too, as long as the comments of those participating are based on personal experience, not rumor or quotes of magazine tests. Thats the real value of this forum.

drzmick,

Can you guys still ride over there, or is everthing shut down in an attempt to control the hoof and mouth problem?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Even with all the badgering that goes on its kind of strange how at an enduro you see GG and KTM's zipping through the woods wheel to wheel going around the Japenese bikes.:think

lips

Apr 6, 2001
Here's my 2 cents worth:

Bike brand loyalty is a good thing. I was loyal to Husqvarna from 1976 to 1984. In those days they were the "best" bikes to ride enduro's. I then rode KTM's until 1988. In 1989 I switched to Jap bikes because I got tired of getting my ass kicked by the "rice burners". I have owned at least one bike of every Jap brand since 1989. I found them fast, and reliable; which offset the $ I spent on suspension work.

I now have a KTM 200, and I love it because KTM got it right. Here is a light weight bike with plenty of power and comes with all the enduro goodies. I hope it proves to be as reliable as my Honda's were.

My point is that I buy the best bike for me at any given time. That is, I buy what I think I can win on. A huge part of winning is reliability, and quite frankly, my Honda's have been way more reliable than any Euro bike that I have owned to date.

Ride what you like. Tell people why it works best for you. Do, however, keep in mind that some other brand may work best for someone else. I tease plenty of people about "their" ride, but I be careful not to flame them.

After all, after years of riding Honda's and picking on KTM, I now have to eat a lot of crow while riding orange.

old guy.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
GlennP

Most area's are now free from foot and mouth but we're all supposed to stay away until the possible incubation period expires.(Two weeks without any infection within 10 kms)
I just happen to live in an area where all our best trails are still closed. Some of the Lake District is open to Ramblers but under strict controls.
The thing has been a really bad period but at least its only my hobby affected. Most farmers face hardship or an end to a family tradition. Sadly some farmers have killed themselves-its hit that hard.
Tourism, hotels etc. etc. have also been affected in area's especially Cumbria (which includes the Lake District).
I finally got hold of and bought a KTM 200EXC today (!) so I have that to look forward to plus we have a local 5 mile trail which is open but boring.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
This forum is better than the Jap forum and much better than some other forums (thumpertalk has been quite nasty at times). The forums can be quite informative and entertaining. When someone asks a question about a KTM, try to answer the question about the KTM rather than saying "Get a GasGas". When someone asks about a GasGas, don't respond with "get a KTM200 - it's the best" (espeically if you've never ridden a GasGas and your KTM200 is only the second bike you've owned).

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I am going to agree with tm-enduro on this one. All too often, when someone asks about a particular make/brand/model the attention is turned away from the original post and into a frenzy match between the two. Such as the “Gas Gas 125" post. Frankly, I believe it shows disrespect for the original posters post and lowers us to "the other" forum. I do not care what goes on in "the other forum" we are different. Just ask them. Now if someone comes in here asks the notorious “Which bike is better?” subject line, then frankly it is a free-for-all. Besides, if I knew then what I know now, I’d probably be on a TM today.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom