MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
What is the best way to enter whoops? It seems you have to go really slow so you don't over jump them then you are going so slow your front end drops when you start them. Any subjections on how to enter fast? Thanks

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
With the luck you've had lately Moo, I would get off and push through the whoops :p

Just kidding, I've only had the chance to ride whoops once and it was a blast. What I did was to bring the front wheel up and sort of wheelie into them then hold a consistent throttle and feather the clutch. I'm not sure if it's the best or correct way but I see it done that way on TV. Don't hold on so tight that the bike can't float through, kind of keep the knees bent and grip and let the bike do all the work. It reminds me of those horse riding machine at the arcade that you rock back and forth to make it go, your body seems to stay in one position and the bike rocks back & forth like hell.

Glad you got your bike back together and hope you enjoy it. Take care, Jeff

------------------
"Nature Boy"

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Well on my CR I can do them in the VERY top of first but I think I want to start doing them in second but if I jump the first one in even mid first them I fly over like 5 of them and loose alot of time.

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
One thing I do know about whoops is to stay on the gas and make a rowing motion to keep the rear end from coming up too far. That rowing is real important!

------------------
It is allright to be afraid. Ya just can't let fear dictate your actions.

Mar 14, 2001
What kind of whoops are you talking about? Are they tall,short,small gap,or long gap?What do you mean about jumping them and losing time? Jumping over as many as you can while entering may be scary at first but it is the fastest way to enter the whoops. If you are tackling large whoops usually the best way to take them is to treat them as a rythm section jumping two or three at a time. If they are small you should just blitz them and try to skim the tops. You should stay to the rear of the bike when blitzing.

------------------
Tuck and roll!

1998 YZ-125
1993 RM-125

Addiction Riding

Aug 6, 2000
I found the best way (YES my bike can do whoops) is tto jump the first couple and try to wheelie it the rest of the way through

------------------
16/m

1980 Yamahe Enduro DT175

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Ya I have found the faster I go the more the front end comes up and the better I can do the whoops. What is this about a rowing motion?

------------------
1998 CR 125 MoO machine.
"To much honey is bad for you"

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
The local track is a supercross style track, so it may be different than what you are doing. I tripple the first sets(6 jumps total), then lean back, grip the bike with my knees and PIN IT!!! Don't let the front wheel drop or you will be up the creek, you WILL crash hard.

------------------
Aaron's web site

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
My track has about an 80 foot set of whoops and the best way i do them is to quad or triple in with the front end slightly up and then hold on with alot of throttle. Have your butt over the back fender. The faster you go the easier they are and the less effort it is to do. Take practice but an absolute balst once you get the hang of it. Good luck

YZ 250F

------------------

Feb 24, 2001
The best way i can sum it up is to jump as far into the whoops that you can. Maybe you can just double in. This gives u a lot of speed coming into it. Then just hold on to the gas steady and make sure ur front tire is really light going over the top of the whoops. Sometimes you don't really have to skim them, you can even double/triple your way out of them. Like this one set of whoops that used to be at this local track. You triple into the whoops, then triple them 2 more times and your out. It all really depends on the size and gap of the whoops.

------------------
Special Thanks To: Socal/Decal Works, Vortex, RK Chain, ScottUSA, Excel Rims, XXXMAIN.com.

http://dirtydirtbikers.com

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
Well, depending on what kind of whoops they are, i usually just go flying through them. but you said you are doing them in the top of FIRST???!!! try top of 2nd-middle of 3rd. the faster you ge through whoops the easier it is, just stay back and ride loose. it is probably a good to stay away from whoops while you are warming up, or if you are pumped up (arm pump). also, keep in mind that some whoops have no easy smooth way through them... take arenacross whoops, (any of you out there who have raced arenacross will know what im talking about) they are tall and too narrowly spaced to jump through, and too far apart to skip across, so basically you just have to make sure that your suspension is dialed, and just go slamming through them.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think the "blastng and jumping" method is done only after you're confident enough in your riding abilities. If you have ridden them before you can get a grasp of the timing. If you haven't been on the track before, take several practice runs through them to pick different lines. Watch others who are locals and how they go through them. My definition of success in whoops is to make it through them w/o looping or going over the bars.

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
OK, now I'm throwing a new twist into the game.

How do you go through whoops, at speed, during an enduro, with trees on both sides and only 30"-40" between them.

I rode the enduro at Roselawn last weekend, and was a slug through the big sand whoops because I was afraid of punching trees.

Suggestions??

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I hate trees. :p

that question in my mine is more on the line of the risk factor you are willing to take.

I hit to many trees over the years on a 20ft wide mx track,.......i am the last one to have an opinion on 30-40"'s !

------------------
wardy
"don't wake me.......I am working."
http://www.megacross.com

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
The trees don't bother me (unless I hit them :eek: ) but what I'm trying to get better at is riding whoops and being able to hold a line.

I'm asking for more that I'm probably capable of, since I see the pros screw up on them also.

If I had received an earlier minute at Roselawn, I would have sat down and watched some of the fast guys ride through them. I was on minute 66, so there wasn't much behind me...

Thanks for trying, Wardy. Someday I'll figure it out, but for now, I'll remain a slug. A safe slug. :D

[This message has been edited by NDRO (edited 04-15-2001).]

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
NDRO,
Blasting through whoops and holding a line is really easier than you would think. The one thing I would say is memorize that part of the section before you try it though. Also find a large area of whoops and ride through it while and pick a line. I learned how to turn the hard way when a tree jumped in front of me and I actually got around it without going over. When you want change direction get your timing so that when you want to turn your are jumping a really small jump at an angle. Be prepared to fly a little sideways and go with it. If you fight the bike it will be a rough ride.

------------------
Ridin' till I can't
'98 RMX250
'84 XR250r
Laid to rest:
'73 TC125

[This message has been edited by Dirteater (edited 04-16-2001).]

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by NDRO:
How do you go through whoops, at speed, during an enduro, with trees on both sides and only 30"-40" between them.

I rode the enduro at Roselawn last weekend, and was a slug through the big sand whoops because I was afraid of punching trees.

Suggestions??

NDRO - Roselawn whoops are a piece of cake. Ride an enduro up in Michigan sometime... row 35 or higher.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Woodsriders is right you Illinois guys havent seen sand whoops till you ridden in Northern MI.My strategy for sand whoops is to get as far back as possible and pin it. If the whoops are spaced close together dragging the rear brake seems to help me stay in contol better.BTW never let off the gas when going through sand whoops at speed. :)

------------------
Ben Walker
00 cr 250
BRC,AMA,NRA Member

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
bwalker - Being on row 47 at last years Cherry Pit Enduro meant riding 50 miles of sand whoops. BTW - Roselawn is in Northern Indiana, which is mainly sand.

In the woods, whoops are never evenly spaced. It's tough to get any kind of rhythm going. The trick is to be in third gear, catch air off the first one and hammer through the rest. I know when I'm doing it right because I feel like I'm riding on the edge of control.

------------------
'98 GasGas EC250
'01 Sponsors: me, myself, I

[This message has been edited by WoodsRider (edited 04-16-2001).]

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Dirteater:
The one thing I would say is memorize that part of the section before you try it though.

That is fine on an MX track, but when you only see a section of ground once, there's no opportunity to pull something like that off.

I suppose it's like crossing logs. After a while, you just get the hang of it. When I started riding in the woods, logs freaked me out... I find them a blast now. I spend my time figuring out how to get over them smooth and fast.

One thing that I have noticed with my riding this year is that the hard stuff has been almost error free. It's the simple stuff that is biting my butt.

I have been crossing creeks with barely a spash, riding over logs (dry) with ease, and able to pick and change lines.

On the other hand, I'm still nursing either a cracked rib or a pulled chest muscle from a simple front end washout while going around a tree. Caught the throttle housing right in the chest. And I was wearing a chest protector....

On the other hand 2 years ago, I REALLY sucked... :D

Thanks for the info, guys!!!

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
NDRO, Woodsrider is pretty correct, one thing is to look as far ahead as possible at any enduro. This way you can try and judge the whoops and for the most part jump as many as possible and land with the gas on. As for the trees, looking ahead is a must, if the trees are to tight then don't jump, roll them till you past the tight trees then get back on the gas.
Don't worry Roselawn is about the only IL enduro with real whoops.
And you guys are right, MI has some real whoops!!

------------------
Team Funmartcycle.com
2000 KTM 200EXC & 250EXC

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
What I mean by a rowing motion is this: Just as the rear tries to kick up, row the bars away from you and the kick up will be much less.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for all the information that is in this thread about whoops. MoO, a big thanks to you for asking the question! I had a bad crash in a whoop section 14 years ago. Broken clavicle, buised ribs and lung where the result of my mishap. Since then they have been my least favorite section of any track. I read this thread before going riding yesterday, then applied what was given as tips. Much to my suprise I was going 3 times as fast by utilizing these techniques, and even found myself pulling of the track to go back through the whoops again! After 14 years of fear, I have throw whoop monster off my back! :) Can't wait to go riding again and practice that whoop section again!

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
I agree with wardy. It is basically the risk you are willing to take.;)
being young and dumb, i would just say hope your helmet holds up, and get one of those evs neck brace things. and don't fight the ruts in the sand. you will only end up on the ground amongst them.

Top Bottom