Camber

Jun 12, 2007
Hey all, noob in the house!!! woot woot!.

Just wonder what equipment I will need to bring with me and leave at my truck.

Heres what I have so far...

Twist ties
Duct tap
pliers
Any tools to get at the filter
any tools to get at the sparkplug.
replacement plug
chain oil.

Any other idea would be awesome. Thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I carry a small tool box with the basic hand tools (metric combo wrenches, allen wrenches, and a socket set, screwdrivers in various sizes, and pliers). I also keep a pressure gauge and tire irons in the box as well as a portable compressor/inflator under the seat.
As far as spare parts, brake and clutch levers, spark plugs, tubes for both tires, cotter pins, a box of metric nuts, bolts, and washers, and a box containing the various fluids that I may need.

Just think about what might break, and try to make sure you have the stuff to fix it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Tools to take with you? Depends on how far from the truck you will be and what sitting there while your buddy (you do have a buddy, right?) goes back for tools.

When I know that I am likely to be miles from camp I will carry the following
Screw drivers (flat & philips)
Spark plug wrench
spare plug
8mm, 10mm, & 12 mm wrenches
adjustable wrench
small roll of electrical tape (duct tape is too bulky....)
A few spare nuts and bolts
a small coil of galvanized wire
tie wraps

Back at camp I have a big tool box with all sorts of stuff. In addition to the basic tools I have
3 tire irons
spare tubes
patch kit
12v air compressor
"tire slime" (for the slow leaks)
a box full of spare nuts and bolts
oil (two stroke and regular)
oil/gas mix jar
Bike stand
a heavy tarp to spread on the ground so I don't have to work in the dirt
WD-40
Chain Lube
gasket material
a box full of spare parts
a few different rubber hose sizes (small for gas line, large for pipe coupling, etc)

Basically, whenever I work on my bike I pay attention to what tools/supplies I needed to do a job and then I make sure that I have those tools/supplies with me. I carry with me on the bike only those that I need to limp back to camp, but back at camp I can pretty much rebuild the bike. Parts that I changed on a preventative measure become spares (chain, sprockets, chain guide, clutch cable, etc)

I have a couple big plastic tote boxes that I keep all the bike stuff in so when it is time to go I just load up the whole box.

Rod

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Tools to take with you? Depends on how far from the truck you will be and what sitting there while your buddy (you do have a buddy, right?) goes back for tools.

When I know that I am likely to be miles from camp I will carry the following
Screw drivers (flat & philips)
Spark plug wrench
spare plug
8mm, 10mm, & 12 mm wrenches
adjustable wrench
small roll of electrical tape (duct tape is too bulky....)
A few spare nuts and bolts
a small coil of galvanized wire
tie wraps

Back at camp I have a big tool box with all sorts of stuff. In addition to the basic tools I have
3 tire irons
spare tubes
patch kit
12v air compressor
"tire slime" (for the slow leaks)
a box full of spare nuts and bolts
oil (two stroke and regular)
oil/gas mix jar
Bike stand
a heavy tarp to spread on the ground so I don't have to work in the dirt
WD-40
Chain Lube
gasket material
a box full of spare parts
a few different rubber hose sizes (small for gas line, large for pipe coupling, etc)

Basically, whenever I work on my bike I pay attention to what tools/supplies I needed to do a job and then I make sure that I have those tools/supplies with me. I carry with me on the bike only those that I need to limp back to camp, but back at camp I can pretty much rebuild the bike. Parts that I changed on a preventative measure become spares (chain, sprockets, chain guide, clutch cable, etc)

I have a couple big plastic tote boxes that I keep all the bike stuff in so when it is time to go I just load up the whole box.

Rod

Scary, I have almost the same stuff as this guy!

As for duct tape being too bulky, I carry about 2 feet of it just wrapped around my plug wrench. It's still easily used, and doesn't take up hardly any space. I also carry tire irons, axle wrench, patches, and some CO2 bottles. Most my tools in for the trail are just super-cheapo pieces from Auto Zone. I just got a Fox trail pack the other day to stuff it all in, VERY NICE! I like it much better than having everything bounce around in a back pack, or in the old cheap fanny pack I had (which the tools punched holes in).

A spare lever or two could be nice too if you tend to break them often. I "never" break mine, so I've never had a spare. Then I crashed and broke my hand guard and front brake lever, which made for an interesting rocky/hilly single track ride back to the trailer!

As for the original poster, I'm not sure why you would need to oil the chain during a ride.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
A spatchula. Works good for scrapin mud off before you head home and you can flip the burgers too :)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
adam728 said:
As for the original poster, I'm not sure why you would need to oil the chain during a ride.
He did specify that he wanted to know what to leave at the truck. Of course, he should find the advice on what carry into the trees very useful as well.

Camber

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the tips.
Yah I dont have a buddy at the moment, which sucks! Stupid friends sold their stuff!
I wasn't aware that there was space under the seat, good to know.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
If you're going trail riding without a friend, forget the tools. Just pack you a little flask of whiskey so you can numb the pain while you're waiting for the vultures to get started!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Camber said:
Thanks for the tips.
Yah I dont have a buddy at the moment, which sucks! Stupid friends sold their stuff!
I wasn't aware that there was space under the seat, good to know.

Go ride on a local MX track, if you get hurt, there is a good chance someone will help. If you have a cell phone, in your phonebook, label 'Emergency" then put in your contact numbers :)

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
Haha, a nice flask of Jack Daniels should do the trick. He was right.. and if your bored and without gas one last party is better than none right?

Top Bottom