Eric Gorr 225 kit performance questions

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
I have read many ( all!!) of the threads about the Gorr 225 kit. I currently am riding a fresh '96 200 with Rev pipe. I am curious about what to expect performance wise from the 225 kit. I would like to know if the kit with the "more everywhere" porting and a rev pipe would be equal or better than ....say a 200 with Freddett porting, rev pipe with R&B carb? I would also like to hear from those that went with the Gorr 225 "mid to top end" porting. Any insights into what to expect from a Gorr 225 vs ktm 200, real 225 HP figures or 1st hand seat of the pants impressions would be appreciated. How is reliability VS stock??

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I have the 200-based 225 kit from Forward Motion. I asked Eric for the Mo' Better Everywhere porting, maybe with a little more bias toward mid and top. My bike previous to the big bore had a Pro Circuit pipe, and a little bit of jetting work as the only significant mods.

After the mod...WOW. I can't compare it to anything other than stock, and I also added a V-Force II at the same time, but the bike got an extreme boost in power, everywhere. It can chug along in tight stuff, and absolutely screams when opened up.

Based on dyno tests of an FRP ported stock bore 200 with a rad valve and rev pipe (Accutemp's bike I think) at 36 hp at the tire, I would estimate my bike at right around 40 hp at the rear tire, but that is JUST a guess.

I would still like to get the RB carb mod to get a bit more juice out of my bike, I really love the setup I have now.

Reliability...I don't really know yet. My bike was run without any problems and NO REBUILDS from the time it was purchased new (in 1997) to the time I took it apart and got the big bore (last winter), and it was ridden ALOT. It might be a long time before I take the motor apart again...we'll see...knock on wood, and all that! At least didn't break this summer.

If you can afford it, get it. ;)
Regards,
Lutz

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: if you can afford it.

If you happen to have plating peelage, add up the cost of a bore and replate to stock piston size, the needed hardware, and you end up with not much less than EGs 225 kit..and THAT includes porting!!

It's like so cheap, you can't not do it. Just from a $/cent point of view.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
:cool: No regrets. :)

My '99 KDX200 has the EG225 & RB carb modification. I am using the FMF REV pipe (KG-30) & FMF TCII S/A. Suspenders compliments of MX-Tech.

All i can say is that i am pleased as I could be with the results. Definitely more power everywhere (bottom & top). I requested that Eric do his "Mo Better Everywhere" porting and that i wanted to run on pump gas.

Before the EG job i was running the FMF Gnarly Torque Pipe (KG-35) & the FMF Turbine Core II Silencer/Spark Arrester. Boyseen Power Reeds (607) w/ Open Air Box.

I installed the modified carb at the same time that i did the cylinder head modifications. I wanted to do one mod at a time but that did not work out.

Is it better than a Fredette porting job? I do not know as i have never ridden a Fredette ported bike.

Is it reliable - well so far nothing seems amiss. I did have some pre-detonation when i first started running the bike :eek: with the new mods but it turned out to be a combination of bad gas and on the edge jetting.

I have noticed a decrease in fuel milage since the change. This could be due to jetting as well as the added cc's.

Eric says that the porting on the KDX200 makes for a much better 225 than going from the KDX220. His words: "The 220 porting is mush".

I would recommend Eric's 225/porting work to anyone with a KDX200. You will not be disappointed with the performance. :cool:

Ask Stan_Flemmings (Brian). He has a '97 KDX200 set up similar to yours (has my old KG-30 pipe). He was able to ride his bike & mine at DW02 to compare.

I suggest calling both Eric & Jeff and discussing this modification with them. They are both very easy to talk to and will explain things even to simpletons like myself. :confused:

Good luck & keep us informeed as to what you end up choosing.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Yes, ask me! The 225 is an awesome bike. It pulls like a tractor down low, and really rips up top. When I'm rich like Jim, I'll have the same stuff done ;) I would recommend it to anyone with a KDX.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Rich - no :(

Lucky - yes :)

I Wendy won the EG porting job at MWSF2K (the first Dirt Week). I won the MX-Tech work at DW01. :thumb:

This greatly reduced my overall cost to have this work done.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Well, whatever you call it, that bike is still what I dream about. The boingers were a little stiff for me, but everything else :) .......

andy jackson

Jul 8, 2002
does eg have second hand barrels with 225kit already done?As i have a 2002 200 & would like to try this but don"t want to sacrfice a new barrel?Wot sort of cost was involved,what thinks had to be changed & would my k35 fmf work as it sounds like you need the rev pipe four this mod.cheers andy.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
All the information you need is available on the Forward Motion website, including pricing info and Eric's phone number, which you should call for specific details, such as if he has any KDX cylinders available. That said, Eric's pricing is excellent.

Also you could most definately keep your k35 pipe; Eric offers three different porting styles. If you want to have your bike setup for the ultimate in low end power, get low end porting and keep your k35. Also, the k35 would probably work well with Mo' Better Everywhere porting. You've got lots of options anyway you look at it.

Lutz

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
00-KDX-200 with EG225, mo better porting. I use the KG-30 rev with TC2 and have the other usual mods. The 225 kit makes a noticable improvement from bottom to top, well worth the price. If it's time for a rebuild and you want more power this is a great choice.

If you really have read many ( all!!) of the threads about the Gorr 225 kit then I'm sure you heard me complain about pinging but don't worry I seem to be the only one with this problem and it was cured with octane.

I ride pretty hard every weekend...rpm's at redline....bottoming suspension... had no reliability problems, though I keep the bike well maintained.

No regrets, I'd do it again.

Top Bottom