Apr 28, 2001
My 2000 KDX 200 is ready for a top end job including replating. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has had the the 225 mods done and what were the results. I am presently running an FMF Torque pipe, Fredette porting, no airbox lid. I am looking for more low and mid without a huge sacrifice on top. I ride in a lot of tight, rocky New England woods, with a about 25% fast open woods roads.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Yes it's worth it. Excellent results with his "Mo Better" porting. More power everywhere, particularly low-mid. The only caveat in your case is that I'd advise you to discuss with Eric the fact that you already have Fredette porting and see what effect that will have, if any, on what he normally does.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
BRush, How did the EG 225 work translate to how the bike feels on the track or in the woods? Like throttle response, power to the ground, top speed, etc.... And do you have to do top ends on a more frequent basis?

I will do a top end this winter and am considering the EG work.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Midhigh
BRush, How did the EG 225 work translate to how the bike feels on the track or in the woods? Like throttle response, power to the ground, top speed, etc..

Much more luggable that the 200, but without the “flattening out” on the top end that you typically get with the (stock) 220. Not hugely different on top than the 200 w/ an FMF pipe, but then I don’t jet for top end. MUCH stronger in the midrange. In August I lent my KDX for the Red Fox Turkey Run to a friend after his bike (KTM) was mechanically DOA. His comment after was along the lines of “What did you do to this thing? I don’t remember my old KDX pulling wheelies like this!” Eric offers three different porting schemes, basically low, mid, and top and porting is included in the bigbore kit, along with PV disassembly and cleaning. It’s one of the best deals going.

Throttle response from the big bore kit is hard to quantify, because I did the RB carb mod at the same time and I chalk up the big improvement off-idle response to that.

Originally posted by Midhigh
And do you have to do top ends on a more frequent basis?

No. After doing one per year and seeing no significant wear, I let it go two seasons and will do one this winter. If you are going to send your head off to Eric, don’t wait until spring because he gets swamped from about Feb to May.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
BRush,

Thanks for the info. I talked with Eric today and as soon as I get back from the Turkey day trip I sending it off to him for the 225cc bore and Mo Better porting.

He said combined with the FMF pipe and V-force set to High tension I would see better top end and rev. The kit and porting would naturally give me more bottom. Thanks for your help.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
BRush knows what he's talking about! I only know what I've read. Everybody that's done it seems to like the 225 mod a lot, and it's considered a great value. The only negative thing that I've heard (except from someone who did "low" vs. "Mo Better" porting) is that fuel consumption goes up. This is probably only an issue to those who are accustomed to long rides...but may be something to consider.

A search on "225" yields all you'd probably ever want to know, w/even more info. and ride reports.

Give us yours when you get your bike together, Mid-high!

Jeff

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd let Mr. Gorr do his 225 kit for you. Then ship it off to Mr. Fredette to let him port it. I've had cylinders ported from both men. And Fredette's will make far more horsepower, revs farther! Jeff is so specialized with the KDX's. That even Eric said that he has all the secrets figured out. Money well spent! Also his Carb boring works well!

Top Bottom