RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I found this ad on craigslist of a yz125 that had a scratched bore, and he was selling it for $550. I called him up, and offered him a trade, and he approved. If I could not hone the scratch out, I would probably get it bored out, so I was wondering how much eric gorr would charge? Any ways the reason it is scratched is because the circlip came off, and had a party in the cylinder. How bad could this scratch be? thanks
- oh yeah, or would I have to get it replated due to it's nikasil bore?(Does this year bike even have nikasil plating)?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes it is a plated cylinder. Yes there is a 99.999999999999999999999% chance that to do the job properly you will need to get it replated since the surface is so thin any hope of "honing it out" is really a lost cause. Yes you should do the big bore it is worth at least 2x every penny.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Patman said:
Yes it is a plated cylinder. Yes there is a 99.999999999999999999999% chance that to do the job properly you will need to get it replated. Yes you should do the big bore it is worth at least 2x every penny.

do you mean the 144 big bore? I dont think i could afford that. I would probably just shoot for the standard bore.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
The yz's rip at 144cc but don't forget that you have to also machine the front of the cases on the yz to allow clearance for the 144 piston . But if yo go to 134cc you just have to do the cylinder and head work .
There is a guy in mechanicsville VA that has a whole yz 144 engine I built for him (I actually built him 3 ) . I think he is going to sell it. Drop me a pm and I can pass on some details .

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
RM85rider123 said:
do you mean the 144 big bore? I dont think i could afford that. I would probably just shoot for the standard bore.
i did not check but don´t think there is so much diference between big bore and original bore repair in price. it definetly worth waiting some more time and saving for a big bore. :nod:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I say do what you can afford. If you can do the 144 great if not do a simple overbore. How long has it been since the bottom end was done? This is a perfect time to take care of that if it's even close to needing a new crank and getting Eric Gorr to take care of it all will ensure you have the highest quality build available.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
How much would the replate cost? I looked on some sight, and they said $180. I think I am pretty positive on this trade, so if I can get the bike in time, I will also probably put up some pics of the cylinder. but atleast on the good side it comes with a complete pro circuit system, boyeson reeds, and pro taper bars. Patman, I will probably check the crank movement, but I will probably re-do the bottom end too.

- I just looked on millenium tech.'s web site and they said $189- $210, so I think I am still good

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I can't tell you how much Eric will charge, call him and ask (BTW calling is better than email). Keep in mind that there is more to it than just punching a bigger hole and replate the new bore. Granted that's what most companies will do but a complete package including expert assembly, PV tweaks, etc... will give you MUCH more bang for the buck. The biggest thing is be honest with yourself and Eric when discussing how you ride. Lots of people say they are very aggressive and the reality is that they wish they were but they would be better served with a mo'betta everywhere setup.

A Hot Rods Crank along with a EG bore/port/assembly will make you laugh like a little school girl compared to what the bike currently is. Yes he really is that good.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Got a friend who is really pleased with EG's 144 "low end" in his RM for woods work. If a 125 is ridden anything like hard, going more than a couple seasons without checking out the lower end is flirting with trouble.
My RM250 starting eating a main bearing on a 200 mile trail ride back in June... mains, seals, crank rebuild, Hot Rod, top end, cylinder replate, aprox $500 (no labor.)

Top Bottom