Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
We're Famous!!

Kiwi,

Thanks for the number, I just called him and sounded like he was expecting my call!:D He said "ya, this other guy I just talked to said you might be calling."

Man, I wish that dude was closer to me, I'd take the bike down there and let them go at it. He had a couple of suggestions though that I should check before he sold me anything (very cool) and said to look toward the stator as the culprit of my starting woes after I determine that everything else is setup correct.

I'll get this thing buttoned up and make my pilgrimage to the sand mecca...Glamis!!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
My 501 had 4 stators over it's expensive life, fixed the hard starting every time.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
You'll find Eric to be a straight up business man. Besides a former ISDE star and factory Penton rider, the man doesnt take advantage of his customers

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
4 STATORS!!

Wow, perhaps this is the problem. Kiwi, did you ever try venting the ignition cover?

duke, not many do business like that anymore. Especially in the dirt bikes, most only want to deal with the current models and won't bother helping you out with some first hand knowledge of the older bikes. He obviously knows this bike well.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
No, never did vent it. I think Smets had a big hose out of the cover one year for just that reason.

It was one of those bikes that was great when running. Never broke down far from camp either - just a short push LOL!

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Just tested the ignition leads, the red & green circuits were both WAY below the tolerances given in the manual. Looks like WE found the problem!!

I'll order the stator today!:cool:

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
stator

Is this something that E-line(I think it was E-line that could rewind stators would be able to fix, or do they have a replacement for the original? Or maybe some one else knows where to get another option.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Good question. I've heard of noting of the sort though for that particular SEM (systematic engine malfunction) ignition. One guy on the board that hung with Smets (allegedly) said that the factory riders were given some upgraded ignitions that worked wonders. But, noone seems to know where they came from.

BTW, rode a KTM 520 last night. Rediculously easy to start!!:confused: Very nice bike, felt like a bicycle compared to my 501. Could be the next scoot.

Top Bottom