Eurobike enthusiasts...a couple of questions

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
1) What do you ride?

2) Why did you decide to buy a bike not made by one of the big 4 (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki)?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
VOR or GasGas. After watching my dad through the 70's riding Husky's & Bultaco, I noticed his bike had everything and my bike required alot more $$ to bring up to "standards" that alrady existed. Around '80 I switched over to Husky and by and large(other than the KDX) never looked back.

WHY spend that extra time/money/effort to get your bike up to "standards" the euro's already have?????? I think the only exception is mx where the euro's seem to be behind and have been sincew the late '70's.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
1) GasGas EC250
2) I'd been a dedicated Honda rider for many years, with a few stays into Suzukis and Kawasakis. I was getting out of the MX thing and wanted to do more woods riding. It was a hard pill to swallow admitting that the GG was better than my CR, but in the woods, there was no arguing...I could go faster for longer, with less effort,

There is simply no comparison (IMO) in this field with regards to the Japanese machines (in stock form). With lots of mods they (Japanese bikes) can be made to work, but as Enduro Nut said, why bother...I can buy it and race it right off the floor.

Some "different" things (some would call wierd) for sure when it first comes to working on them, but it doesn't take long to figure it out and realise the advantages in many ways.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I am pretty sure with respect to dirt bike sales in terms of numbers in the US the big four is as follows:

1 Honda
2 Yamaha
3 KTM
4 Kawasaki

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
1. KTM 200 EXC
2. Got tired of pouring money into RM 125's converting them to woods weapons. Bolt on a skidplate, bark-busters and slave cylinder guard and our KTM is good to go. It's much cheaper than converting a Jap MX bike and the reliability is much higher.

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
Gas Gas 250
euro bikes seem to be more compleat, from the factory, than jap mx'ers -i've spent thousands in converting all 4 jap brands to be more "offroad" suited, usually with less than desired results!! the typical KTM or GG does'nt need much more than handguards,etc... after the purchase- much better value AND these bikes perform better in "trail" type settings than any modified jap mx types(IMO)

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Great question. Unlike the other's who have responded thus far, I have only ridden/owned Husky. My experience with the jap/four is from friends, etc. In Hawaii - trails are Brutal, with a capitol "B." I typically rode with buddies on jap-bikes. The Husky shines when the trail gets worse, and worse. She never left me stranded, ever. In four years of riding in the nastiest environment, she still looked incredible - this is because of the extra care in painting all exposed metals, even hubs - top quality rims, shocks, plastic/graphics - my husky even had five zirk fittings for the rear shock linkage and swingarm pivot! Jap bikes, within a couple rides are ruined for the duration(Clay), and rust and breakage are par for the course. Yes, they are lighter, and handle effortlessly when conditions are perfect. But, no thank you. My two cents.

Alooooooha! Mele Kalikmaka A Haole Makahiki Ho!
TrailTramp

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
The euro bikes seem to have a smoother power delivery than the jap bikes, except for a KDX, which after modifying is an excellent woods bike. I love the hard hit jap bikes have for motocross, but it was a real pain in tight woods. My Gas Gas is super smooth (like a strong 4 stroke). It lets me ride more relaxed, faster, and not be totally exhausted when I'm finished.

I've owned 3 KX250s, a CR250, and an RM250. They were all great bikes for motocross. However, (IMO) unless you are an "A" enduro rider, you don't want any of these for technical woods riding.

JCW

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I'm with Todd on this one ... started on a Penton in 1971 and am now on KTM, so I don't have a lot to compare to. When you get the best to begin with you tend to stick with it. My Penton was good enough to keep up with anyone and except for my age and general slowness now, my KTMs are everything I could would want.

BTW - I now have a 400MXC and a 200MXC. I still have the Penton, and it sits in the corner with a DKW awaiting restoration.

My experience is that the European brands are more complete, and with the exception of final tweeking to fit individual personalities, they are great right out of the box.

That being said, watching Dr. D ride a bone stock (except for his exhaust) YZ450F at Cooperland gave me a new appreciation for rider ability.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
02 FX470E Husaberg
I missed the bandwagon in the 70's with all the great Euro bikes. Not this time! Why a Husaberg? Price! I wanted an orange bike really bad (450 exc) was going to settle for a used 400. But either they were to expensive or to clamped out. I went on a club ride (CCC) and there was a vendor selling bergs. After the drawing I stopped buy his camper and was checking out the bike. His son (like 10-yr. old) told me to buy it. I said this bike is really trick, but a bike like this is way out of my reach in price. Wifey said it's a 02 and priced to move, but she didn’t know how much it was. She sent the owner with a couple brewski's to find me. He feed me the beers and we told lies about the prior day’s ride and talked about the bike. The rest is history. I have never had a bike so tricked out from the factory, for so little $4400 from the crate! Shoot I've spent more than on clamped out Jap bikes!

Last edited:

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Originally posted by JCW
However, (IMO) unless you are an "A" enduro rider, you don't want any of these for technical woods riding.

I agree. Even with a heavier flywheel, the MX bikes do need to be ridden aggresively in the woods. But once you reach the level where you can ride that aggressively, they can be a lot of fun. From purely a cost perspective, I got a leftover KX for a great price, that I could convert to woods for about the same price as a leftover KTM. Otherwise I don't think I would have done it.

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
1. I,ve got a Gas-Gas EC 300 dealer edition. 2. I was looking for something that came ready to race and was reliable. From what I read and those I talked to the bike fit the bill. I also was looking for something different. As for the big 4, the " Sardine Can" as the wife calls my metal garrage, currently holds, 4 Honda, 1 Yamaha, 2 Kawasaki, 2 Suzuki, 1 KTM, 1 Ducati, 1 Hodaka, 1 Eaton, And now, 1 Gas-Gas.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by 70 marlin
02 FX470E Husaberg
I missed the bandwagon in the 70's with all the great Euro bikes. Not this time! Why a Husaberg? Price! I wanted an orange bike really bad (450 exc) was going to settle for a used 400. But either they were to expensive or to clamped out. I went on a club ride (CCC) and there was a vender selling bergs. After the drawing I stopped buy his camper and was checking out the bike. His son (like 10-yr. old) told me to buy it. I said this bike is really trick, but a bike like this is way out of my reach in price. Wifey said it's a 02 and priced to move, but she didn’t know how much it was. She sent the owner with a couple brewski's to find me. He feed me the beers and we told lies about the prior day’s ride and talked about the bike. The rest is history. I have never had a bike so tricked out from the factory, for so little $4400 from the crate! Shoot I've spent more than on clamped out Jap bikes!

Sounds like you got a good deal for a new bike!

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
#1 01 GG EC 300!
#2 Because I rode it and fell in love!!!!!
Im 46, a good senior level,mildly compettive type rider,and this bike is the best invention since the YOYO!! smooth tractable power,and lots of it when you want,and more importantly smooth easy (but still fast ) torqueability type of power when your getting a bit tired out. noisy,hard hitting power is good if your young & foolish but I'll take my GG on a long hard snarly ride over a mx bike any day.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
1) '04 KTM 300 MXC
2) It is the third KTM I have owned, I love the way the bikes are put together, reliability, the fact that very little has to be added to make them race ready. Much better quality than the japanese bikes imho.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
i ride a 00 gasgas ec200 and let me tell you, its an awesome woods bike. Its nimble, quick, great low end, climbs hills like a 4-stroke, truly amazing bike.

But, im selling the bike for either a ktm rfs 250/450, wrf 250/450 because of a few reasons.
1. hard to find parts and theyre expensive. Also the retail value on the euros arent too great with the exception of ktm

I was gona get the 04 husky te250 but was steered away from it from a dealer who does not sell gasgas anymore for a few reasons.
But he admits that gasgas makes one of the best bikes out there. Better than ktm to me but it comes down to opinion.
I really wish i didnt have to sell my bike.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by GASGAS18
i ride a 00 gasgas ec200 and let me tell you, its an awesome woods bike. Its nimble, quick, great low end, climbs hills like a 4-stroke, truly amazing bike.

But, im selling the bike for either a ktm rfs 250/450, wrf 250/450 because of a few reasons.
1. hard to find parts and theyre expensive. Also the retail value on the euros arent too great with the exception of ktm

I was gona get the 04 husky te250 but was steered away from it from a dealer who does not sell gasgas anymore for a few reasons.
But he admits that gasgas makes one of the best bikes out there. Better than ktm to me but it comes down to opinion.
I really wish i didnt have to sell my bike.

The Husky is NICE, a few steps better than the wr. The rfs has lagged behind in development due to the higher selling 400/450/525 unless you spend an extra 700-800 for the big bore. Rethink the Husky - you WILL be suprised! :thumb:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by GASGAS18
1. hard to find parts and theyre expensive.

I can understand the lack of dealers to get parts from, but I haven't found the parts pricing to be bad at all...in fact many times better than Japanese.

I've spent some time on a WR250F and I think you'll be disappointed without considerable mods. The fat tank and "bar in you lap" riding postion make it very hard to get forward on.

The motor is a blast! .... when kept screaming. :thumb:

The suspension is no comparison. Good at moderate pace, but gets very wallowy if pushed. Definite candidate for a revalve.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
Originally posted by Enduro_Nut

The Husky is NICE, a few steps better than the wr. The rfs has lagged behind in development due to the higher selling 400/450/525 unless you spend an extra 700-800 for the big bore. Rethink the Husky - you WILL be suprised! :thumb:

Im just worried about resale value, and parts availability. but theres a dealer about 40 min away. But i might rethink it. I duno, you'll hafta convince me better lol. But it seems like a real nice bike for 5800. If I know the bike will be worth good money when i will sell it, ill def consider it. But my freind whos a dealer told me not to

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
1) 04 Husqvarna TE250
2) In 1999 I was looking for something different to ride. I was tired of the "big 4" bikes. I always thought there had the be a better bike out there for me. I had never been on a MX track and didn't plan on racing MX anytime soon. I was tired of getting a Hon/Yam/Kaw/ect.. and spending money on them to make it easier for me in the woods.
At that point I pick up a 99 KTM 250 mxc and I have never looked back. I am a euro bike junky, I've had 1 KTM, 1 GasGas, 1 TM and 2 Huskys, and have riden Husaburg (friend) and VOR's (friend). IMO the built of the euro bikes is much better.
It is true that some parts can take some time to get and may be priced higher. But, I have found that depends on your dealer. I have never had a dealer with-in 100 mile of me on any of my euro bikes. I always do mail-order (if one dealers doen't have it ,call another). As long as you can work on your own bike you will be o.k. with any bike you buy.

brown

DezDuster

Sponsoring Member
Sep 19, 2002
Husaberg FE501

'Cause I thoroughly enjoy changing the oil after every ride, adjusting the valves every fourth ride, fearing strange noises, doing more preventative maintenance than I ever did with my previous bikes, paying an outrageous purchase price, and putting up with rednecks asking me  " is that one a them german bikes?"

Actually, I found that after racing everything from Yamahas to Husky two strokes through-out the 70's the Berg just feels right. I recently briefly considered an '04 Honda CRF450, but rebuilt the Berg again instead. I can now proudly look forward to many more years of masochistic self indulgence with my trusty steed. I am truly happy.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Husaberg FE400, now a Lineaweaver/Husaberg FE450!

I bought the Husaberg because it was my beleif it was the best for what I had intended to do with it. I never ride tracks. I strictly ride trails of varying types from desert to single track. The euros seem to me the only ones producing true trail bikes. Where the Japanese typically produce bikes for supercross.

Oh sure, you can find some exceptions. But they are either seriously dated offerings such as the DRZ or XR line. Or just afterthoughts such as the WR from Yammie or the CRFX from Honda.

I like the longer wheelbase and overall superior parts found on the euro bikes. Not to mention that it was the lightest electric start bike you could buy at the time. I hate to throw around heavey ass bikes on the trail. And the thought of an e-start was appealing.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Responding to Tony Eeds - I have been riding from the age of 4 - first bike was an Indian 50. My second was a 69 Sachs 125(leading link front susp). Third was 73 Husky WR250. I still have the Sachs and Hushy in the garage awaiting restoration, as well. Too fun:)

Aloooooha!
TrailTramp

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by ToddHawaii
.... My second was a 69 Sachs 125(leading link front susp) ....

My DKW has leading link as well. The fellow I got it from bought it new as (as far as I know) in 1972 and I got it from him when he came down with a liver disease and had to quit riding. I have looked through everything I can find and no one indicates that the leading link was made in 72, so I am not really sure what I have.

Euro bikes are like fine wine ... once you have tried the good stuff, you can't go back. ;)

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Tony, I believe that Penton used the Sachs engine - and that the leading link was on the Penton and Sachs for 69-71. I wasn't aware DKW made a leading link - was it Sachs? Mine is identical to the ones on the movie "On Any Sunday." I can't believe they actually rode this thing in motocross! Check the engine number, and call Summit - or Fisher, they will tell you what year you have. Nice to meet someone who's got some keepers in their garage.

Alooooha
TrailTramp

Top Bottom