Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Did anyone read the article in Racer X about the first two rounds of the THQ Supercross GP?  I noticed that in this article that they complained about the smallish size of the tracks.  Seems to me that everytime they hold an international SX in europe this seems to be the case.

What I can't figure out is why.  Seems to me, that if I recall correctly, they play this game over in europe called Soccer, but they call it Football.  My point is, that this game is played on a field that's BIGGER, than an american football field.  In fact, I checked the FIFA rule book and the Maximum dimensions for an international 'pitch' is 120 yards x 80 yards.  That's 27 yards wider than a US football field. 

There's a lot of soccer teams in Europe and tons of stadiums.  So what gives?  I understand that many teams don't want their field destroyed, but some stadiums don't belong exclusively to one club.  Take Wembley stadium for example.  You could hold a proper supercross there.  They used to hold the world cup of speedway there.  I went to a rock concert there, so I'm sure that the issue is not the actual grass on the field.

Anyone else know what the reasons are?  I'm sure weather is an issue too.  Don't forget, that US SX raced for years  in Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta.  Some years it was great!  Some years it was wet, and some years it was REALLY cold!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Timr its all about lack of confidance, the promoter isnt willing to invest heavily in a big stadium in case no enough people turn out.Its shortsighted as i no longer go to the local sx/arenacross at the birmingham NEC.They want equivalent to $40 plus loads of add ons to watch a lot of riders who to be honest shoudlnt be allowed on a sx track.Once the big name riders stopped going-so did i.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I was talking to a friend of mine in the Czech Republic last week and he says he is building a stadium outside of Prague that will be the largest supercross stadium in the world. I asked him to send some pictures, when I get them I will post them here.

Top Bottom