YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
WOW do I hurt today. But its a good pain. Is that wrong? :rotfl:

1st off I gotta apologize up front. I am terrible with names and even worse at spelling. So if I botch everyones names up well......

Saturday started out with me repeatedly mashing the bloody alarm clock trying to silence the infedel. All I wanted was a little more sleep. The puppy dog was snuggled in next to me and I did not want to move. But then I remembered "Hey I am going ridding today!" and instantly poped outta bed sending the dog flying to the floor giving me a pissed off dazed look. I quickly threw on some clothes, grabed my ice water jug, tossed the dogs into the back yard to do there business and I was off like a heard of turtles.

On my ride up I couldn't help wonder about why my hands were hurting already. I hadent even rode yet. Then I remembered. A coworker and I got new phone books yesterday. We tried to rip our old ones in half. Those things are tough. I got it but at a price. My hands were now throbing. This is gonna be a fun day.

I rolled into the staging area at 9:00am. Right on time. As I roll in I can see that I am not the 1st one here as Cmore is here already with his wr426. Ted is there with Inca, FlyingBrian and his KTM200, and TCTrailrider is there on his KTM300. Cmore and TCtrailrider are a few of my friends from Thumpertalk. I unload and get dressed, ripping yet another zipper off of my new Thor Ride pants :bang: Those suckers are going back for sure. So now I am stuck wearing my old MSR blue gear on my Honda. Isn't there a law against that??

A few stragglers roll in Sndms2 and son (both on yamaha 250 thumpers) from TT and then latter as we are about to leave Roderick rolls in with a friend. Since Roderick was so late we left him in the parking lot to catch up.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/teds_van.jpg

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/inca_woodsy.jpg

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/group_in_parking_lot.jpg

There were 2 other groups of ridders in the lot also. But since they wern't part of our group we took off without them.

We took off around the loop counterclockwise (we were requested to go this direction by some crazy fella, cant remember his name though) We ran the 1st section up past the bridges letting our groups running order sort itself out. Up front was Brian and me, Followed with Sndmn2's son, then c-more and the rest trickled in from there. The group total'd 7 ridders at this point. The trail was in wonderfull shape. Rocks and roots galore with just a smatering of mud. Skippy (yes it appears that my bike has been named, more on that latter) was lovin it. Her new Scotts Dampner was working awsome. Me and Brian were taking turns at the lead, me out front 1st then Brian latter. Flowing that 200KTM was wonderfull. The smell from that blue cloud he would leave behind as he railed a burm was indescrible. Sends my sences into orbit higher than whatever meds Woodsy is on for sure. There is something about the smell of a 2-stroke that I will always love. But I gotta tell ya, My buddie Keith's Trials bike that runs on 110 race gas and bean oil in an incredible assault on the sences. The smell if that exhaust is better than sex. Its that good. I can almost taste it now just talking about it. I wonder If I can bottle that smell and market. I could name it "Ode da bike" Guys everywere would wear it for after shave.

This 1st section of trail was pretty uneventfull. Just lots of great terain. After a particulary nasty run of woops we all took a breather. As we were waiting the rest of the fellas rolled in and stoped. Now our group was totaling somewere around 12-13 people. I lost count.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/1st_rest_stop.jpg

After some small talk Brian realized that he knew one of these new riders. Brian had searved with this fella in the Reserves.

Back on the trail we go with Brian leading the way. I tried to slow down a little but I was having just so much fun chasing brian I couldn't help myself. Eventually We came to the dreaded clear cut I have been hearing about. It wasn't that bad. The trail was established pretty well. I stopped in there to take a few photo's on a rooty hill climb. Strangly the only one that came even close to coming out was of Ted sailing up the hill. But sadly enough, Ted was just so fast that my poor camera coundn't focus on him fast enough.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/ted_the_blur.jpg

We motored on for a wile until we came to the sand bowl on the north end of the trail. I had never been in here. It is on the CCC maps so we dove in to check it out. It was cool. A nice scramble area with sandy hill climbs and rocky ones. Neet stuff.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/sandbowl.jpg

On the way out we gathered at the top as we all worked out way outta the bowl. Ted got stuck towards the top of the climb and 2 other ridders got stuck behind him. At 1st I was thinking that Ted just didn't have enough steam to make the climb. But then I realized that the cagy vet was just teaching these young guys behind him a lesson "Dont follow too close behind on a nasty obsticle." I think Ted has been hanging out with my buddy Joe. Pretty sneaky Ted.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/INca_and_the_sand_hill.jpg

From here on out the trail just got better and better. Brian was in the lead folowed by a fella on a DRZ and then me. As we came around a bend I then learned how FlyinBrian got his name. There was a big water hole maybe 20ft across with many lines thru all nasty. Brian, already movin along pretty well, wheelied into it. According to him the front wheel came down about 1/2 way thru and cross rutted. This is about when I came around the corner, just in time to see the bike stick like glue and Brian fly thru the air. In a flash he was lying on his back making mud angels. The DRZ fella and me snuck thru beside him. I stopped to make sure he could get the bike running, it was laying on its side in the mud after all. As he is trying to get it started Sndmn's son blasts thru once again covering Brian in a wall of mud. Too funny.

We regrouped down the trail a bit. Ted made a comment that my bike wasn't hardly muddy. I just explained that when you are as fast as me you just hydroplane across the top of the mud. When in reality I have a secret weapon. Keith gave me a bottle of Silkolene pro prep. Ya spray it on and the mudd just beads off. Cool stuff. This is also were Woodsy's name for my bike skippy was starting to take hold. Woodsy says that by bike skips across the mud.

We continued on again. I was folowing Brian close behind when he had another brain fart. The trail split around a stump. Instead of going around it he center punched it. The bike stopped dead and stood straight up on the front wheel. I slammed on the binders and barley missed running him over. I was laughing my butt off even before I came to a stop.

We stopped in a field to take in a little history. The fella that Brian knew from the reserves told us about the white cross that is in the field. A buddy of his had a heart attack a few years back and died there while he was ridding with him. We reminised a little about his friend and cleared some of the ferns out from around the cross. It was nice. It also gave us a chance to fix the carb on one of the KTM's that was coming loose.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/the_cemetary.jpg

Now I knew that we had to be getting close to the infamous rooty stair climb. But when we got there it had been re-routed. Sorry Woodsy no pictures this time. The stair step is no more. I heard rumours that it was gone. Gordy of the K.O.M told us at Drummond that they re-routed it.

From here on out it was just a drag race. There was some kid on a white KTM, the DRZ fella, Brian, Cmore and me. All pushing hard. I was behind cmore and pushing hard. At one point I came up a sandy, twisty hill climb. I was pinned in 3rd. I came around a corner at the top of the climb to find cmore and the drz fella stopped like 15 ft in front of me BRAKES :yikes: I just missed taking out cmore. Stopped like 1/2" away from him. Wew.....

And on like this we went, pushing each other the rest of the way back. I had another white knuckler. Something yanked my rh foot off the peg just as I came into a lh corner. WIthout the use of my back brake.... Bonzi off into the woods I go. Oops...lol That Scotts Dampner sure is nice. I can now punch a tree with my hand guard, and aside from the shock you take in your arm the bike stays going straight. Same with the rocks and angled roots. The bike just sticks. I dont even want to think about how many times that thing probably saved me out there. I like it.

We got back to the parking lot around 1:00pm. Some of the group, Brian Ted and some others went back out to ride some more. I had to load up and head home. Wife has to work and I gotta watch the kid.

The weather was perfect all day Saturday. Blue skies, Cool temps, Light breeze, minimal skeeters, and good friends. Does it get any better than that.

Last edited:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
But wait there is more!

I got home around 4:00pm. just in time for the mail to arive. In the mail there was a letter from Ted. Inside there was a Woodsy trailside emergency kit and the stick on letters for the new name of my bike SKIPPY I heard a few times throughout the day about how did me and the bike stay clean. So I guess the name Woodsy dubed my bike has stuck.

Well my wife taked off to work and I am thinking "my sholders hurt, My fingers are throbing..... Hmmmm" I holler at my son. "Bren put on some socks we are going ridding."

We head out and are soon at Horseshoe lake. There is no one there. How can this be. Its a prefect day out and the place is deserted. We gear up and head out on the small loop across the road. It is a nice change of pace to ride behind my 8yr old son after racing thru Evart all day. The pain in my arms soon goes away as I settle into a easy pace behind my son.

He is doing pretty good in the woods on his TTR90. Tree roots dont seem to phase him at all as he just rolls over them. I tried to drill about the 2 most importand things of trail ridding that I could think of.

1. ride on the balls of your feet. He was ridding with his toes sticking way out and catching everything. I explained that he is gonna hit something hard doing this and its gonna hurt.

2. Keep your feet on the pegs. It helps with ballance.

He did pretty good with his feet after that. But keeping them on the pegs is another thing. Ballance is something that he will have to work on. But I think he realized the benifit of keeping your feet tucked in and up.

Going slow behind him I was able to get my digital camera out and snap a photo while riding. That is tricky to say the least. try ridding thru single track one handed and take a picture. It is a bit blurry but you get the idea.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/Brendon_in_motion.jpg

We stopped for a break and I took another shot.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/yzman400/evart/brendon_1.jpg

That loop is like 7 1/2 miles. We made it around in about 1 hour.

I got a big kick outta him once. There was about a 6" rotted tree down in the trail. Bren went around it and I rolled over it. He stopped and said " I coulda went over that dad I just didn't feel like it" ;)

We got back to the parking area. There was another truck and bikes there unloading. I went over and talked for a bit while Brendon rode around that field at the entrance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Ted and I had a talk about how that Waitress in Baldwin knew him. Turns out that I was right in my asumption. And no woodsy I aint gonna tell ya. Figure it out yourself. :nener:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
2 days before major surgery would make most people very uneasy. The reason for this is most folks in my condition have nothing to think about except the road ahead. It is people like you, Don, who take the edge off the "mental anquish" that could be there!!! THANK YOU for taking the time to write the PERFECT trail report!!! I could smell the sweet odor of 2 smoke and feel the warmth of the day as your detailed account of another GREAT Michigan ride with the greatest people on earth unfolded!
The quote "I was laughing my butt off even before I came to a stop." was only superceeded by my own laughter as I read your report! I must admit though that the picture of "Woodsy the owl" on the front of Inca actually brought my eyes to cloudiness - that guy has a way of touching the heart!!
I am glad to hear that the name "Skippy" stuck. The name really does reflect that Pretty machine you ride!!
The pics were AWESOME and greatly appreciated! I really enjoyed the trail shot of your little ridden buddy! I always get the biggest kick out of little heads inside bike helmets. It reminds me so much of when my kids were little!
I am so SORRY to hear that the staircase has been bypassed. That spot was one of my favorite! Kadie LOVED to crawl up that thing in second gear like a Klydesdale pulling a plow! That spot was a GREAT place to show off raw torque.
If, by chance, you need instructions for the emergency kit let me know. Perhaps a visitors trip to Hackley Hospital would earn such a thing. On the other hand, it may take the price of disclosing of how on earth Renie knew Teds name to get the info :)
More great memories have been made - congrats!!
Woodsy

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
WOW is the first thought that came to me as we got ready to head out on the trail, great weather not much dust. (well if you are out front theres not much dust) The first 6-8 miles were brutal with whoops, I was ready for each break we took. It took me a little bit of time to learn to ride on rolling baseballs/softball sized stones. Being that this was a first ride in a long time, I was loving it. I kept trying to get someone else to lead the group all but C-more was more than happy to let me clear the trail of low hanging limbs, find the mud holes,ect.

Now for the real story on the mud hole. Everyone who leads the pack knows that he need to show less skilled riders the lines not to take. It is a thankless job I know but someone has to do it. Kind of like Woodsy's return routes after his trail rides! Sorry Woodsy for the jab but I have been hearing stories of you navigating skills. So anyways I knew the two guys behind me would need help in finding a line around the worst of the mud and water, and also teach them how not to try wheeling across the ruts at a long angle. I guess that I must be a good teacher as not one of the 12 other guys tried a 30mph wheelie across it. Now V-MAN I was just being a good leader again when I showed you that broken poplar stub 4' high right in the middle of the trail.

Now the kid on that 88 KTM 250 was one fast kid I could not keep up with him after my clutch side grip came lose.

Trip # 2

Steve, Ted and myself set out to ride some more, 23 miles is just not enough riding in one day for us hardcore veteran riders. Our plan was to ride back out to the cut across going clock wise this time and add anothe 8 or so more miles. NOW THIS WAS FUN! Steve and I had a ball just wicking up the KTMs and flying. In no time at all we were at the cut across. We took a poll cut across or whole route. Ted cast the deciding vote we would go all the way. Just past the sand bowl in a tight over grown section of the trail I met a rider comming the other way. Good thing I had slowed down so Steve could keep up or it would have been a headon. By performing a STOPPIE and falling off of the bike in the weeds I prevented a major crash. The dude said that he was sorry and that 3 more riders were following him. Steve takes the lead with Ted following as I cleaned out my shorts.
After a few miles of slow speed expecting some bikes no one appeared, so Steve wicks it up again. Less that a mile after wicking it up Steve meets 4 riders headon scared the crap out of him too.

I guess that some How Ted had forgotten my mudhole lesson and fell over in one of them and got just as wet as I did.

Yep I am a little sore to day. Brused knees from the poplar tree and stoppie. sore neck from the stoppie and spear to the neck at the sand bowl.

I can't wait to get back out and do some more teaching and leadership skills.

Until the next ride

Brian

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Another Side
The day starts out bright.
To ride today is right.
We have Don, Ted, Brian, and others too.
But we’ll ride in respect for Whooooooo.

Should we somehow lose our way.
It would be the adventure of the day.
To make sure we stay fit.
We’ll carry Woodsy’s Delight Emergency Kit.

Evart is a challenging trail.
Some will say – not for the frail.
And off we go counter clock wise.
But don’t come to the root surprise.

Eventually there are 13 of us.
However, there is no fuss.
For the one in front of me,
Is the Great Hoot Woodsy.
[Doesn’t he look a rage in his feather cage – see picture]

Of the stories that are told.
There is one slightly old.
Would Brian please post it.
The laughs should give us a fit.

The loop ends rather soon.
It is only an hour past noon.
To call it a day now.
Is not right somehow.

So Steve, Brian and Ted leave in style.
To make the trip up worthwhile.
By going in reverse this time.
It makes the ride sublime.

There are the usual of every ride.
And it’s simply a joy to be alive.
Give Inca a bath and check the mail.
For soon, it is back on the trail.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"It is a thankless job I know but someone has to do it."
Brian - that line says it all! You would think that for all the effort that people like you and I put into breaking trail and leading lost souls onward we would become some sort trusted, desirable folks to be around - a sort of RESPECT... Fact is, last time I was with a group of folks on a trail trip ALL of them had some form of directional device to find their own way back home again - so much for trust!! And now I hear that a fellow rider who has never ridden with me has been sold a bill of goods (probably in the form of a little bow and arrow) and given advice so alarming that it requires him to take jabs at myself in his trail report!!
A thankless job indeed!! Now if I may toss you some meat for any future rides you have with that same group. Keep a close eye on the one that pretends to be 76 plus years young. In all reality he is a 25 year old using this age thing to get the better of you. This fact will REALLY come out if you turn your back on him - dont do it!! Best advice for you concerning him is - he leads with his left but watch his right!!! You NEVER KNOW what that sceeemer is thinking!!!
Now about the fellow riding that pretty new 250 honda. YOu are really fortunate that he didnt stick around for the entire ride and take dinner with you guys! He is the type of soul that will sit quietly by (making you think he is harmless) while the 76 year young one pulls tricks on you and then he will use information he gains to bring great burden to yourself!! Lets just say, he is easily mislead by other more dubious riders and he then uses the info to inflict merciless pain upon your head with perfect timing!
Both of these fellows have that perfect timing - they will wait till you are down for the count and then NAIL you!!! :) :)
GREAT REPORT BRIAN - THANK YOU!!
To my Dear Friend Young Ted - sheesh Ted, your talents in poetry are getting scary!! It is evident that I wont stand a chance at another Duel without some formal poetry lessons... Perhaps during my "rehab time" I shall subscribe to "Poetry for dirtbikers monthly" to keep sharp! (pay attention here Brian as I am about to teach you something about handling this guy) Of course Ted I KNOW that as soon as I do get back up to speed you will CHANGE the choice of weapontry for the duel (this lets him know that I am on to his sceem) and you will try and draw others (here I am warning people like Mweissen and Yzman that I know all about their intentions too) into the "game" with the soul intent of ruffeling some feathers.
Obviously, the wisdom of the owl surpasses all known species on terra firma even when he has a broken wing!!

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Wow ... what a 'tale'... or in this case "tail" ???

For a person who spends much of the week being a 'cube jockey' you sure know how to put a group of riders into situations that bring out the maximum fun and the most mayhem allowed without violating any laws! This story is near epic in proportion ... it has prose, it has pictures, it has innuendos, it has poetry, it has outright slander ... it even has epilogs to the final chapter! When many of the riders also post their own versions and additions to a story, you know that the truth is in there somewhere ... but like all the mud and dust that didn't stick to your Skippy ... the truth of bench racing is usually in the eyes of the beholder, rarely in the ears of the listener.

I had to read all this stuff twice to soak up the details and catch all the 'cuts' ... I can't imagine how this adventure could possibly have been any better other than to have met Woodsy on Kadie out in the woods only to find out that he was lost from the Boon Trail and somehow wound up in Evart. Sometime soon in the future I'm sure ...

I really enjoyed reading this ... keep up the great reports!

terry nestrick :laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"And now I hear that a fellow rider who has never ridden with me has been sold a bill of goods"

and it continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terry, dont believe everything you read..........
By the way, my wife bought me a compass for a Fathers Day gift - she said she heard "rumors" that I might need it to find my way home from the hospital (pretty rough when slander affects the home life). Do any of you guys know which of the letters on it stand for home? and which one stands for Boon? Also, do I need to recharge it or does that little twirly needle thingy in the middle spin on solar energy? I was going to ask you guys about how to stop the thingy from spinning but I figured that out on my own - you mount the compass to a magnet that also serves as a quick mount on the back of Kadies metal flip down mirror....
Personally, I think that little kit that INCA INC sells has a brigher future for success so I am taking them both into surgery with me!!! Now thats one place that even I dont want to get lost (hard to find squirrels in an Operating Room)!

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
OK Woodsy ...

I don't believe everything I read ... but, you know, these guys are the type of folks who wouldn't tell a lie ... they wouldn't stretch the truth, they wouldn't exaggerate the details ... and, you know, they all seem to have the same story.

An Ode to the Woodsy Syndrome
There once came a man upon a green ride,
His antics were great and his tires were wide,
But whenever there came a bend in the trail,
Only the ignorant would follow his tail.

It seems that Woodsy was his name,
And all who knew him did proclaim,
At riding he was better than most,
But his sense of direction was like a post.

Perhaps we shall see whether this little ditty hits the mark or not ... I'm sure some of the others will attest to its correctness ... what do you think about a jury of your peers?

terry nestrick :laugh:

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Oh great, another poet in the fold!! You guys NEVER cease to amaze me!!!

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
Woodsy,

Just wait until you hear Ted sing around a camp fire, way to funny. There is more truth to "Burnt Squirrel" than you will ever know. I have actually had to live off from burnt red squirrel once in the UP when food supplies ran low. HINT To save time and engery just eat several hand fulls of pine needles and you will get the same flavor.

Oh Ted Please sing ole Woodsy a fire side song.

Brian

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN - YOU ARE MERCILESS!!!! but that pic is AWESOME!! The detail of the moment is embodied in the perfect handstand coupled with the headlight shining behind his body and the mud being slung into the air!! Thats a keeper Don!!!
FLYnBrian - Now you understand why ol Woodsy always says "you HAVE to pic your riding partners VERY carefully - cause they may pic (pun intended) you"! You see, these guys will take a little thing like going over the bars and make a big deal out of it! All though, I must admit, that pic would make it in good ol "Crash and Burns" for sure!
Young Ted: I CANT WAIT to hear some of your camp fire songs first hand! If I would have read this thread a little more carefully I would have had you saironaid us at the the house last time you were here! Can you get a song together about Brians now famous "Tasting the Evart Trail Mud" endeavor that Don has clearly brought to our attention? This CERTAINLY has as much "flavor" (once again, pun intended) as Burnt Squirrel!!
Thats some GREAT photagraphy DON!! :thumb:
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN: I just showed that pic to my wife, I pointed out the mud being flung and the fact that the headlight on the bike was still on (bike still running) and how perfect Brian did at keeping his body in a "dive" postion (PERFECT PHOTO POSE BRIAN!). Instead of giggling like I did, she came back with something VERY PROFOUND!! Her immediate comment was: "Why is he taking pictures instead of helping the guy" :) :)
Dont feel to bad Don, she is not a woods rider! She is VERY compassionate though, hmmmmmmmmm, maybe thats a trait that some of my harrastment prone riding buddies could use more of!!!!!! hahahahaha
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
All right I gotta fess up. That is not FlyinBrian. It is a fella called TortureChambers that resides in Hawaii. He was ridding in Canada somewere and did that. But I saw that photo and imediately thought about Brians digger. It looks almost identical.

D

derhhtr

I actually did look like that pose once on my first enduro at standish. They had a check right at the end of this mud hole. I caught the fork tubes on my 78 175 PE on a buried log. The check crew laughed so hard that they forgot to look at the clock I would have burn the check by a minute too, if I had not preformed the trick. I guess I started a fad just watch any free style event and you will see rider do this trick only they do about 30 feet off the ground.

Brian.

PS Don I find some photos of you too :)

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Don - One look at the color of the bike told me it wasn't Brian. However, you shouldn't fess up so easy. Then again, I don't know anything about fessing up.

Woodsy - Brian is referring to Davie And His Dinghy at the Extravaganza last September. I would not have done that at your bedside. It goes over better when the audience participates in the chorus.So now you have one more goal to achieve. Munch on your burnt squirrel around a campfire.

Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Ted - You are correct about Don. I cant believe that he comes clean so easily! Maybe he is doing it out of pity for me but he is turning into a regular BOY SCOUT!! Of course, ol Woodsy knows that it is possible that he (YZMAN) is just trying to lure him into a false security about how good and clean he really is then SNAP - the trap closes.... I have not forgotten that YZMAN is one of the bunch who knows how Renie knew and that if he REALLY was a TRUE BLUE Boy Scout he would fess up :) :) Oh the ploys that come to the mind that is twisted!!!
Brian, I cant wait to hear first hand that song entitled "Davie and the Dinghy" - of course, while the Master of the Trail is singing it I still wont turn my back on him!!
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Me a boy scout..... I Think not.

I just didn't want to dig on Brian too much seeing as I only met and rode with him once.

You Woodsy on the other hand deserve all the digin I can muster mister.... :nener:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
NOW THATS THE YZMAN THAT I REMEMBER! And for a second I thought riding red had REALLY changed him!! :)

Top Bottom