Ever used a portable air conditioner?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Anyone? I'm thinking about getting something for my garage, just wondering how well the portable units work? I've got a attic fan in there already. Garage is roughly 700 sq. feet and insulated. Waste of money?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We were at a race last season and a group of people met up and formed a circle- later we got curious about a strange noise from the circle and when we looked they had each brought a window AC unit and had them mounted on saw horses pointing into a circle about 30 foot diameter. All 7 units were on full blast and everyone inside the circle appeared very comfortable despite the over 100 deg heat that day. Not something I would recommend but was interestig to see.
I would think if the garage was insulated and the door kept closed it would work great- I will let you know in another month or so because there is a window unit mounted in the garage (26 x 42) at our new house

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
window units work well here in Mi, 90-95deg days. will get a bedroom cold ! also my sister uses a little larger one to cool her first floor on miserable days. they do sell them for different ^2 footages. if it was me i would get one rated a little too big, cause they take a while to get to temp , since i would be cooling the garage on a project by project basis i'd want it to cool down quickly but only when i needed it

just my 2 cents :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Still living in the mid 20th century, all I have is window units.

The only one I even turn on until mid-July is the one in the bedroom. I use my attic fan mostly. Any unit will work for 700 SF. It would be better if you have a window, so you don't have to mess up the wall. A door would be another good place. Pull the door, and fill the opening. It would be reversible.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There are air conditioners in Michigan? :p
Thanks. I have no idea when it comes to BTU's vs Sq Feet ... we're talking about Texas size heat too. I do not intend to keep it cool all the time, just on the days I know I'll be out there all the time. Like; a full day coming, turn it on in the morning, out there a couple hours later, shut it down that night.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
HD and Lowe's has charts that are good for our area. They can fix you up.

Stick with 110V if possible and you will not have to add any electrical. A #12 extension cord will work if it isn't too long.

I can cool my living room down in about 20 minutes if needed. It is a pretty good size unit and my house has ZERO insulation.

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
Hey what we use here in the Phoenix area is 12,000 btus (1Ton) per 400 sq feet. At 700 sq ft in Texas I would recommend a 2 ton (24,000 btus). This will cool the area fairly quickly to just go out and do a last minute project.
If you don't have a window to mount in go ahead and open a wall, you will want it mounted at about 5-6 feet off the ground for good air flow.

Definitely watch how low you set the temp the elect bill WILL climb.

Chillers and A/C's are what i have been working on for 15 years so if you have any other ? feel free to ask

Brian

DON'T use an extention cord!! have an outlet put in. 120v would be ok. but 240 will help w/ the bill

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Well, there's window units (as described above) and those work pretty well, in my experience.

But then there's true portable units-- harder to find, and more expensive than a comparable window unit. These roll on casters (so you can move them room-to-room) and have an exhaust hose that you stick out the window or a vent hole (kinda like a dryer exhaust hose). We got a DeLonghi portable unit for use in NY. Didn't work as well as expected. The exhaust hose gets pretty warm, and ends up heating up the room somewhat, defeating the purpose of the A/C!

Go with the window unit. Buy a little bigger than the square footage you really need.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
LoriKTM said:
But then there's true portable units-- harder to find, and more expensive than a comparable window unit. These roll on casters (so you can move them room-to-room) and have an exhaust hose that you stick out the window or a vent hole (kinda like a dryer exhaust hose). We got a DeLonghi portable unit for use in NY. Didn't work as well as expected. The exhaust hose gets pretty warm, and ends up heating up the room somewhat, defeating the purpose of the A/C!

wal-mart has them. after spending a week at loretta's last year with no air, i started looking for one of those for the trailer. the problem is i can't find one small enough. the smallest i've found is 9000 btu, way too much for our trailer. i've just been kind of casually looking at them. i haven't done any real research.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
McMaster-Carr and I believe Grainger has a nice guide to square BTU rating per footage. I'd go for the 220 volt ones if possible, but this does make them less usable as a portable.

PS I'm with Eeds all we have is window air conditioners :ohmy:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
RYDMOTO said:
Grainger has some.You may want to check out evaporative air conditioners too.

We have WAY too much humidity for swamp boxes ...

Okie, did you ever think you would consider putting AC in the garage when you were in IL?

Welcome to Texas!! :ohmy:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tony Eeds said:
Okie, did you ever think you would consider putting AC in the garage when you were in IL?

Welcome to Texas!! :ohmy:
You know I have thought about it but figure garage = man space and maybe I just need to sweat a bit in my man space. Heck even yesterday when I was dripping puddles on the floor I just grabbed a cold bottle of Gatoraid from the fridge in the shop, enjoyed the little blast of cool air and went back to melting like Frosty the Snowman :) Suck it up Okie ;) I can't believe Rich hasn't come in here and called you a girl yet!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Is there anyway to rob from the household HVAC ductwork? That way you would have both cooling and heating. It's a thought and something that usually isn't too difficult to do. Hell... I can come over with a chain saw and help you out! :yikes:

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
Okiewan said:
Thanks. I have no idea when it comes to BTU's vs Sq Feet ... we're talking about Texas size heat too. I do not intend to keep it cool all the time, just on the days I know I'll be out there all the time. Like; a full day coming, turn it on in the morning, out there a couple hours later, shut it down that night.
Sq. Feet X 50 = BTU Size (approx.) based on 8 foot ceilings. 35,000 BTUs in your case.
You won't find a portable over 12K BTU I Think.
Even the largest window unit won't do it.
I think you are gonna have to go with the split system AC $$$$.
You better live in that garage!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Had a buddy who tried one in his shop.........maybe it was out of "balance" or something, but it vibrated and made a rachet!........that's my only experience.
I'm in the process of setting up an enclosed trailer with beds, small bath......etc. Picked up a freezing cold window ac unit at a garage sale for $25!

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
Also Check into a "ductless system". Very nice units they go up to 2 1/2 tons = 30,000 btus. only problem is you will need professional installation, unless you get the precharged line set. You have a fan coil hanging on your wall inside about 2'x1'x1', then a condenser on the ground outside about 3'x2'x1'. This will give you a/c heat or just fan. Grainger does sell these and run from $1000 to 2500. But definitely increase resale value.

Brian

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
A portable airconditioner can be used effeciently in may applications as you can see by the attatched image
pic06172.jpg

Top Bottom