EXC 250: Stock silencer or FMF: which is best?

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
I just bought an 01 EXC 250. The stock silencer looks huge sticken out the back. Makes me wonder how this will hold up when I smack it good on something? Has anyone swaped their stocker for an FMF turbine II. Does it help performance? Looks like it would be lighter.

Any feedback would be great.

Dennis

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Dennis

My old 97 300 EXc and my current 00 300 EXc both have the classic stock KTM boomerang silencer huge aint it....i have smacked both of them into MANY MANY things (it seems I do lots of soil, rock, and bark sampling while riding.) Never a problem with mine. I cant speak to the performance fo the FMF though. Personally - i wont replace mine with aftermarket until i am forced to because the stocker has finally gotten damaged. As to the weight savings...sure might be nice... but I think I will go on a diet myself first! (would do me some good anyhow)

GASH

Jul 1, 2002
I put a FMF muffler on my 01 250 exc and noticed a small difference. But when I put on the FMF gnarly pipe it gave me a **** load more power and also made the bike much easier to ride. Definatly worth it

cetris

May 8, 2001
How about the sound levels. I think the stock pipe is fairly quiet....right? Does the FMF pipe and/or silencer make it any louder? Somebody told me they put an E-Line CF guard on their pipe and it actually made the pipe significantly quieter. I used to have a 360 MXC and it was LOUD with both the stock pipe and an FMF Fatty that I put on it. Oh, and it VVVIIIIBBBBRRRRAAAATTTTEEEEED a lot too. :scream:

Thanks.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
cetris, I am running the stock pipe/SA combo. I put on a e line carbon fiber guard and definitely noticed a drop in noise. I cant see spending 150.00 on something unless it is something stellar and will totally change the way I think of my bike. Mine isnt annoying enough to me to want to change it.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I did same day, same track back-to-back testing when I installed the TCII on my 99 250EXC. No difference at all except for a weight savings. I could not detect any difference in noise level, either. I had all 3 FMF pipes and those did make some noticeable differences but that was true on either silencer. The stockers seem to hold up well to woods abuse, too.

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know what you're getting for your money before you cut loose with your change. Seems like I'm always spending money I don't have but seem to find on something I think I need but don't.

Thanks,

Dennis

Wattsy_Rules

Dec 4, 2001
I had a 98 EXC 250 (before it was stolen 6 weeks ago) and thought seriously about putting an aftermarket muffler on it. Instead I pulled the existing muffler apart and cut it just before the weld seem of the bend with a high speed aluminium saw. I then cut the internals down. You need a few small welds on the internal workings, but nothing too difficult. Repack the muffler and put it back together and you will have yourself an SX muffler that will ad more power. this improvement didn't cost me anything as I had access to the equipment, but I imagine you would pay more than a few dollars to have the Aluminium cut and internals welded. All up this took about 45 minutes.

I race enduro's in Australia and it has passed the noise test every time.

Top Bottom