geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Have you heard all the complaints about this bike for the woods? Too powerful? Too tiring? Too big and bad? Harder to control?etc.

Well, how about some solutions. Especially from those that ride this bike in the woods effectively and have great fun. (I'm thinking of getting one, and kind of want to make a a big contrast to my other bike, an exc 200.)

If throttle control is difficult on gnarly trails in the woods with a 520, or 540, how about a throttle limiter for that kind of riding. Something you can take on and off the bike for the particular riding you want to do. Wow. Wouldn't this make it a more versatile bike? Kind of like giving you and EXC 400 and 520 in the same bike. They do weight the same. Is this an answer, or just a stupid idea.

trailrider.com has a good test on the 02 520 in the woods, and they compare it to the 400. THEY LIKE THE 520 IN THE WOODS! It's under the column new machines. Here's the link. I hope it works:
http://trailrider.com/story.php3?=42

What do you think?

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Last year I rode a dualsport ride with a group of 4 guys all on new 520exc's with Scotts dampers. They ripped, while I broke 2 ribs just trying to keep up. It was mostly real tight woods and "quad width" single track, so their monster motors weren't really needed. My point being, the bike is great for the woods. Those guys could throw their bikes around like kx100's and they said that they loved the bikes for that type of riding.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
My buddy has a 520 EXC and we swap bikes back and forth. The power is very easy to control, like a reostat. I wouldn't worry aboput any sort of throttle limiting device. The only complaint that we both have with the 520 in the tight woods is that it just doesn't want to turn, it likes to stand up and keep going straight. I find it tiring in that regard even though the power is very smooth. In the more open stuff, it rocks.

WAKEMAN

Dec 12, 2001
I ride an exc 520 in northern michigan. I used to ride a xr600. the 520 is a joy in the woods. I also have a kdx220. the 520 is very controllable. just dont hold it wide open in the tight stuff!

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
I bought my 520 EXC for the forest of Northern California and love it. It's been 18 months now and I will buy another if this one ever wears out.
ps. I also put the 16mm clamps on before I ever rode the bike and I have no turning problems with my limited ability.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by Gardener
The only complaint that we both have with the 520 in the tight woods is that it just doesn't want to turn, it likes to stand up and keep going straight. I find it tiring in that regard even though the power is very smooth. In the more open stuff, it rocks.
I agree with this statement.....400 for tight stuff,..and the 520 for chewing up some terrain! :aj:

Johno!

Jul 21, 2002
Hmm, I don't agree with the last reply, I own a 520 2002 model and have done approx 7500 kms and it is great in the tight. The only reason mine tends to stand up is cause the front wheel keeps lifting out of the berms due to the magnificent power and drive. I moded mine with a Pro rider end cap and she makes about 49-50hp on the dyno with a knobby on. ( some people put rode tyres on then dyno if you did this the figures would be way up) Anyway it makes great power and drive and I've outrun plenty of these tiny 400's in the tight. ( When it comes to open country they don't get to see which way you went ) The bottom line is, if you practise and get used to the power you can pretty much out run anything in the tight or open. Its up to you how hard you turn the throttle and if your strong enough to hang onto it your going to be super fast, I can't imagine owning anything else at present.

parish8

Nov 29, 2001
i have been on a xr250 for a couple of years and thought it was prety fun in the tight stuff. one week ago i got the 520 and for the first hour it felt prelty wierd but after only about 30 miles in the trees i think i am as fast as i was on the xr. i am prety suprized how quickly i got used to the power and how easy it is to control. i can only get faster now. now the xr feels like a complete slug.

tetonbutch

Apr 2, 2002
I have been on my 02 520 exc for 6 months and ride 90% tight stuff. My bike smokes em!!! I have become the one to try the hills first. I was worried about over heating cause alot of my time is spent in 1-2-3rd gear and I have seen posts on this subject. I have never had it boil over although I lug it instead of clutch it. I cant emagime anyone buying this bike and complaining about its woods manners. After all, we all know KTM builds there EXC's to rip. The 520 does just that. Enjoy and Hang On!!!!!!!

Top Bottom