EXC 520 first ride rapport & a few questions.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hi all

After the first couple of rides on my new EXC 520, I feel it's right to give my opinion and ask a few questions.

Trails:
On very rough and rocky trails ( slow speed, perhaps 2-15 kph ) the bike is very good and really much better than I expected, although I find my old XR4 better still. When the trail opens up a bit ( 2 and 3 gear) the bike shines. The engine is surprisingly smooth if kept low in the RPM's. It took a few km. to find out that it is best to keep the bike a gear high, as the bike had a tendency to lift the front in mid turn. The suspension is soft and handles the trail junk very well. The bike feels stable even in sand and rocks.

Wheelie's
The powerful and torque engine seems to make the bike excellent for wheelie's. I did pull few short ones, just to get a idea how the bike would behave and it looks promising. Since all my recent bikes have had dry sump lubrication I wonder if the fact that this is a low quantity wet sump engine can make prolonged wheelie's unsafe? Does anyone here know if the oilpressure might drop as a results of the oilpumps sucking air during wheelie's? Anyone tried a km. or longer wheelie's on a RFS?

Fire roads & power
Being in the process of braking in the bike I have avoided high RPM and hard throttle, so I do not really know how fast the bike is when held wide open. Looking very much forward to that experience. I found the suspension soft on the trail so I worry a bit if the suspension will not take heavy hits to well. My dealer told me that a good break-in period is 300 km or 2-3 tanks of gas. Anyone have a opinion on the best break-in procedure?

Turning
Not sure yet. The bike is being broken in so it's not ridden hard. Turning on slow trails is fine, but I do not know how the bike turns when ridden harder. I am sure the bike is perfect for power slides though.

In a few words I am very happy with the bike. I was considering a EXC 380 but I'm happy I chose the 520. I will dualsport the bike next week, and it will be interesting to see how the bike holds up during the heavy use it will suffer.

OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
Originally posted by snullia
Hi all

After the first couple of rides on my new EXC 520, I feel it's right to give my opinion and ask a few questions.

Fire roads & power
Being in the process of braking in the bike I have avoided high RPM and hard throttle, so I do not really know how fast the bike is when held wide open.

Turning
Not sure yet. The bike is being broken in so it's not ridden hard.

It appears you might not be ready to give a full opinion, don't worry about top speed and all that stuff. Go out and get a group together and see how you ride this bike in conjunction with other riders on different bikes. I have just recently purchased the 300 EXC, I'm doing things on this bike I couldn't do on my previous bike. (drz400) and I'm passing guys on different bikes I couldn't pass before. I've no doubt this bike is going to make me a better rider in time...

Enjoy your new bike.....................:aj:

LOSTT

Mar 18, 2002
I HAVE OWNED A 520 EXC FOR @ 3 MONTHS NOW & LOVE IT.. LITTLE THINGS I DID TO MAKE IT BETTER IS TALL SEAT FOAM & GRIPPER SEAT COVER(PUT YOU MORE FRONT ON THE BIKE& LETS YOU HOLD ON MORE WITH KNEES)..I ALSO CHANGE THE FOR SPRINGS.. STOCK IS .42 ..I WENT WITH RACETECH .46'S..IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. THE FRONT DOESN'T SKIP @ OVER ROCKS ANY MORE..
AS FOR WHEELIES..PUT IT IN FORTH & WHEELIE AWAY.......
ANY ????? JUST GIVE ME AN E-MAIL..SOLOSTZX9@AOL.COM
TAKE IT EZ
GREG.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks guys for the replies

Greg - maybe I worry to much. Still, a guy with a 2001 RFS read in his KTM manual that KTM warns against prolonged wheelies (same topic on another board). He obviously has a different manual from me as I can not find this in mine.

.46 springs? Very stiff. Where do you ride. In the desert?

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Not Just KTM

I read on the YZF Forum of someone doing a 1/2 mile wheelie on his YZ400F and promptly lunching his motor so it probably is good advise not to get too carried away.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks guys

Greg - Nice site, like the videos. I'm not sure if I will use SS filters. Don't know if they are as good. I want the very best for my bike. Do you know how they compare?

Have you been pulling long wheelies ( km +) on your bike? The 520 must be excellent for this, as the engines is not lacking torque.

Top Bottom