DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
I have an '99 exc 125. I have gone on only 2 trips with it. I have ridden it alot on the farm.

Ok, now my question: How hard can i run this on the sand? It is a totally different machine than the sx. It is alot more mellow. Can i run it for long amounts of time on the powerband on the sand? I used to ride a 65, then an 85, and i gunned those all the time. I just dont want to be up there and destroy my 125.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You will run the motor hotter and harder in the deep sand, for sure.

To increase the safety margin, you might want to go up one size on the main jet; maybe 2 if the sand dunes are at a lower elevation than your normal trails.

If it is jetted right and the cooling system and motor are working properly, your EXC should be able to handle a nice long ride in the sand, IMO.

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
:think: Just outa curiosity, do you ride an exc 2 stroke? Anyways, i know the sands are pretty hard on bikes, so that is why i am worried. I just dont want to go out there and blow my motor. To be honest with you, i dont have a clue about the jets. I know the cooling system is in great shape, since i flushed and checked everything.

Do you think i am going overboard to be running a paddle tire on it Dave?

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
Not to be a jerk, but should this be in the KTM section????

Also, I ride a '03 sx 125, I ride in the sand hills in northern MI, more or less shallow sand, and I didn't have any problems. Its still the same with the other 2 stoker, they'll blow if you hold them wide open for any scary-long amount of time. And the paddle, it depends in the type of sand, deep, all sand, yeah, you might want it. But if theres sand, hardpack, mountainous trails, with rocks and what-not, no a paddle isn't needed.
Also, always, always, check to make sure that your not running lean, that will destroy you motor and end your ride. There are many forums on here about jetting.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
dave gave you fine advice. Go up on the main jet at least one size; two sizes if you run a paddle tire. Remember to shift up! :ride:

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
I posted this in the 2 stroke section, since no one hardly looks and or posts in the ktm section. Plus others might have info and they dont check the ktm page.

Top Bottom