mknight

Jun 14, 2000
Here's the deal....my buddy at work has a 2001 300 E/XC. I have a '98 300 M/XC. He also has a 97 1/2 ('98 ?) 200 E/XC Jack Piner Special. He invited me to go on a night trail ride with him tonight on some great local single track. He offered me the light off of his 200 assuming it would mount and work on my 300. Does my 300 M/XC have a lighting coil and does it simply "plug-in" or is it more involved than this? I have never looked at or even messed with any of my wiring.

I know the stock lights on these bikes aren't great but it is better than nothing if it would work.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Yep, you have the lighting coil. As far as wiring, I'm not sure. But I would think that you have that too.

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
Thanks for the response.....can anyone help me understand what it is that I'm looking for. I guess I'm just a little unclear on what the lighting coil is, voltage regulator, and what wiring to look for. If I take my tank off should it be located somewhere under there?

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Added aftermarket headlight (UFO) and taillight (Acerbis) to my husband's '99 250 MXC last year. I don't remember if there is a connector already or not, but there should be a pair of wires, yellow and brown, bundled under your gas tank-- these are the wires off your lighting coil.

A 12V voltage regulator is recommended. I believe Moose makes one, and so do some others. You can get by without the regulator, but your headlight will last a lot longer with it. We just added a regulator on to the MXC this year.
It's a pretty simple task to add lights. Just make sure you have some extra wire (to go to a taillight, if you want) and some fully insulated male/female quick-disconnect (.250" spade) terminals. It will make your life a lot easier.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by mknight
If I take my tank off should it be located somewhere under there?

The coil is on the left side of motor inside the plate where your shifter is. Go ahead and take it off to check, there's no fluid there. You need to be taking this off periodically to make sure you see no fluid to begin with.

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by yarbonwick

The coil is on the left side of motor inside the plate where your shifter is. Go ahead and take it off to check, there's no fluid there. You need to be taking this off periodically to make sure you see no fluid to begin with.

Thanks again for the responses. I have occasionally taken off the ignition/coil cover on the left side to spray it out with WD-40 and make sure it is good and clean in there. I just have my terminology and semantics incorrect.....I assumed the coil was the little black unit (not the CDI black box) located on the frame under the tank. Just out of curiosity, what is that (where the spark plug wire comes out of)?

Anyway, I checked last night when I got home from work and I could see a bundle of wires under my tank with a zip tie on them. There was a yellow wire not connected to anything but I didn't see a brown one that was very obvious (I probably should have looked harder).

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
That's the coil for the plug. I guess I should be formal. The ignition cover houses the Stator with your exciter coils (and w/ lighting coils if so equipped) along with the flywheel.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom