leishmaa

Nov 14, 2004
I am planning on purchasing an EXC200 but have run across some questions in deciding between years. First off, I live in CA so and would prefer a green sticker bike ... which means 2002 or older.

I have noticed that some years have 5 spd wide ratio transmissions and otheres have 6 spd wide ratio transmissions. Does anyone out there have anything to say about the two transmissions?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

GO-RIDE.com

Dec 27, 2004
I'm not sure about the older 5 spd versions, but my '03 200 EXC has a very wide ratio 6 spd. With the stock 14x48 gearing 1st gear is almost useless accept in trials type situations, but at the same time 6th gear is extremely tall. 90% of the time I start off in 2nd and only use the gears through 5th. 6th is nice open roads and 1st is useful if you need to walk the bike up some crazy ledge, but otherwise I ride it like a 4 spd from 2nd to 5th.

Of course there is the option to change the 14x48. Many riders run a 46 or even a 45. I've thought about this, but the gap between 1st and 2nd is pretty big, so I'm not sure I would like it, and I'm not sure if 6th would be useful anymore. If I could have found an MXC that's what I would have bought. It has a close ratio 6 speed in the 200. You would loose some top speed because 6th is nowhere near as tall, but you would gain a 1st gear that is useful without a big gap to 2nd.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Top Bottom