g_man80

Nov 30, 2004
I just picked up an '03 crf450 and had it out for the first two rides this week (just trail riding). The chain slack is adjusted correctly and the sprockets are fine, but it seems to be making a lot of noise (under power). The trails are pretty rockey and rough and when I'm pulling at low rpm the chain makes a slapping/banging noise. It's only at low rpm. When I get into the meat of the power the chain smooths out and the noise goes away. My cr250 did it a little bit, but this is a lot more noticable. The chain doesn't seem worn out, but could it be time for a new one? And to get an idea, the bike only has about 15 hours on it total.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
G

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Simple fix :nod:

Get a louder pipe. :cool:

Seriously now ,,, it is difficult to recomend a solution.

If you are used to a screaming 2stroke and are now riding a bone stock 4banger with the factory noise difuser still plugging the pipe up, it is not unreasonable to even be able the cam chain.

krosser

Apr 7, 2003
They all do it. Keep an eye on the slipper they wear out quick and the underneath front where you don't notice. T.M Designs do a much longer lasting version but it's even louder than the stock one.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
With only 15 hours on the old girl it shouldn't be something worn out that much.

My old 98 XR400 used to be noisy like that at first and would freak me out riding close past something that would reflect noise back to me.

I was in the Bozeman area the other day and heard these locals --> http://www.citizensforbalanceduse.com/ on the radio. :cool:

Next weekend (July 9+10) is the Columbus,MT hillclimb.

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
This works as I have a 04 CRF450.They all do this.Go to a hardware store and buy piece of 1/8"rubber matting.Cut to fit and place it under the top part of your front chain guide.This will quiet that noise 90%.It works great,and its clean.Good luck!!! :cool:

g_man80

Nov 30, 2004
02'Cr Rider said:
This works as I have a 04 CRF450.They all do this.Go to a hardware store and buy piece of 1/8"rubber matting.Cut to fit and place it under the top part of your front chain guide.This will quiet that noise 90%.It works great,and its clean.Good luck!!! :cool:
Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to try it out. For placement, you are saying on top of the swingarm under the chain guide (right before the swing arm bolt)? Basically lift up the chain guide and slide the rubber matting under it, done.

Thanks again,
G

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
The spot you mention is where you put the piece of rubber.Loosen the top two screws on the chain guide,place the rubber mat under the chain guide,then cut to fit with razor blade.Mark holes for the screws in rubber mat,take out the rubber mat and cut screw holes out,put back in and tighten it down and your done.You will be very happy with this mod.make sure you cover enough of theguide as possible..

Section 8

Jul 13, 2003
and pictures of this?

I also have an 04 crf 450 and i just bought a moose chain guide, the plastic top portion was such a tight fit theres no way i'm getting anything else in between the plastic and the aluminum side piece.

Top Bottom