Excessive wear on new clutch

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
what causes a clutch basket to wear faster than it should? within 5 or 6 rides my new basket and inner hub started notching again. is there a bearing on the drive shaft or something that may cause the basket to wobble?
I change my oil every 2 rides, but changing a clutch that often is ridiculous :bang:

thanks for any help.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
there are needle bearings that the basket rides on. but i dont see that causing notching again. how hard do you ride the bike ? if you racing then i can see it notching pretty quickly.
if its not hanging up and draggin then dont worry about it.

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
well the clutch feel is very grabby, when you startout from a standstill it rumbles abit but then releases. Its a 2 stroke so i do ride the clutch all the time, but it seems o wear faster than normal. Majority of my riding is tracks and now trails since its been raining, but not too much racing.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
the rumbling then releasing sounds like the plates are sticking - assuming you haven't left the bike sitting for long periods, I'd try changing oils - I'm also assuming you have been in there and separated/inspected everything. how many baskets have you been through? the grabby feeling is not necessarily clutch wear

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
inspected and theres notching on both the new inner hub and new basket, approx 5 or 6 rides!!! I replaced everything plates, basket and inner hub even a new lock washer. then this. The clutch set beore this lasted about a year and half, this one only 6 months.

thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming if you got anymore.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
man - what kind of bike? My buddy is having a similar issue with his YZ250F - he keeps burning plates - like to the tune of a 2 or 3 races. not unheard of but just out of the blue - he got a year and change on the first one, now this.....how is the pushrod? any chance its not "smoothly" engaging the clutch plates? only thing that would the wear you are saying is a hard engagement or rough riding that I can think of - are you riding MX tracks? What are you doing while landing? on the gas, off the gas, on the clutch, off the clutch? The impact of the rear wheel landing on a jump can transmit some gusto to the clutch...that's what I can think of...

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
BigSchafft said:
The clutch set beore this lasted about a year and half, this one only 6 months.

thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming if you got anymore.

what brands, i have the oem still in my 03cr, and abuse that thing like it stole something, my riding partner has oem in his 01cr and another just replaced his last year on a 96cr and he had his pro card back when he bought it
i had some trouble with my old 88 and took that one apart 2 or 3 time in the same day , id disassemble and inspect again if i was you , 30-40minute tops to doublecheck......what the heck

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
its a barnett plate set with oem hub and basket. might need to go the hinson route on my next replacement.

I am all over the gas when I do land a jump on a track, so that could lead to something,

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Masterphil said:
Should cure the notching problem.
Master PHil,

can I get you to sponsor me one ;)

THe akadizing is good, but i have heard that they wear as well, not exactly bulletproof but better than OEM, just so darn expensive

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…