Exhaust Dampers (frame to expansion chamber mounting brackets)

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I am continuing my 95 KDX 200 restore project, and started looking up needed factory parts. Ouch.

So the question for the day is those "Exhaust Damper front" and "Exhaust Damper Rear" parts (1921-001 and 1922-001). Kawasaki wants $17 each for them.

I have "half of them" on my bike now... just a steel tab. So whatever else they consist of, I have no idea. And at $17, not only are the factory parts over priced, as both on my bike are broken, they may be under designed as well.

So what are they? Two steel tabs with a thick rubber or polyurethane block in between? Are they supposed to flex on all axis, or just on a plane? Any aftermarket options?

For that kind of change, it would be worth fabricating my own out of either heim joints, other bushings, or even polyurethane epoxy. To know the right approach, I would need to know what they are supposed to do besides hold the expansion chamber on... do they isolate all vibration, or confine movement to a single plane, or what?

And while we are on the exhaust topic, what does the seal between the expansion chamber and the silencer look like? Is that a lead fabric looking thing like the one for my KLR-250 was? Or is it a steel sleeve? Thats another $25 Kawasaki part... (5305-001).

Thanks for any tips!

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
You're correct about the exhaust hangers (two steel parts with rubber in between) but the pipe to silencer joint is a heavy rubber tube.

Also, you definitely need to check Service Honda for pricing; the exhaust hangers are <$12.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
The stock exhaust hangers flex in all planes/axis and are designed to support the pipe while affording some vibration isolation.

McMaster-Carr industrial supply has simple polyurethane mounts of various sizes that you could easily adapt for this application. Try this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1363/=1hiuit

The muffler-to-chamber connector appears to be a silicone rubber sleeve.

Mud

Top Bottom