mavbike

Nov 22, 2003
Have stock 96 KDX200, and want to get aftermarket exhaust. Freddette recomends FMF. I am looking at the rev (desert pipe) for the extra power, but I ride mostly tight woods, and do not want to give up any bottom end. Has anyone tried this pipe???????

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Try doing a search in the Canadian Dave's JustKDX

The mods will probably move you there anyway!

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
I just installed the gnarly woods pipe on my '98 KDX 200 and am loving it. I also ride tight trails so the choice of the woods pipe over the rev pipe was easy. I ride with a guy who has an 00 KDX 200 with an FMF pipe. Before I got mine, he told me that his was the woods pipe. Turns out, his is the rev or desert pipe. After riding both back to back, I think the big difference is that the rev pipe comes on more suddenly, has a harder hit, more like a motocross bike. It isn't real abrupt, just more so than the woods pipe. If you ride tight trails, get the woods pipe and as another member of this group told me "you won't be sorry."
Be sure to lose the snorkel and jet the bike properly.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
IMO, if you ride mostly single track, unless you're a competitive B-level or above rider, the desert pipe gets you into more trouble than it gets you out of. It puts a definite hook into the powerband that just gets more and more difficult to deal with when you're worn out at the end of a long ride, or when the trail is nasty. Faster riders don't seem to have so much trouble dealing with that hook, since they are on the pipe so much of the time.

The woods pipe will pull itself up from the bottom, often without needing a lot of clutch work. If you let the big pipe get down, for example if you get out of shape on the side of a hill, it can sometimes take some pretty good clutch & throttle control to regain momentum. I don't know about you, but when I get tired those are the things that get sloppy first.

I have both pipes, and while the desert pipe is a definite hoot, I have humbly put the woods pipe back on for now.

BTW, the actual designation for the desert pipe is the '-30', and the woods pipe is the '-35'. They can be distinguished by the size of the bell section -  the woods pipe is about 11 inches around the bell; the desert pipe is about 14 or so. It also gets beat up a bunch more in the rocks.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I have the -35 woods pipe and I like it. The only down side is that it will cause you to lose about 5 mph top end speed (if that matters). It will be a huge boost down low and in tight woods. With proper jetting, you may try the -35 and also gear up with a 14 tooth countersprocket to spread out the gearing and get the top end speed back. I like this combo because I have plenty of power and I don't have to shift gears a lot in tight woods.

You can't go wrong with FMF. I had a weld joint leak on a Pro Circuit after 1 year on a KX250. Between my bikes and my kids bikes I have owned about 10 FMFs and you will wear the bike out before anything happens to the pipes.

JCW

Top Bottom