Exhaust(ing) Troubles

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Recently, I was given an 1986XR200.  The bike came to me in three boxes;right place, right time I guess.

Anyway, I just finished rebuilding the engine, and put it in the cradle last night. Everything went well until I got to the exhaust.

My problem?  The exhaust  header will not snug itself into place. 

I have the copper "o" ring washer, the header, the collar that bolts to the cylinder head, and the split collar that fits over the pipe to keep it from just sliding through the collar.  I can tighten down the bolts until the colar is bottomed out on the cylinder, but the pipe is still loose.  The copper ring is not compressed, not even a little bit.

Am I missing something here?  is there another washer or something that I need?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hi Papa.

If my memory serves me correctly, (don't everyone laugh all at once), :confused: , those little split collars can be installed upside down.

This allows the thin ends of the split collars to slip through the tightening collar ring.

Try turning them around so that the thick ends are against the collar and the thin ends are against the pipe flange.

Just a thought.

Ol'89r

B

biglou

Totally uninformed about this specific model, but relative to the other 4strokes I've seen:  Donut gasket missing?  Just thinking out loud, PK!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Does this help?

Attachments

• xr200.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 160

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I've got the copper ring(gasket) in there Lou

VD-That's the same image I have. But thanks anyhoo. :)

I've got it assembled in the same order shown in the above image. I'm heading over to the local dealership now to ask if they have any suggestions.

Any other ideas?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Papakeith

I've got it assembled in the same order shown in the above image.

Any other ideas?

PK.

Try reversing the split collars. There should be a machined recess in the tightning collar for the thick ends of the split collars to fit into. The thin ends should go against the pipe flange. I realize this is backwards from what VD's image shows, but try it.

BTW, your mailbox is full.

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks for re-posting that. I'll give it a try.
One question though what will keep the split collar from falling off of the pipe flange? Just the pressure from the big ends?
I'm still gonna try it. Just curious!
Thanks! :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Papakeith

One question though what will keep the split collar from falling off of the pipe flange? Just the pressure from the big ends?

Yes, and the fact that they fit down into the machined recess of the tightening collar.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I figured they would sit in the recess, but I was curious about where the small ends( for lack of a better term) would butt up against the header flange.

Either way. Your suggestion worked like a charm. :yeehaw:
I was all ready to put the chain on and go for a maiden spin, when I realized that the fella who gave me the bike forgot to include a master link with the chain :ugg: .
Oh well, whaddya want for free?
While I was at the dealership today, I looked at their service manual for my bike. It showed the collars as you said they should go :thumb: Too bad I didn't know about the master link before now.

I fired it up, and it runs well. :) I'm getting my winter project done early this year. Maybe I'll have time for last years Winter project now :confused: .

Thanks again,

Keith

Last edited:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
There are things out there that just do not make sense.

Them split exhaust collars are right up near the top of the list.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
PK, I would just use cellophane tape to hold the split collars on to the pipe while I was bolting it up.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the XR200 we bought for my sister was missing the pieces completely, and with it being late on a saturday and prime riding weather the next day what do you do? Why...break out the thick wall steel pipe of course :)
If I only had a picture of the engineering marvel, worked great!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…