slapthemat

Jan 3, 2005
ok well i just bought a used 2003 kdx 200 and rode it mabey 4 times and noticed that the silencer was spewin oil everywhere. so i went out and bought some packin and was goin to repack the silencer. wtf, theres no was to get inside of it! so what do i do? i didnt get the owners manual and ive ordered one but i was jsut wonderin what other people do to clean the silencer.

hockeyboy

Oct 13, 2003
The stock silencer on the KDX is sealed. There is no way to repack it. It sounds like you should try and re-jet your bike properly. Go to the first 2 posts on the KDX page on this web site, it says something like "every KDX owner should read this". It will give you help with the correct jetting.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
No need to repack a stock silencer. You need to rejet your carb. The stuff that is coming out of your pipe is the result of unburnt fuel and is often called spoog. Check the JustKDX web page for the run down on jetting. You'll not only get rid of the spoog but increase fuel efficiency and gain performance.

Enjoy your new KDX,

David

Last edited:

slapthemat

Jan 3, 2005
what do i jet it to?

well hmmm i erad about all i could stand about it. what do you run? i live in alabama where its pretty warm and humid. the sludge comin out the silencer is caused by my jetting, which i just learned. so what would you subscribe as the right jettin for the bike. me and my dad have no clue about any of it and really dont want to mess anything up. thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
john_bilbrey said:
Also, run your premix (preferrably a good one) at 40:1 rather than 32:1

Bad advice there. 40:1 is a richer mixture than 32:1 (40 parts of fuel to 1 part of oil vs. only 32 parts fuel to 1 part oil). Re-read what Canadian Dave just posted, the spooge is a result of unburned FUEL, not oil.

Never try to correct improper jetting by chasing the fuel:oil ratio.

motoxdude

Jul 6, 2004
dont change your mixture. i run it 40:1 and i dont have any problems. what oil are you using? Try amsoil and mix it 40:1 instead of 100:1. Before you spend more money try riding your bike and high rpms and blow all the crap out of there. I had the same problem with mine and i just rode it hard and it all blew out. now i have no problems

slapthemat

Jan 3, 2005
what i do

thanks for all the advise. yeah we just bought it and me nor my dad have any knowlage of it so. yeah were runnin 40:1, using 100% synthetic spectro mx with 93 octane (thats the highest we can find). ill try the different plug thing and see what happens. thanks. i should probley put this in another thread but im too lazy to make a new one so ill ask here, what kinda of anitfreeze/coolant do yall use? thanks

dan1608

~SPONSOR~
Jul 31, 2003
When I first bought my 220 it ran terrible. Lots of oil at the tailpipe and lots of smoke. I followed Daves tips on jetting and it runs like a different bike. Jetting is not that hard to do. Just proceed slowly making one change at a time. I spent a good part of last summer getting my jetting correct. I would make a change then ride for awhile then make another change. Its really easy once you start. Hardly any oil out the exhaust, no fouled plugs and much better response.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
your silencer has a drain plug in it, take that out and start the bike, cover the end of the exhaust and rap the throttle a few times and blow the crap out of the silencer. You are getting all kinds of advice here but the simple fact is that you have too much fuel and it's not getting all burned up so it blows it our the exhaust. New spark plugs will not fix this even though it is easier than taking the carb off.

go to the dealer and buy a 42 pilot jet and a 155 main jet.

Take the seat off, loosten the carb boot clamps and spin the carb so the top is facing you. Unscrew the top of the carb to access the needle. Make sure the needle jet in in the middle clip position. Now spin the carb so the bottom is facing you and take off the 4 screws that hold the float bowl on. Remove both brass jets and replace them with the 42/155 you just bought. Don't over tighted them. Spin the carb back to it's original position and tighten the clamps back on it. Gently turn the air screw in all the way and back it out 1.5 turns. Put the seat back on. Start the bike up and ride it. You may have to adjust the air screw in or out a bit, it it starts hard turn it in 1/4 turn and see if that helps.

The bike should run cleaner now, oh and when you had the seat off you can take that snorkel out of the top of the air box to help get more air to it -also drilling a few holes in the top of the box to allow more air flow will also help it run better. Don't worry-it will not hurt the bike.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Again, I have to agree. The jetting portion is critical. As mentioned above, there is a ton of performance to be gained with proper jetting. The jets mentioned above are pretty close to what I'm running (42 pilot, either a 152 or 155 main) and needle in the middle (or did I drop it one?). Also, ditch the airbox lid as mentioned.

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Fred T, Thanks from many of us, I'm sure! That was the most straight forward,most directly helpfull, how-to post on jetting I have ever seen!!! Glad your still posting on the KDX site while enjoying your new KTM!! Jim G.

slapthemat

Jan 3, 2005
man

gah im an idiot. gah i bet yall are all like postin on here adn bein all like haha at me when you get done. oh well i dont care. imma go get some jets now though.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
When you have it jetted properly, the amount of spooge coming out the pipe may actually increase for a while. Don't let that freak you out. It's just that the pipe will be running at the proper, higher temperature............a good thing.

MB_Austin

Sep 20, 2004
leakin oil

I'm fighting a similar problem with my '96 KDX200, but I think its the crank seal, rather than the jets. I lose about 40cc of oil from the crankcase in about 1.5 hours of riding, and the plug is getting black bumps near the base of the top electrode that I'm told are carbon build up.

Should it be losing oil that quickly? It's definitely not dripping through any external leaks.

Do the carbon bumps on the plug sound more like burning tranny oil, or would a rich mixture do that too?

Top Bottom