exhaust pipes

MR. V

Aug 25, 2002
I have had a question for a while now regarding what I see on the big two strokes. This is simple. A stock CR500 has a pipe that is not all that much larger (expansion chamber) in appearance than a 250 pipe. The P.C. and FMF products are also pretty close to stock. Now a Ktm 550 has a much larger chamber. and the FMF unit is real fat, huge in comparison to a cr 500. This one ktm pipe is used on there 440, 500, and 550cc models. the 440 and both 500's have the same bore 89mm. both 500's have thhe same 89mm bore and 80mm stroke. The 550 has a 92.25mm bore and a 82mm stroke.
It has been said that a cr 500 may not see much performance benefit from a aftermarket pipe (which to me look slightly fatter than stock). It is my experience that the benefits of strapping on a fatty pipe to a 550 makes a huge amount of difference for the better. more power, smoother transitions. I have it on here say that also goes for the 440. Fmf makes pipes for both of these 500 machines.Same B&S. the Ktm pipes look 25% larger to me, and feel it to. Why would two identicle displacement motors need something so different. Whats the deal?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Let go of the idea that volume is directly proportional to the performance. It is a byproduct of the steepness of the cones used & to some extent the header-pipe size (which has some relation to the engine capacity).

Different design pipes will attempt to tailor the power curve for different tastes. Rest assured the std system has taken into account the average user, noise & ease of movement around the bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…