shawn10ski

Apr 6, 2006
Here's the background before my issue...
So I got my 87 KDX 200 from my dad a few months ago. I have been rebuilding and replacing things on it since I got it to get it running like new. I've gone through the carb, got a new monoshock, new sprockets and chain, fixed the seized brakes and got new rubber on the back and new bearings in the front. Now that she's running like a champ, I have a couple problems left. My big problem right now is that it looks like gas is leaking out around the exhaust pipe where it meets the motor. I noticed after my last ride that the mount that holds the pipe to the frame in the front was broken. Now the pipe can rotate side to side a little bit. Is this why it is leaking? If I get a new mount to secure the pipe, will that fix my problem? Is there a seal between the pipe and the motor?

My other problem, the clutch is slipping some. I have noticed that even when I pull in the clutch all the way, it still moves forward (weakly). AND when I am riding, there is lag when I gun the throttle before it takes off. How can I adjust the clutch to see if I need a new one? Might the adjustment on the cable near on the handlebars fix these problems or do I have to take the cover off the case for adjustment in there?

Any help/suggestions are welcome. I LOVE this bike and I want to get it in great shape!
Thanks,
Shawn

white knuckes

Jul 19, 2004
Well, first there is a gasket between the jug and the exhaust pipe. To replace all you need to do is fight those springs off; I recommend not using vice-grips for the job.

For your second problem it sounds like your cable is too tight and not spreading the plates completely. Just make sure there is some slop in your clutch lever, you should be able to put a nickel (thin side) between the lever and the perch. That is an easy way to check if your lever is too tight.

Good luck

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
If the mount is broken, then yes, that will lead to leakage.

There is a copper gasket between the end of the pipe and the cylinder, plus two o-rings around the last inch of the outside of the pipe. Check all those, plus the springs.

shawn10ski

Apr 6, 2006
Thanks guys! I think I'll order a new gasket and the o rings for the exhaust and replace them when I get the new mount put on. As for the clutch, I'll do the nickel test today when I get home. Thanks again guys.
-Shawn

Top Bottom