westred

Apr 10, 2007
Hey again guys , just doin' some research on 'go-fast' stuff trying to expand, or move a little of that "powerband hit" to the low end on this - new to me - 86 CR125R. What a blast , but it's my first 2-stroke "powerband" loaded machine so i'm looking for some suggestions.

I have heard that Boyesen makes some reeds that may do the trick - any info appreciated - their web site is quite lame. i have also been thinking about going down a tooth in the front sprocket and/or, up a few teeth in the rear sprocket. would gearing it down this way help?

I'm not trying to go faster, just get there quicker! :laugh:

any takers? thx much

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
It's not easy to move a 125's powerband around but gains can be had. To start with look at the exhaust and jetting. Check out low end pipes for that model year - Dynoport and DG. Get into the jetting - the profile of the needle can make a really noticeable difference to the power delivery. Jetting it right will give a broader spread of power, ie more pull from the mid range right the way through.. V Force reeds give a boost to low/mid. You could get the cylinder ported and the head reshaped for the right sort of boost. Eric Gorr is a great start point for advice, A flywheel weight will smooth out the hit and help prevent stalling.

westred

Apr 10, 2007
i just got a reply back from Boyesen from a mail i sent them before i found this forum . here's what they wrote:

hi , i am restoring an 1986 Honda CR125R and was interested in your reeds.
i notice a few diff kinds - i am loooknig for more low end power. do your reeds fit into stock cages?

Hello Kevin,

We offer Power Reeds, dual-stage fiberglass; PRO Series Reeds, dual-stage with fiberglass bottom & carbon fiber top; Super Stock Reeds, single stage in either carbon fiber or fiberglass.

The best reeds for low end power would be the Boyesen PRO Series Reeds. You would need part #PRO-43 and the price is $59.95 + shipping. These reeds will fit the stock reed cage on your 1986 Honda CR125.

Cheryl
Boyesen Engineering
8 Rhoades Road
Lenhartsville, PA 19534
tel # 610-756-6818 / 800-441-1177
fax # 610-756-4102

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The Boyessen 2-stage fiberglass reeds will probably give you the broadest power, and they are more reasonably priced than other models. I would be supprised if you didn't already have a set of Boyessen reeds in that bike, though.

keip82

Uhhh...
Feb 17, 2007
i had a experince doing the same thing on my cr80 did the same i had to drop it off to dealer to get it fixed but now it smokes 125's i have the cylerms manuale for the bike and still could do it there.....so if u want to do it then do it i don't care its not my bike.if you think its not fast or not enough powerband throw a hot rod crank rod in it that would do it.

Top Bottom