Expansion Chambers for KDX200 and 220

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I posted this in response to another question, but that got moved to the "parts wanted" section. I don't really care, but there was some good information in there that would be good to get in the archives here....

From me:

I just sorted all this out... it's a lot more complicated then it sounds.

First, start with the KDX-200. The bigger pipe (circumference about 13" at the widest) is the woods pipe, designed for better power at lower RPM. The narrower pipe (about 11" circumference at the widest) is the desert pipe, for more top end power.

Now, on the KDX-220, they are swapped. So the very same pipe that would have been the desert (peak power at peak RPM) pipe on the 200 is the torque pipe on the KDX-220. And you don't want to run the 200 torque pipe on the 220 at all.

All of this assumes the smaller carb and porting for the stock 220. If it was a 200 but bored and replated (or sleeved) with the bigger 200 carb, then the 200 rules apply.

Make sense?

Bottom line, for a stock 220, the only pipe you want is the smaller diameter FMF expansion chamber.

(warning, all this information is based on internet research, not fact...)

From JoBurble:

There is a number stamped on the side of the upper mounting bracket.
020056 is the desert pipe
020057 is the woods pipe

There is a 3 digit number before those numbers and then a hyphen, I don't know what those 3 digits are for, but it's the ones listed after that that you are looking for anyway.

From me:

On the 200, a woods (-057, about 14" diameter max) pipe will give better power everywhere in the power band, without much extra at peak RPM.

On the 220 (a true 220, not a 200 bored to a 225 or something), the -057 woods pipe is supposed to run pretty badly.

On the 200, the desert (-056, about 11" diameter max) pipe will give slightly better power at lower RPM's, but it is tuned to give the maximum HP at the upper end of the RPM range (which is where you get maximum HP anyway).

On the 220 (again, a true 220, not a bored 200), the -056 desert pipe (about 11" diameter) acts more like a woods pipe, and gives more power everywhere... instead of just more peak power at peak RPM's.

If you have a 200 bored to a 225... the pipes act like they are still on the 200. So a woods pipe on a bored 200 is still a wods pipe, and a desert pipe on a bored 200 is still a desert pipe. Though it probably depends on how your tuner ported everything. I had Eric Gorr do it, and he indicated that the woods pipe was a great choice for the 225 "more better everywhere" port he offers. And that the woods pipe would give even more better power everywhere.

And that seems consistent with what I have read from Jeff Fredette. It also seems consistent with my limited experience. I now have a 200 with the 225 big bore kit and an FMF woods pipe, and it pulls really nicely through the bottom end.

I restored a true 220 for a friend that has a Pro Circuit desert pipe and an original Boyesen RAD valve, and it pulls at least as hard at low RPM as my 225 with the woods pipe does. Probably harder, but I still have some break in and tuning to do on my 225, and that 220 came pretty well tuned. The 220 also has a steel sleeve and aftermarket piston in there put in by the previous owner (the stock 220 piston disintegrated on him 3 months after he bought the bike). I didn't measure it to see if it's still a 220, or if it is now something bigger.

Anyway, that's what I have been able to gather... Its better then nothing, but it's so hard to tell real performance numbers without a dyno, that it should all be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of times you do something you think made the bike faster, and all you really did is create a hole in the powerband somewhere so that when you climb out of it suddenly as rev's rise, you think you are making lots of extra power. Or you just feel like it's faster because you spent $300 and because everyone else said it would be faster when you do such and such. Or it's just a cool day or something...

(Edit... fixed brain fade)

Last edited:

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Ive got a woods on a 220 cause I ride 90% woods, it is better IMO than the rev on the bike, I have both. To say that it runs bad as stated above is flat out wrong, it runs great but has everything down low and yes power drops off at higher RPMs . If you like riding in tight woods and heavy mud, the woods is the ticket, it powers thru everything w/o over reving, it is a tractor. The sweet spot for the 220 is in the woods, deep mud and steep hills in tight terrain, its suspension limits it to those conditions but excels in them as well.

Silverfox220

Feb 21, 2015
Hey guys,

Just joined today but have been lurking for a while. Bought a 220 about a year and a half ago. Love it, has boyesen reeds, removed the snorkel and have two 1 inch square holes in the lid. Re jetted leaner and runs pretty good but want a pipe now and am leaning towards a Pc Platinum2. Did a ton of research but like the Op eluded to alot of reviews either had a RB mod or bigger carb. Anyone have any experience with this pipe on a mostly stock 220?

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
your pipe descriptions are backwards , the woods / torque pipe is smaller in diameter. The rev pipe is larger " as it takes mores revs / volume to fill the larger pipe for power band

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
the snorkel keeps muddy water from being ingested into the engine.
I made the hole bigger and then made my own snorkel.
Before I did that I had the snot scared out of me when doing a muddy motocross race and the throttle momentarily stuck open due to ingested muddy water.
wow ,,, crazy that much grit got thru the filter

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Hey guys,

Just joined today but have been lurking for a while. Bought a 220 about a year and a half ago. Love it, has boyesen reeds, removed the snorkel and have two 1 inch square holes in the lid. Re jetted leaner and runs pretty good but want a pipe now and am leaning towards a Pc Platinum2. Did a ton of research but like the Op eluded to alot of reviews either had a RB mod or bigger carb. Anyone have any experience with this pipe on a mostly stock 220?
PC platinum 2 works good on my sons bike and retains all the low end ! I have a rev pipe on my 220 and love the midrange pull , yes you loose low end but the rev pipe is so much more fun

Top Bottom