Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I was fiddling around with some ideas for shooting night scenes and tested this one idea using a poster on a wall in a dark room.

No photoshop stuff, just a bit of white balance correction for the light source and normal sharpening.

Nikon D200, 24-70 Sigma lens, F2.8, 15 second exposure.

It's a crappy picture but as a proof of concept it does what I needed. I think I might be on to something interesting here.

Attachments

• DSC_2502_drn.jpg
    DSC_2502_drn.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 154

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
ooh, I know I know...!!!!

It's gonna be way cool!!

(Safe to say under any circumstances when we are talking about the technowizard! Lol. Kind of like predicting the sun'll come up in the morning!)

But it IS gonna be way cool.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Is there going to be an after photoshop pic?

I don't know enough about Photoshop to do anything particularly interesting with it, so I pretty much have to do it in the camera or not at all. :whoa:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
Nikon D200, 24-70 Sigma lens, F2.8, 15 second exposure.

I'm sort of techno-ignorant, so if I'm mistaken, please gently say so...But if I might ask...Have you omitted one of the essential elements to the proof of concept here? :clue:
(flash/lighting?)

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I used a mini Maglite. ;)

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I believe this is called painting with light or something like that. I've seen some stuff on the web about it but have never tried it myself. Looks like it could be fun.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Squid31 said:
I believe this is called painting with light or something like that. I've seen some stuff on the web about it but have never tried it myself. Looks like it could be fun.

Indeed! Looks like the surf's up!

(ie. I need to check this one out further.)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Squid31 said:

I started digging around the other night and found the same thing Squid.

Dave Black the sports photographer has some really good info on the technique on his website. It looks like I'm on the right track. :yeehaw:

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/lightpainting-technique.htm

olderndirtmom said:

That looks way tricker than the one I was using. I'm going to have to investigate that further. :nod:

Top Bottom