Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Sounds like time for some oversize tires to lower those cruising rpms. Look in the spec book for your psd and find at what rpm peak torque occurs. Your goal is to cruise at this rpm for maximum efficiency and engine life whether this means larger tires, taller gears, or slowing down. I suspect your overreving, since my gas 350 hums along at about the same rpm.

woodsrider: don't worry about it, just curious. thanks anyway.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Woods, Have you ever seen a Napier-Deltic opposed piston diesel? One bad motor.

One bad MF to time is more like it. I've only seen pictures of the delta-design OP's. Never had the chance to see or work on one. That gear-train looks pretty complicated.

My former employer used to service, mfg. and sell aftermarket replacement components for Fairbanks-Morse (Coltec) 5-1/4 and 8-1/8 OP's. Thousands of the 8-1/8 models were used in the old diesel submarines during WWII. F-M tried to use them for locomotive use, but they were too difficult to service. Major work always required removal of the upper crankshaft. Interestingly enough the Soviets copied the design of this engine from a salvaged U.S. submarine. Only they bolted the two crankcases together and used it for back-up power in their nuclear naval vessels. The thing was terribly unreliable and was the reason many of their subs went down... which brings us to Howard Hughes' Glomar Explorer. That baby's got some horsepower. ;)

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The Sulzer design is very similar to the 2-cycle Nordberg's I'm familiar with. In fact, that design has been used for a lot of different 2-cycle slow-speed engines.

Went aboard the Glomar Explorer about 5 years ago when it was still "mothballed" out in CA. I've read several of the engine build sheets from back when the vessel was under construction. Even though it was supposed to be "drill ship" for Hughes Oil, all the documents say "spy ship" on them. Guess nobody could keep secrets back then either. :eek:

Feb 25, 2001
my truck is the 2001 PSD and it has a redline of 4,000 RPM and at 75 it turns around 2,300 RPM's I was just wondering if that was hurting the motor. Would putting bigger tires under this thing . I want to put a leveling kit on my truck to raise the front end up to match the height of the rear end. So far nobody around here or on the net that i can find has the kit for the 4X2 that I have. How big of tires can I fit under my truck ? 33' s ? I was told by the guy at a local shop that there is a chip i can put in my computer on the truck that would give me over 50+ hp and over 100 more pds. of tq. so I might go for that...its a little bit over $500 installed. But he says it give the truck so much power that you can sit there and spin the tires on the pavment just like a hotrod. (not that I need to)

Kizmen

Aug 9, 2001
CHIP

Honda Pilot
I have a chip, and I wouldn't drive my truck without it. It woke my truck up!
Superchips make a chip that will give you 60hp/115 ftlbs, with no towing restrictions. Any more gains than that (like 80/130) and you have to watch exhaust temps. Chips for trucks like ours are easy to install, you don't really need to pay a guy to do it, unless of course you just don't want to. Mine took all of 20 minutes.

2300 at that speed is not out of line, PSD are designed to do that. You could run it at that all day long, you wont hurt it.

hp500efi

Aug 12, 2000
I ride with a few friends that have 99 or newer Powerstrokes who are first time Diesel owners. They both have wifes that use the truck as much as them and the two biggest complaints I hear are.

Very noisy when pulling into banks and fast food places that have the intercom ordering system. Most end up turning off the motor to communicate with the teller then starting back up to move forward.

Wifes/Gf's are very fussy and sending them off to the filling station for a fuel fill up is very unpleasant. Diesel fuel is very smelly, big rig drivers and dump truck drivers think nothing about spilling alittle fuel on the ground which makes Women very unhappy when they have to step in it to fuel up. Although I have not heard of this yet but it is a matter of time until someone accidently fills up the diesel with premium :(

The new Chevy big blocks 6.0 and 8.1 V8 motors are very strong and in fact are as good if not better than the V10's on the market. :)

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
hp500efi

You would be suprised at how many diesels I've see with gas in them.

A safe guess would be, 2 a month!

People have to remember that these are commercial vehicles.Now people are buying them for personal use and can't handle the idiosyncrasies of a diesel truck.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
G-man - Back in '85 when the first 6.9L diesels first came out I worked in the service dept. at a Ford dealer. At one point we had one diesel coming in every other day with gasoline in the tank. What's worse was the service writers. A customer would bring in their diesel for rough running and they'd write down "scope and advise" on the work order. :confused:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
For you Diesel nuts....

Here is an engine we developed for R & D:

It is a test engine that allows engineers to 'see' the combustion chamber and flame travel

To see inside the combustion chamber (where the action is),we use an “optical
engine,” a single-cylinder diesel engine he and others designed and built. It
has a see-through cylinder head, a transparent piston with a sapphire
crown and a sapphire cylinder liner. The piston has a slot in its side to avoid
a small stationary mirror mounted on the cylinder wall. As a laser beam
shines through the transparent cylinder liner and into the combustion chamber, a high-speed digital camera points at the mirror which is angled to reflect light coming through the piston from the combustion chamber.

We’re trying to create a homogeneous mixture
so everything will burn evenly rather than the fuel burning too richly in one area.

It is “loosely” based on a 3126 diesel, but since it has only one cylinder it’s affectionately called a 3121

One of the big factors in combustion and the resulting emissions — is the
spray pattern produced by the fuel injection nozzle. The combustion
can be seen in the cutout in the horizontal tube.
“That’s what the blue glow is in a flame. In diesel
engines there are about four different wavelengths
of visible light along with the ultraviolet ones. We’re
simply trying to enhance some of that, but the chemical
species we’re most interested in are in the ultraviolet range.”

The photography of the ignition is really interesting.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
<----- is foaming at the mouth!

Kizmen

Aug 9, 2001
hp500efi

Hey, watch the fussy women comments. I happen to really like the sound of my diesel. I also don't in the least mind filling my truck up. There are us women that actually change our own oil and enjoy it.

I have known a guy that got a brand new truck, 500 miles on it, and his wife put gas in it. It does happen. Consequently, I don't let my fussy boyfriend fill my truck up!!

hp500efi

Aug 12, 2000
Kizmen,

My hats off to you because you are one of the few that enjoy them and don't mind the downsides of the diesel.

Keep the boyfriend away from YOUR truck .

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by bwalker
I work for a tier 1&2 supplier to Gm so I have heard a bit a scuttlebutt regarding this drivetrain combo. I WOULD not touch a Duramax or the Allsion for a while.

Jumping in here very late but...

...is the scuttlebutt you heard a problem with the oil cooler lines to the new tranny?

Because that is the scuttlebutt that I heard.

Top Bottom