Feb 25, 2001
Ok i have narrowed it down to these two or so models and I have less than a week to choose. I am pulling anywhere from 4,000-6,500 pounds 5 days a week..unless you count racing then its 6 days a week. So my little f-150 does not like pulling this weight seing that it has allready thrashed a trans and its a 2000 model f-150. anywho my choices are the v-10 or the v-8 turbo diesel ? I will be pulling my loads from 9-5 and after 5 in the afternoon I do alot of stop and go driving. Like my g/f likes to take my truck currently to the mall and stuff so I will need this truck to be able to do some top and go traffic I have had several guys tell me that the turbo diesel engine makes the truck sluggish and it dosent want to pick up speed like a small v-6 that I allready have . Is that true ? and which out of these two vehicles will get the better gas mileage the v-10 gas or the v-8 diesel ? my 2000 f-150 with the small 4.2 ltr v-6 is getting around 4-8 mpg when pulling and 10-14 mpg on the road when not pulling . And does anyone know the pulling specs on the v-10 and diesel v-8? for any of you truck guys any info would be great

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
hmm.....

Well...Triton™ engines deliver outstanding horsepower and torque and can stand up to the demands of everyday life(deisel).I couldn't find any information about the v-10 you're talking about, I didn't even know ford made a v-10. You can try their website at www.ford.com Well sorry I can't help, but I tried. Later.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I have a 2000 F250 Crewcab 4x4 with the diesel and love it. I get anywhere from 12 - 14 miles a gallon pulling my 14' enclosed trailer and empty somewhere around 15 - 17. Don't expect that kind of gas mileage from the gas hog V10, you would be lucky to get 10 - 12 miles a gallon pulling empty.

Yes, the diesel is no race car, but expect engine life to be anywhere from 180 -250,000 miles if you take care of it. You do need to wait for it to warm up and then let it cool down 5 minutes before killing the engine to let the turbo cool down. Engine oil capacity is 15 quarts. I use Shell Rotela T 15w-40 and change every 5,000 miles.

Order the truck fully loaded and get the trailer tow package with the hitch. Its a well designed hitch and most of it is hidden. You can email me if you want any more info at RICKM7331@aol.com

Good luck

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Trailer Life magazine did a comparision between the Ford v10 and the powerstroke last year. I'll sum it up for you: V10 pluses, cost less to buy and maintain, minuses : less fuel milage and pulling power ie: torque. Powerstroke pluses: more torque and better fuel milage. Minuses: cost more to buy and maintain. The crossover point is at 100,000 miles. Above this the powerstroke becomes cheaper to own, below this the V10 is cheaper to own.
Basically it becomes how long you keep a vehicle determines which is the least expensive to own and operate.

Hope this helps

Howard

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
I had an F-150 supercab with a 5.4L V8 and just made the decision you have before you....

I went diesel. Gas in California is .20 gal more than diesel most of the time, I'm getting 17 mph doing 75 down the hwy with a F-350 Powerstoke CrewCab 4X4 long bed full of people and bikes. The diesels have come a long ways...they aren't going to win any stoplight drags but they get down the road great!;)

Check out www.ford-diesel.com for everything you could ever want to know about the ford diesel trucks. Also checkout www.eaa.com and check on the "Ford" link and read about the Ford partners program....if you like saving money! ;)

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I have a dodge with a v-10. The reason I choose the v-10 over the diesel was I listen to a diesel 9 to 10 hrs a day and I've learned to hate them. When I step on the gas I want to go somewhere not chugalog along in a big cloud of smoke. I don't drive my truck a lot so the gas is no big deal to me. Last I checked was a year ago on vacation I got 13 mpg loaded with camping gear and driving 70-75 mph. If I was driving the truck everyday a bunch of miles or going to keep it for more than 5 years I'd get the diesel.

Feb 25, 2001
Yeah I put on anywhere from 30,000-45,000 miles a year on my truck. What kind of extra maintnence does the Diesel have ? and why after 100,000 does the Diesel become cheaper to own. ? I know nothing about hp to tq ratios but here is the difference in the two can anyone translate ?
01 powerstroke diesel 250 hp 505 ft pds tq.
01 triton v-10 gas 310 hp 425 ft. pds tq.
I plan on keeping the vehicle for somewere around the 3-4 year mark and by then I should have around 120,000 miles on it. If the v-10 would pull my 5,000 pound trailer and get me respectable gas milage (better than now) and not break down like a typical gas truck. Then I would go with it but from what i heard it dosent pull heavy loads with the ease that the Diesel does and it will crap out on me before the 100,000 mile mark.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We went Powerstroke shopping last year - and got a '00 F-250 Powerstroke Lariat 4x4 Extended Cab Long Bed. I wold DEFINATELY recommend spending the extra $4k for the Powerstroke!!

Ours gets 10-14 mpg pulling a pretty heavy 24 foot enclosed trailer and it gets 16-20 mpg empty. From what I hear - a V10 gets 4-6 pulling and 8-12 empty. And around here - diesel is cheaper than gas at most places, too. It was funny - when truck shopping, we ran across quite a few used '99 and '00 V10's and NO used Powerstrokes.

The Powerstroke will become cheaper to own after 100k miles because you will save a LOT of money in gas (at $1.50 a gallon and a 8 mpg average - 100k miles will cost $18,750; at $1.50 a gallon and a 14 mpg average - 100k miles will cost $10,715 = $8,035 savings), but spend more for oil changes for the diesel, but - most importantly (to me) - you will get more miles out of a diesel after 100k and a much higher re-sale value if you sell the two at any time - especially at or above 100k miles.

Here is my Goods and Bads of the two:

Powerstroke:

Good - mpg, torque, 100k mile warranty, should last a good 150k-300k miles, MUCH better re-sale value!!

Bad - costs $4k more, expensive oil changes, need to plug in overnight during the winter, sometimes hard to find diesel late at night on the way to a track :confused:

V10:

Good - $4k less, cheaper oil changes, more HP, more get up and go

Bad - GAS HOG, harder to re-sell, miles hurt more than miles on diesel, may not last as long as diesel

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
kinda long

My first question for Hgilliam about the 100,000 mile break even point would be does it account for the increased trade in value of the truck? This can be more than 2000 bucks.

The diesel's extra maintenance is not extreme. The powerstroke requires 3 times as much of a somewhat special oil, but you really just need to be religious about the maintenance schedule. If you buy it new, a service contract can be bought where every service item is taken care of and the dealer will sign off on every maintenance interval. This "book" of proven maintenance will help with resale value and any warranty claims and simplify your end of maintenance. I would recommend it.

The 100,000 mile point should be where the extra cost for the diesel engine, about 4500$, is refunded to the owner by the lesser operating costs, it's cheaper to run because of mpg. I think resale value should also be taken into account.

The way I would explain torque vs. horsepower is that horsepower is what gets you from 0 to 60 quickly, torque is what maintains 60 while heading up a steep hill. The diesel's power (torque and hp) can be increased by using aftermarket mods. But be careful, you may get addicted to increasing power.

If you really do tow as much as you say and you plan on going 120,000 miles in 4 years I would say it's a no-brainer, go with the diesel. Expect 18-21 mpg with the new diesel and an automatic with four wheel drive towing or not. 12-8 with the v10, I understand these thing are real hogs.

Now here's the problem, the diesel is noisy and has a stink to the exhaust. If more than just a haze of smoke is visible under substantial acceleration than something is broken and the dealer will fix it. These new diesels don't smoke like the old ones. The rattle is great for some guys but too loud for me, really you can't order food at the drive through with it running. The smell is not different from any other diesel, but it's different enough from gas exhaust to make you a bit nauseous. You should get used to and even learn to appreciate these "problems" when you feel the power and see the mpg numbers.

You may not be interested, but I would consider the duramax/allison combination sold by Chevrolet. This engine makes more than 300 horsepower and is oh so quiet. I would also recommend test driving all three. This is not a cheap truck, you should be able to know what you're getting.

Good luck. Did I say GET THE DIESEL yet? I guess that's the bottom line.:D

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
In extreme winter weather, I usually plug in my Powerstroke diesel block heater and have the timer kick on about 3 - 4 hours before I start it and then it only takes about 5 - 10 minutes before its at normal operating temperature, so I never leave mine plugged in all night. We have 5 diesel farm tractors and I do the same thing with them. One time I did forget to plug it in and even at 15 degrees below zero, the glow plugs did an excellant job and fired the truck right out. It took about 15 - 20 minutes before it finally warmed up.

Mine is very quiet at highway speed. Yes its alittle more noisier at lower speeds.

Diesel fuel around the KCMO area is about 15 - 20 cents cheaper than gas and you do have to look alittle harder for diesel, but on a 800 mile trip, I found diesel at 1/2 the gas stations and you can always find a truck stop on any interstate. You might have to pay a little more for diesel at a regular gas station over a truck stop.

I have almost 36,000 on my 2000 F250 and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I would also be very careful about the new Chevy diesel. I would never buy anything that was just developed as they always have defects and manufacture corrections during their first two years of production.

alstroker

Jul 16, 2000
v-10

I have a 99 model F-250 V-10 extended cab, short bed. I currently have 50,000miles on my truck and have been quite pleased with it. There are two reasons I didn't buy a Powerstroke. First, they were expensive and second I wanted quicker off the line performance. My truck gets about 14-15mpg. This is the same mileage my dad gets in his F-250 with the 5.4L V-8. I don't know what my truck mileage is pulling a load as I have never checked. If you want to know just how long my truck will last, check back with me in a couple of years, as I plan on keeping it till it is about dead. I don't pull trailers every day. If you do, the powerstroke might be better for you. I knew that I would be pulling loads some and I wanted a truck that would do it but at the same time be a pleasure to drive when I wasn't. I like the V-10 a lot. It is the smoothest engine I have ever had. No vibration from it what so ever. There is a lot of performance potential there too. I installed a K&N filter on mine and that made a noticeble difference. I can only imagine what exhaust mods and the like would do.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I beg to differ regarding diesels requiring a somewhat 'special' (read more expensive) oil. I drive a Dodge Cummins - 11qt oil changes. I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 oil - ~$6.00/gallon (yes, gallon). So I'm paying $1.50/qt - sounds about like 'standard' gas engine oil to me. Oh yeah - I buy it at Kragen's (Checkers/Schuck's in other parts of the country I think).

About the only 'additional' maintenance required on my diesel is changing the fuel filter every 15k miles. Big deal - takes ~10 minutes.

Over ~30k miles I'm seeing a combined city/hwy 15.8 MPG - lots of stop & go with a 6spd stick and quite a bit of +75mph/400 mile road trips.

Brian

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Re: v-10

Originally posted by alstroker
My truck gets about 14-15mpg. This is the same mileage my dad gets in his F-250 with the 5.4L V-8. .
That's pretty good mileage! What's the power feel like compared to your v-10? I've got 2 trucks with the 5.4 and they're great , if I ever get around to buying a new truck it will be another 5.4, I occasionally pull about 3-4000 lbs and loads of 1-2000 and they handle it no problem. I can't stand them stinky loud a@* diesels
:confused:
Although I'm hoping to get an Isuzu or Mitshi diesel dump soon for work, I usually won't be driving this one though:D

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
A Ford or Dodge diesel with a few simple mods(chips)will leave a triton v-10 in the dust. The v-10 is somewhat of a dog stock and due to its smaller cylinder size doesnt have the torque of a v-8. Even stock a powerstroke is no slouch and will get way better MPG than a v-10.

alstroker

Jul 16, 2000
If the V-10 is a dog stock, then why would your diesels need a chip and other upgrades to blow the V-10 away? My V-10 produces 410 ft-lbs of torque. The 5.4L V-8 is not even close. The diesels do produce more torque stock; That is expected. There is no way that a (stock) diesel is going to out drag a (stock) V-10 gas engine in a straight line. Diesels don't build rpm quickly enough and they redline much earlier than gas engines. Enough said. Both engines are good. You have to determine what is more important to you: More pulling power or better acceleration. Opinions may also vary with a particular vehicle. My dads Ford V-8 doesn't run nearly as well as some others I know with the same engine. Probably because of some variations in manufacturing.

kawiman

Jan 25, 2001
In my opinion, the 7.3 powerstroke and the 5.9 cummins are the best engines on the market. Heard bad things about the new chevy diesel. Heard that the aluminium heads are leaking water.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
If the V-10 is a dog stock,
A chevy 6100 v-8 produces more power and a Cummins 5.9 ho is within 30 hp and has way more torque.

then why would your diesels need a chip and other upgrades to blow the V-10
Because it is severly detuned from the factory. Cummins produces the same engine for other apps with 300 hp and loads of torque.You will see within the next year or so Ford and Dodge will have 300 hp diesels.

There is no way that a (stock) diesel is going to out drag a (stock) V-10 gas engine in a straight line.
From a dead stop you are correct. Roll on from 60mph would be a different story. Add a trailer and some hills or high elevation and the v-10 begins to weez.

In my opinion, the 7.3 powerstroke and the 5.9 cummins are the best engines on the market. Heard bad things about the new chevy diesel. Heard that the aluminium heads are leaking water.
I work for a tier 1&2 supplier to Gm so I have heard a bit a scuttlebutt regarding this drivetrain combo. I WOULD not touch a Duramax or the Allsion for a while.

Last edited:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
more feedback, please

Lemme jump into this by adding my new dilemma- I may be starting a new business (99% sure), where I'll be towing 2-7000lb loads around town, possibly several in one day. No freeway driving, no long distance towing.

Problem: this will also be my daily driver. My brother-in-law has a '93 F250 4x4 Supercab, with the 7.3 diesel. I've been borrowing it for the last few days to get an idea of what it'd be like owning one. Not too thrilled so far. Stiff suspension. And the way the gas pedal is so hard to push down- couple that with the slow accelleration and the psychological effect is that it feels like you yourself are trying to push the behemoth down the street. Doing that day-in, day-out might get really old, really fast. I can tune out the noise, and even get used to the smell, maybe. The vibration is becoming another nuisance, too. But I'm sure you get used to that, right?

I know about the better mileage, and more longevity of the motor, but anyone out there feel I can get away with a 1/2 ton, or at least a smaller gas V8 in a Ford or Dodge or Chevy? I can't afford much more than $11,000, which is about the going rate for these older diesels. $11,000 can get me a newer, nicer half ton. And still leave money in my budget for not quite as good of mileage. ALSO- regular unleaded is going for $1.39 here, while diesel is hovering around $1.50.

kawiman

Jan 25, 2001
Zio, in '93 the 7.3 diesel was not the powerstroke. It came out in '94. Also before the '94 , some of them did not have turbo's. Go test drive a new powerstroke and you will tell a big difference.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
A 1/2 ton is to small. If your pulling a trailer a lot and high mi a diesel is the way to go.I like my dodge V-10(will pass anything but a gas station) but I don't drive it everyday, 12 mi in the last 2weeks We're going on vacation the 19th of Aug and I'll be curious to what the milage will be pulling a 24ft T/T thru Pa and Va mtns.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks... diesel it is. Looking at a '96 F250 4x4 Crew Cab, Short bed, pneumatic suspension, Ramsey 12k lb winch, Outback bumpers, matching shell, for $13,500. According to Kelly Blue, it should be around $18k.

Feb 25, 2001
So that means if I get a diesel motor like the turbo diesel in the F-350 and I take a quick drive to the mall I have to sit in the parking lot for 5 min in the parking space and let the turbo cool down ? or is this only after you pull some weight ? And when I come home at midnight I have to sit next to my neighbors house (where i park) with the diesel running for like 5 minutes will the turbo cools ? is so that sux but if its only the case when your pulling weight?

SLEEZ

Nov 14, 2000
My buddy had a stock SD F250 4x4 w/extended cab and long bed. His truck would get stuck going through sand that lighter trucks would just cruise through. Anyone with a lifted SD and 35" tires or larger, tell me how they do in sand or other situations.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by The Honda Pilot
So that means if <snip>

HP,
I think it applies only after a hard pull. Just grocery getting, it is overkill imo.

Any deceleration at all tends to cool the turbo on a diesel, exhaust temps drop to 250 degrees F quickly, unlike a gas turbo where exhaust gas is always 1000-1300 degrees, even at idle, so components don't cool down fast making cool-down duration more critical.

After watching the pyrometyer on my GM, it was apparent when cool down was needed, and it very rare circumstances the turbo didn't have at least a few minutes drivng at low exhaust temps before shutdown.

Yes, the powerstroke is no dog, at least with the 6-speed. You don't need to use all those gears everyday driving. My friend's F250 sets us back into the seat foam quite nicely.

Kevin31

Aug 4, 2001
Diesel vs/ Gas

Honda Pilot, I tow 10,000 pounds (Small John Deer tractor w/ back-hoe) four days a week, along with other lighter chores through-out the week. I own a 96 Dodge 2500 and a 01 Ford 450 both with Diesels. Towing my toys with these vehicles is very satisfying. Both of these vehicles are bone stock. When towing these trucks are floored 90% of the time, I never feel sorry for these motors cuz they just seem to be chuggin along. If I would drive the same way with a gas motored truck I'd feel very guilty for the sustained high RPMs. Bottom line, If you want drag-race, buy a Corvette. If you want to tow, buy a diesel. Good luck.

Top Bottom