Factual info about amateur MX nationals ...

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
I'm getting ready for next month's NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, an annual challenge to write a fifty thousand word novel during the month of November) and my main characters are three teenage motocross riders (two 16-year-old guys and the 13-year-old little sister of one of them) from Colorado with aspirations of making it to the pro ranks someday.

What would a typical season for an amateur A-class rider be like? What are the major races aside from Loretta's and Ponca City? (I've heard all about those two from my friends who race and I'm pretty sure I understand the qualifying procedures.) Also, my two central characters are siblings with parents who staunchly refuse the idea of homeschooling; how would competing while attending public school affect someone's life?

I've Googled the living hell out of this stuff and can't find any info I don't already know, so I figure I might have better luck with asking people. :bang:

(Sorry if this is too off-topic, but I was reading J-man's story and the idea to ask this here popped up...)

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Being from Canada I don't have a ton of info on the larger Am events but I know Lake Whitney is always one that seems to get plenty of coverage as well as the Mini O's. As far as the home schooling there are several schools I know of that have programs designed for National Caliber athlete's that allow them more time away from school with correspondence support etc.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…