rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
I was riding one day and my clutch just went out. Just like that. I wasn't particularly hard on it and I had raced a tight hare scrambles a few weeks before, which required a lot of clutch abuse. And it worked fine for the race. I bled the clutch (its a Magura hydraulic) and a little bit of fluid came out but when I pulled the lever it felt like there was nothing in the resevoir. Then after a few more pulls it felt the same before I bled it. Should I try refilling the resevoir and do I absolutely need Mineral oil like what comes in it or can I use regular brake fluid; at least for a little while. Or is my problem worse and I need to replace the clutch components.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You might need to rebuilt the master cylinder. My son had a fall once, and damaged something in a brake MC, and it felt just like you are describing (like it needed to be bled), but bleeding it didn't help. I bought a rebuild kit, put the bike on it's side (so I wouldn't have to drain the fluid), and had it repaired in about a half hour (no instructions involved). I know that you are talking about a clutch, but the two operate in essentially the same manner.

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
Is the master cylinder on the perch. Also could this MC leak and leave residue on the lever (if it is on the perch?)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yes, it is next to the grip, and I suppose that it could leak if the seals are damaged. That could result is fliud reaching the lever.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You can probably get a rebuild kit at your nearest KTM dealership. I am pretty sure they use Magura on their stock machines. It shouldn't be too expensive, since there aren't many parts involved, probably less than $40.

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
Okay I totally worked on the hydralic part of the clutch and its fine. Its the shaft that goes through the motor that activates the clutch itself that is faulty. It wont move the way its supposed to i think anyway. Any comments there?

Top Bottom