Jan 31, 2005
Got a story to tell. I was coming out of a corner in third and shifted to fourth pinned. Oops it slips into a false neutral. Before I could back off the throttle if slips/shifts back into third or up to fourth not sure. But at that point I could hear lots of metal shifting, breaking, grinding, rattling around, under, in between you name it and that's was it sounded like. All I could hear was money symbols. So I roll to a stop with the clutch pulled in and the bike stalls. First thing I do is put it into neutral then I pushed down on kick starter with my hand. No compression pushed down once again no go it will no move. So please share your comments, experiences, or point me into the right direction for parts via the net. Local bike shop isn't my cup of tea.

P.S. My theory is some gears got broke and possibly sent parts to piston and blew the top end. Is that possible. Sounds to me I did every worse thing possible to my 2004 RM 250. :(

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Only one way to know for sure.

Take it apart and look.

Pretty much anything anyone can tell you on here going to be a guess.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I doubt that pieces from the transmission would have made it into the crankcase.

From your description I assume you were power shifting: holding the throttle wide open, shifting up wihtout using the clutch.

Engine was already turning maximum RPM and when it failed to go into 4th gear the RPMs went way over the red line and the engine self destructed.

Like Indy said, it is just a guess. Pull the cylinder and take a look. You might get away with a top end rebuild but it sounds like you have have had enough damage that the case needs to to be split.

Rod

Jan 31, 2005
My piston looks like it exploded. The cylinder has a gauge taken out of it. I've got to split the case to get the other bits of metal out and check gears and all the other moving parts. Shifter forks? Is it possible for those to get damaged when it slipped out of neutral into third or fourth?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Better watch picking on Indy! You may be glad to know that you are the first person I have heard that dropped the engine and trans at the same time! Outstanding! I hope you can post some pics, and have a manual, good luck!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2strokerfun said:
Indy: what's up with the Boston Brigade avatar?? I wouldn't go into a sports bar up there if I was you......

If you don't already know, don't ask! Besides, I don't do bars..

tmotox100

Nov 7, 2007
case splitting

i have a 2003 suzuki rm 100 and i need to take the crank bearings out and in order to do that i have to split the tranny case. what is the best way to do that without any special tools. THANKS

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
tmotox100 said:
i have a 2003 suzuki rm 100 and i need to take the crank bearings out and in order to do that i have to split the tranny case. what is the best way to do that without any special tools. THANKS

Get a manual and get the proper tools.

And don't hijack other peoples threads.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
tmotox100 said:
i dont have the manual i can probly get one but what tools should i use and how should i use them to split the case?

I'm sure that if you were to start your own thread, there would be many people who would be able to tell you exactly what you want to know.

Jan 31, 2005
Good morning gang. I've got a picture of my piston and cylinder but not sure how to post it. On the other hand I do have a question for you guys. In my situation when the piston 'exploded' does that usually damage the crank and bearings? If they are ok should I replace the bearings any way while I'm in there cleaning the fragments? I'm planning on replacing the shifter forks hoping that will fix it from finding netrual between third and fourth. Because I don't want that to happen again. Keep in mind that was not the first time I've found netrual between third and fourth. Opions are welcome and I realize when I go into the case I will learn more.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd say that if you have the cash to spend, go ahead and do a complete bottom end too.

Crank, Bearings & Rod. Plus new seals... Along with the top end, and new gaskets, you'll basically have a new engine.

If the forks are bent, replace them..

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
When the piston came apart there is a very high probability that a piece was caught between the piston and either the head on the top or the crank at the bottom. This impact could easily have damaged other things.

The cylinder head is an obvious damage spot. Make sure it hasn't been cracked or otherwise damaged.

The connecting rod could easily have been bent. Sometimes they end up looking like a pretzel and it is easy to see that they are bent, but othertimes the bend is so slight that it is hard to tell.

The crank is a lot harder to damage, so other than a visual inspection I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you are splitting the case, change the bearings. Don't take any chances.

Rod

Jan 31, 2005
hey hey hope all is well. Got some help splitting my case last night. What a pleasure it was having someone walk me through my engine. All looked really good. So I'm looking at replacing my cylinder and of course my piston. Rebuild my cylinder or buy? Any suggestions on where to buy from. I found one for $366.95 at midwestactioncycle.com let me know what you think. Thanks

Top Bottom