fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I had a conversation with the Muddobbers Club from Upland last week. They are planning to have a Family Enduro next year.
The original schedule had a Family Enduro on the Saturday in Roselawn before the Sunday event in Upland. So I had to call GKTR and they are planning to move their family event to the next weekend.
So we will finish the season with two events in Indiana. If we are successful in having a Family event in Harrison, we will have eight events this year.
When the schedule included seven events the plan was to count the best seven races. Believe me, I understand the cost to travel to the events. With eight events should we continue to count the best five rides or increase it to six?

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
fatherandson said:
When the schedule included seven events the plan was to count the best seven races. Believe me, I understand the cost to travel to the events. With eight events should we continue to count the best five rides or increase it to six?
Huh?
If it was seven events you were going to count seven, but now that its eight events you only want to count five??
IMO, if it's eight events, you should count the best six (allow two drops).

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
a lower number of counted events may encourage more folks into considering running the series. just speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'd suggest that we follow the regular D-14 series.... 8 events, drop 2. May also encourage some to stick around and ride Sunday.... In most cases, that'll be 2 events for the cost of a single trip.

Last edited:

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
I think Salgeek is on to something.

If you get too many events without enough drops people say
screw it and only do the ones close to home. Most families have limited time and free weekends. Some might see 5 events as doable and more events cost and time prohibitive. More events mean more options and gives the hardcore people more chances to race and better earlier scores. There is time to burn out the kids and dads wallet later on.

Whatever happens i hope these events continue.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
I'd suggest that we follow the regular D-14 series.... 8 events, drop 6. ....QUOTE]

Uh...isnt that a bit extreme Bill? :nener: ( I know, you meant drop 2)

I agree with Salgeek and Wyatt though - if it is an 8 event series, make sure there are enough drops to not scare riders away from even bothering to view it as a series.

My suggestion would be 8 events drop 3. Keep in mind, for us northerners - it is a loooooong way to Indiana. (I know, we are in the minority oh well). Think of it this way - what if 3 or 4 of the D-14 events were in Marquette, you live SE lower Mich., and not many drops for the series?

YAMAHUNT

Jul 6, 2006
I think that for 8 events drop 2. If there are 3 drops then that means for the most part anyone from northern Michigan won't make any of the trips to Indiana, and that will defeat the purpose of expanding the series to even include them, and the same for anyone riding from Indiana, with three drops that means that they may not attend any of the northern Michigan and the UP events....including Sundays. this may help with the rider #s for Sundays.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
YAMAHUNT said:
I think that for 8 events drop 2. If there are 3 drops then that means for the most part anyone from northern Michigan won't make any of the trips to Indiana, and that will defeat the purpose of expanding the series to even include them, and the same for anyone riding from Indiana, with three drops that means that they may not attend any of the northern Michigan and the UP events....including Sundays. this may help with the rider #s for Sundays.
:cool:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
April 21, 2007 Grand Kankakee Trail Riders Spring Enduro Roselawn, IN
April 29, 2007 Lansing Motorcycle Club Spring Pine Cone Kalkaska, MI Tree planting on 30th
June 10, 2007 Sandstormers M/C Mini Moose Marquette, MI might be on Sunday View View
July 14, 2007 Lansing Motorcycle Club Pine Cone Moorestown, MI View View
August 4, 2007 Buzzards MC Mini Mosquito Harrison, MI National Enduro on Sunday View View
September 8, 2007 Stump Jumpers MC Family Enduro Wolverine, MI View View
October 13, 2007 Hill and Gully Enduro Team Family Enduro Roselawn

IS AUG 11th an FES event?

I'm counting 3 Indiana events and 5 MI events. Indiana would have to come to Mi 3 times to get 6 rides and Mi riders would have to go to Indiana once to get 6 rides.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Muddobbers decided to put on an event in Upland on 10/13. GKTR decided to move their second event to 10/20 - same weekend as a D15/17 event in Illinois.
August 11th is a district event for Hill and Gulley...two day event for D15/17.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Does this look right?

2007_Enduro_Events.jpg

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Looks good to me. I think the date of the Tree Topper is solid, but the location is a TBD.
The FES does have a couple of back to back events. I would prefer to avoid these situations in the future and I am leaning towards an extra "throw away" to keep the "fun factor" in the series.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
fatherandson said:
Looks good to me. I think the date of the Tree Topper is solid, but the location is a TBD.
Just got the d14 paper and it says Moorstown on pg8. What happened to Kalkaska and the event trail they had last year?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
bbarel said:
Just got the d14 paper and it says Moorstown on pg8. What happened to Kalkaska and the event trail they had last year?

They just use that because thats the LMC headquarters not race location.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
bbarel said:
Many of the miles used last year at Kalkaska were in areas that the DNR had contracted to be lumbered and the trees may not be there this year.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Here is another update on the Family Enduro Series. We will be using the attached flyer to advertise at the bike shops, magazines and I am taking a supply to the District 15 banquet this weekend. I am working with the CCC to advertise in their magazine and I hope it brings more trail riders to these events. We are also working with Cycle USA to advertise in their multi-district magazine.
Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Mike

P.S. Oops...the file is too large....checking with Smitdog to see if he can help reduce it and still be legible.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The trip to Indiana provided an opportunity to find a new riding partner with connections. We may see a new banquet award in November and a new member of the Trailfest group. More details will follow as they become available.

Z-8

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 25, 2005
Does anyone know which if any of this years events will be using the reset format (e.i. no time keeping)?

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I, for one, am AGAINST the restart format for any of the Family Enduro Events.

- Primary reason is safety of the participants. We have enough issues with the wide range of ages and skill levels during these events, putting them in an event that requires them to go faster will only encourage out-of-control riding.

- This format will actually discourage the riders we are trying to attract! Restart events are designed to take points from the fastest riders; the sections will need to be more difficult and the less skilled and younger riders will be discouraged by either the difficulty or by how poorly they complete a section.

- Timekeeping skills/knowledge will surely disappear. There's enough controversy about the "new" format, let's at least try to keep the knowledge base about timkeeping alive so that riders will continue understand both formats. Riders will then be able participate in both formats, well into the future.

- FES events are supposed to be FUN! And, originally, for our club at least, a way for kids and newbies to learn about enduros and timekeeping. An all out speed event on single track is not fun for a father (or mother) and their young children -- a trail ride, with a comfortable and moderate pace, with an opportunity to learn something new, is fun for everyone.

Flame away if you want, but I think it's the wrong format for FES.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
I'm in agreement with Magoo!
The events need to continue the traditional format.
Also this makes it a time keeping event and not a race, in the eyes of "the powers that be" this i9s a major distinction.

Top Bottom