fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Thanks to everyone who filled out a survey form either at the Mini Moose or the Pine Cone. We had over 220 surveys that were completed. Here is an overview of the results:

Only 43% of the participants are already AMA members

Of those who are not AMA member, only 39% would be interested in a one day membership at a discounted fee.

57% are interested in a Youth Enduro Championship and are willing to travel 250 to 500 miles for an event. One family was willing to drive 1,000 miles.

Very interesting results on the question about timekeeping versus the restart format. I checked the math twice.....it was 111 votes in favor of the restart format and 111 votes against it. I think Harrison had a successful event using the restart format, but I will strongly encourage the clubs to use the timekeeping format.

Again, thanks for taking the time to complete the survey. A BIG THANK YOU to Smitdog for setting up the survey/registration form to gather this information.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Personally I couldn't see the value of paying $10 for a 1-day AMA membership when you can get a whole year for $39. This may be a good option, however, for those families who only participate in 3 or less FES events per year.

Also, I think when a family with multiple kids is hit up at registration for an event fee and a membership fee, it quickly gets expensive. It's less of a mental "hit" if you can get membership fees out of the way early in the year (say dead of winter when everyone is itching to ride!).

The AMA has an Associate Membership (for a spouse / child of AMA member) for only $15 per year, but that membership type does not including participation in racing events. I'd support and encourage a change to the AMA Associate Membership that would allow racing. I would think that this may be slightly more than $15, but maybe half of the $39 full membership. Not sure of all the benefits / value of incorporating AMA membership into the FES would bring to the series, but I imagine that insurance is a big one. I thought I heard that for most FES events insurance was being handled through Magoo's agency, and the cost was quite a bit less when compared to using AMA-provided coverage. I know that the GKTR is currently looking at insurance options for their Sand Booger #2 event this fall.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The results of the survey related to the AMA membership does not surprise me. I think we need to support our racing/off road community with membership in the AMA and D14, but I have no plan to make AMA membership mandatory for the FES.
Magoo does provide a lot of assistance on the insurance issue, but the clubs do buy the coverage directly. I do appreciate Magoo's volunteer efforts. We are working on a program to save the clubs money on their insurance premiums. I am hoping these efforts and the donated trophy program will allow us to keep the entry fees at an affordable level.
Mike

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Smit-Dog said:
Personally I couldn't see the value of paying $10 for a 1-day AMA membership when you can get a whole year for $39.
Also, I think when a family with multiple kids is hit up at registration for an event fee and a membership fee, it quickly gets expensive. QUOTE]

When the FES goes AMA and entree fee's start to go up I will not be attending anymore events. I'll go trail riding with the little one instead. 30.00 for parent & kid to ride together is OK anything more than that isn't gonna fly.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
.... I heard they're going to make it a $50 entry fee if the rider does not have barkbusters. :nod:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Hey I don't know but I think the pink one's are the way to go. I'm gonna leave them on for wolverine.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
FES Feedback

Here is some more FES feedback. The intent of the series is to get kids to ride (hopefully with their parents), but here is an example of track guy enjoying a ride in the woods.
Guys,
Just a little feedback you might enjoy.

I'm 48 and raced MX as a kid in the 70's then quit for 20 years and started back up racing MX recreationally 10 years ago.

My friend Paul Buhr talked me into racing (riding) the Harrison FES. I did, however, on my MX pit bike as I did not want to use my 450 MX'r. The next day we watched the national...I was impressed.

I just want to tell you that my FES introduction (even on mini) worked on getting me hooked. On my way home from Harrison, I started to think I need a woods bike as I enjoyed trail riding as a kid and everything that goes with it (especially just being outdoors enjoying the sites I would not see without being on a dirtbike). So, I purchased a used KTM and thoroughly enjoyed your Wolverine FES event this past Saturday. The course (and conditions) were fantastic. I plan on doing as many FES, CCC events and just plain trail riding (and maybe a Hare Scramble) as I can. Of course, I will continue to race MX as well. Having the opportunity to do both is awesome. I don't think I can handle a Sunday enduro event just yet.

I want to thank both of you for all of your efforts and hard work that provides me this opportunity.

Also, I think you'll like this. I packed up Saturday and on Sunday raced MX at an outlaw track in Sebewaing, MI. I stuck 2 of the "Ride for Brian" stickers on their scoring board so everyone would see them when checking moto results. I then grabbed the announcer (with portable microphone) showed him the stickers and explain Brian's situation. He then announced over the entire PA system "when checking results to jot down the email address on the sticker". They had 447 rider entries that day and plenty of spectators. Not sure the end result of this but thought it was cool he did this over the PA.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys.

Brad Zimmer

Here is an idea from a FES mom. A FES swap meet at the Roselawn event. You can bring the equipment and clothes that your kid has outgrown to sell or trade with other FES participants.
I have discussed with Jeff Fredette and he likes the idea, but he does not want to manage the process. So if you would like to participate in the swap meet, bring a table to put out in front of your campsite and get ready to wheel and deal.

Mike

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
I too enjoy the FES. My kid gets to ride on Sat with me, and I get to enjoy the race on Sunday for myself as well. I know it takes alot to put on an enduro, and then a FES event as well with almost a completely different course. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit longer trail for the older riders in the FES. I'm definately not complaining, but my 16 year old could ride a 40 miler, and he probably wishes they all were at least this long. I don't think he is ready to ride a Sunday enduro yet, but he is getting closer. I felt bad leaving him to drive gas when I could see he was chomping at the bit and ready to ride some more on Sunday. For me it's a bit of a selfish thing to ride my own race on Sunday and an overprotective dad thing not putting my son in over his head on an event trail that he may not be ready for. And I'm not sure I would want him to ride by himself either. I'm sure some of you dads out there have gone through the same thing I am dealing with now, so If you have any advice for me, I am all ears.
Another thought about FES. Some of us were talking at Wolverine on Sat night, that it would be fun to have a XR100 class for the adults for Saturdays event.Maybe even after the kids event is done. And I'm also suprised that someone doesn't put out some orange cones and do a bit of pitbike racing with our kids bikes to pass the time before Sundays event. I'm sure there may be some bigger issues with this than I know about.
Anyway, thanks to all who put on both the Adult and Family events. Keep up the great work.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I think your son may be more ready than you think.

At Harrison there was a fast and skilled 14 year old who rode his first enduro... and it was a tough National. The thing is you don't have to ride it at race pace. At your son's age, treat the first few as a challenging but fun trail ride, and he'll do fine. But be careful... the next thing you know, you'll be running gas for him!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Cody was 16 when he raced his first enduro. I put him right into the mix on the Sunday’s program and never looked back. I told him then as I still do now before every race "Make some smart choices". I don't moto dad him and I don't push him or my son Caleb of 9 yrs to ride. What it is is what it is. I still worry about both of my sons before every race as did my father with me, but that’s part of the game... And I'll never get used to it.

If your son feels he's ready for Sunday's event.... I say fill the tank & check the tires and point him towards the proving grounds.

DW

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
bterp67 said:
Maybe I'm just scared he's going to pass me. I tell everyone, when he's faster than me, then I'm old.

IT'S CALLED PASSING THE TORCH.THAT'S WHY WE TEACH OUR KIDS TO RIDE SO THEY IMPROVE AND GET BETTER/ FASTER. I WAS VERY PROUD OF MY SON WHEN HE WON B-HIPOINT AT JACKPINE A FEW YEARS AGO.

DAVE.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Let him ride! You could put him 5 or so minutes in front of you so if something happens you will only be 5 minutes behind (or maybe a few more if he is spanking your azz)...

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
bbarel said:
Let him ride! You could put him 5 or so minutes in front of you so if something happens you will only be 5 minutes behind (or maybe a few more if he is spanking your azz)...

That's a great idea. Now to decide which event to put him in for his first. Any suggestions?

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Kalkaska will be a good one. As a matter of fact it was Cody & I first enduro in 2005.

Top Bottom