fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Magoo and I have been working on this program.  We are still working out some of the details, but I wanted to share it with the MTRs.

This year there will be three family enduros in the state of Michigan.

April 24 - Kalkaska, MI - Lansing Motorcycle Club

July 17 - Marquette, MI - UP Sandstormers

August 21 - Moorestown, MI - Lansing Motorcycle Club

The plan is to have 12 classes based on age and size of the bike.  Each rider will accumulate points at each race.  We are hoping to have the points standings displayed on the D14 website throughout the summer.  We plan to invite the top finishers to the D14 Enduro banquet in November.

Please keep on the eye on each of the club's websites, as well as the D14 website for additional details.  I will post them on DRN as well.

I am hoping that we can develop a flyer to advertise the events and the series.  Please pass the word.

Thanks to everyone who provided your thoughts and advice on this idea.  I really appreciate the efforts of Magoo and Brian Southworth (D14 Enduro Chairperson).

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I plan on participating in all of 'em. Those enduros are FUN! :aj:

I just hope I can get that timekeeping thing down...

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by michman
Nate you don't need time keeping equipment. Don't you have some old gray hair guy for that?

I guess I only get 2 races with the "old gray hair guy" before I'm on my own. I like it that way, anyhow! I wanna' be able to keep time for myself. That way I'd feel like I really did something for myself if I place in a race. I'd like to see if I can pull off a good score on my own...cuz' I know I can do it while playing 'follow the leader' :thumb:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mike - I think that is great!  :thumb:

I am gonna start working on my 10 year old to give it a shot (doing so improves my odds of making it to some some races myself!).

I was just reading an article about concern in the industry that to much of recent sales over the last several years has all been to the same people - ie that guy that bought a DT1 back in 1971, is that HD buyer today - and not enough really "new blood" in the sport.  They did specifically identify off road as a growth potential area - but with concern if it was a large enough potential.  Events like this can be key in getting people into the sport at a young age!

Mike

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I'm super excited that this is coming to be! I have an absolute blast watching and riding with the kids! They go so hard, and ride their little a**es off! I really think this is a great opportunity for kids and families to get involved with trail riding and enduros. I couldn't think of a better group of people to associate with, and I am hard pressed to find a more sportsman like group of "competitors" anywhere! Such GOOD things we can teach our youngsters.

I look forward to a successful debut of the Family Enduro Series, and I especially look forward to other clubs adding a Kids/Family event to their Enduros! It'd be SO COOL to have a Kids/Family Enduro at every regular
Enduro!!

Thanks to fatherandson and Brian Southworth for getting this thing off the ground!!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
We will start with three, but I also would like to see it grow.  Maybe some of the clubs that used to have enduros will think about having a Family Enduro.

These events do not always make money for the clubs, but, as KTM Mike and Magoo wrote, the benefits to the sport are priceless!

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Mike Jr., I talked with the principal here at the high school and he said that he couldn't make the decision for the start. You will have to talk to the Superintendant, Mr. Dan Mackenzie. 258-9109 is the phone number for the central office where he works.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Tom,

I think we're working on a different "start venue"... There was a lot of road for the little guys and gals starting there west of the schools.

Thanx for checkin'

Mike Sr.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sorry TD. I am not comfortable with crossing two major highways and the pavement on Valley Road. Maybe you and I can go for a ride this Spring......we could unload at the school a ride to the MCCCT just for fun. :thumb:

CircuitRider said:
Tom,

I think we're working on a different "start venue"... There was a lot of road for the little guys and gals starting there west of the schools.

Thanx for checkin'

Mike Sr.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Just an update....our trail maps have been approved by the DNR. However, no camping will be allowed at the ORV trail head. We are looking into other camping options in the area. Another option is that the start of the Kalkaska event is 30 miles from the LMC clubgrounds. People could stay there, but they would have to trailer the bikes on Saturday morning.
We have not determined the start time of the event. We need to coordinate with the Trout Festival. There are a couple of parades (one Friday and one Saturday) that they would like LMC to participate in.
As I get more information I will pass it along.

Mike

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
fatherandson said:
There are a couple of parades (one Friday and one Saturday) that they would like LMC to participate in.

Cool! Can I ride my YZF in the parade? I'll put red, white, and blue streamers all over it! :clue:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Glad to see the April family enduro coming together... thanks to everyone for their efforts.

1) As far as planning, should we plan on being up for both Friday and Saturday nights?

2) The Kalkaska Campground looks like a great location, but it appears that we'll have to trailer the bikes to the staging and/or parade area. Is the parade a totally separate event/time/location, or will the enduro staging area be tied into the parade? What I'm trying to find out is if there are any other accommodations in Kalkaska where we could ride the bikes directly to either event location without trailering.

And as far as a name for the event, how about the "Trout Trail Run"!

Thanks...

Last edited:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
What I'm trying to find out is if there are any other accommodations in Kalkaska where we could ride the bikes directly to either event location without trailering.

Smitdog, how was your trip south? Thanks for brining some sunshine back with you!

There is a motel on the south end of Kalkaska that's near the big snowmobile staging area in Kalkaska. I can't remember the name of it. Tom Dixon probably knows!

It should work for the parade, but where's the staging area for the enduro?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The cruise was an incredible vacation. Definitely the best family vacation we've ever taken, and probably in the top 5 best vacations overall. I can't recommend it highly enough for families. We're already thinking about booking the next one.

Anyway.... I've stayed at the hotel located in the southwest corner of M-72 and US-131 (Granada Inn?).

Looking for recommendations... cheap, clean, and convenient.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey guys, Do not get too excited about the parade. The club may have a float (trailer with some bikes on it pulled by a truck), but I do not anticipate that the participants of the bike event will be riding down main street Kalkaska. Sorry.

Remember it is Trout Festival in Kalkaska. The hotels and campsites may fill up fast. You will need to trailer the bikes to the staging area of the Leetsville loop. I am not sure how much parking is available at the trail head. It may be best to car pool. Unless you know a local business owner who has a large parking lot.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
So I take it then that Woodsy and Farmer Tom won't be doing their best Doug Domokos impersonations down Main street...

And I had already picked out the costume for my parade bike:

Attachments

• TroutTrailRun.jpg
    TroutTrailRun.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Dag Nabbit! I was really hoping to lay out a nice field of face! The parking area of Leetsville is roughly the size of the field at the clubgrounds. There are some nice clean hotels here in Kasky: All Seasons Resort, Econo Lodge, Granada Inn isn't to bad, and that's about it. For camping there is the Kalkaska Campground and Log Lake Campground. Log Lake is all rustic. If we have the turn out of the Pine Cone, car pooling will be a must. And sorry, your gonna have to trailer to the staging area. :(

hey Mike, are we using JUST orv or can we make some "special" trail within the legal limits? :thumb:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Being that we gotta trailer to the staging area, I think we will just end up staying at the clubgrounds and trailer the bikes to the start. I think it only takes 30 min from the clubgrounds.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I thought it was time to bring this thread to the top.

We are planning to start at 11:00 to allow people time to trailer the bikes to the staging area. At this time we are planning a 25 mile loop, but the arrows will stay up on Saturday afternoon if someone wants to gas up and take another lap. If you take a second lap, you will be required to have an ORV sticker and follow DRN rules. The insurance and event permit will NOT apply to the second lap.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sounds like fun Mike! Is the race going to be all ORV trail? "Any virgin stuff?" :thumb:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Weather update.....the snow is melting in Kalkaska!!! There should not be any problem with the event date of April 24th. We will be doing some trail work in a couple of weeks to prepare for the first event in the Family Enduro Series.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I am counting the days till the start of the series. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom