Fan for EXC 520 02 - necessary or not ?

¨dahl

Nov 11, 2001
I'm awaiting an EXC 520 02 and have been thinking about getting the fan kit for additional cooling but since it costs atleast $100 then I wonder if it's really necessary. I haven't seen any posts related to overheating problems on the RFS's but my old LC4 sure used the fan, especially during slow enduro riding. My riding will be about 50% MX, 25% Enduro and 25 forest roads...

Thanks
/Marcus

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Fan

I overheated my 01 520 only once in a year of riding ....when digging it out of a bottomless swamp on a very hot summer day (32 celcius ).. , the fan doesn't look like a necessity to me ...unless you ride veeerrry slow for really long period in very hot temperature ....
just my 2 cents...

ktm_vet_rydr

Jan 16, 2002
i also have a 01 520 exc, been on many muddy swamp infested runs and have never had to add radiator fluid. i did change the fluid to moose radiator fluid mixed 50/50 with distilled water. we have a loop up here in upper michigan that is mostly 1st and 2nd gear stuff filled with a little mud and lots of narley hills. not a problem. i don't think the fan is needed. i did manage to blow the compresion clamp on the thermostat. scrap the compression clamp and go to an implament dealer that sells john deere and such. they have the narrow hose clamps that i feel make a better fit. just don't tighten excessivley.:)

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I agree with the other two posters and I responded to this on a different board. I just wanted to add that you won't have the compression hose clamp problem on your 02. The history of this problem is that the 00 and early 01 RFS's had compression style (not screw style) hose clamps on all three large thermostat openings. The bottom one especially would blow off when the bike built up a lot of pressure. The mid-year 01's had the bottom hose clamp replaced by a screw type and the 02's come with all screw type clamps.

GEE-BEE

Dec 27, 2001
KTM 520 EXC COOLING FAN

I RIDE HERE IN THE DESERT AND WHEN GOING UP HILLS OR TIGHT TECH AREAS , I HAVE HAD COOLANT LOOS , I ADDED THE FAN AND WITH THE THERMOSTAT IT SEEMS TO MAINTAIN TEMPS , I CURRENTLY TOOLING FOR A COMPLETE SET OF SILICONE COOLANT HOSES FOR THE 400 & 520 SHOULD FIT ALL SIX MODELS.

cbm4stroke

Feb 29, 2000
Before I installed a fan on my 02 520 Exc I would always loose radiator coolant out of the overflow tube. It would spew out during slow trail, sandy uphills and on the street at long stops. I installed the KTM optional fan and no more collant loss at all in any trail or street riding situaitons. I was suprised at how often the fan comes on but it does and it does its job. It also gives you a clue as to when things are heating up. Since winter time here in So. Cal (if you can call it winter) it does not come on as much as it did. Works great for my dual sport and trail applications.

Clark:)

KM Burgess

Oct 30, 2001
KTM Fan woes

I currently have an 01 KTM520 and live in the middle of Australia where the summertime temps regularly exceed 45 degrees celsius for weeks on end. I ride all types of terrain and even riding in that sort heat and riding slowly on some of the worst looking rock infested tracks I have never had my bike run hot or lost coolant. Maybe these things don't need a fan.

Cheers

Top Bottom