Fanning a 4-Sroke Clutch a Good Idea?

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
My XR200R has a little under 20 ponies and stock suspension. Sometimes I have to fan to keep going up tough hills. Am I just going too slow? Should I modify my suspension to help me take rocks faster?:confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Thumpers tend to not like fanning very well. Try pulliing clutch and revving real hard just before you reach the hill....that tends to help a 4-stroke continue chugging up better after you've down-shifted.
Not sure why though....:think

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
Four strokes tend to have a lot of flywheel mass compared to a two stroke. As a result of this, wouldn't it be a lot harder on the clutch when you fan it? The engine is resistant to changing speed...

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
I'm 6'0 190lbs, I rode my 87 XR200 up until a few months ago. The engine was totally stock, but I put on an XR's Only pipe, jetting, UNI airfilter, airbox snorkel off, and went to a 48 tooth sprocket on the rear (one up from the stock 47 tooth rear). The pipe and jetting helped greatly on throttle response and the gearing helped to keep the little engine screaming away, even with my weight. The lower gearing allows you to use the 6 speed tranny to it's fullest. I ride in soft sand, and had to rev to the moon in 2nd, and still couldn't pull 3rd. After the gearing change, I could pull up to 4th and 5th easily. I never had a problem climbing hills, but after the gearing change, the bike would climb anything and had tons of torque.

With stock motor and gearing you will have to keep the RPM's up to have any power. Clutch won't help you much. Thottle control is the key. Good luck.

Top Bottom