chewgravel

Aug 28, 2004
Hi all. I have been reading through the techniques forum and have learned from the tips that have been giving.
Pretty new to dirt riding, so curious about some things.
Can someone explain when fanning the clutch should be used. I know what it means and have experimented in the turns. I ride a 4 stroke, XT225. Not a real motocross bike, but have put on knobbys and am playing in sand.
Also, notice the front end likes to dip in turns sometimes. I am adament about staying on the gas in the turns, but still get that dip sometimes. I have not done anything with the suspension of this bike. Can anyone tell me specifically what adjustments I should make to it's suspension? I am 5'8" and weigh 125.
Also, I have been told to keep my feet on the pegs, and not use my foot turning. Is there a time and place for that? I watch motocross on TV and see the pros use their foot out quite a bit?
Probably riding this bike a bit harder than it is meant to be ridden, but haveing a great time with it. Fits me and it is kind of hard to find a 4 stroke that is not too tall that is made more for motocross.
Any riding advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
you fan the clutch when you need to get into higher rpm's, like if you wanted to stay in a gear higher so you dont have to make so many upshifts to come out of the corner. Your clutches wont last very long if you do this though, id save it for racing.

On any kind of tight corner you usually put your leg out. It helps with balance and if you should need to put a little dab down if you lose traction. The only time you really keep your feet on the pegs is when its a longer turn where you try to keep lots of speed through.

You have to be very smooth in the sand, keep your weight further back than normal when your riding in it and dont all of the sudden jam on the front brake. You kind of have to ease things on in the sand.

my $0.02

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i have a 2002 xt225 - if you are braking hard into the corner, you can easily bottom the front forks. i also notice some "chatter" and deflection when braking hard on hardpack surfaces with this bike. i can actually turn this bike tighter than my crf450 as the front end "tucks" rather nicely (guess i need to have the crf forks tuned...)

you may want to look into getting larger footpegs on that bike - if it is like my 2002 version, they are very tiny - esp when looking for the peg coming off a jump.

not sure about suspension mods as mine is stock - i would think you should be ok for trail riding with the stock setup - i weigh 175 and can mush mine with aggressive riding - but you are 50-lbs lighter...

i don't think you will need to fan that clutch too much - they have that engine tamed down from even the TTR225 version and gearing is higher too.

chewgravel

Aug 28, 2004
Hmm...thinking about the things you both said as I am playing on my "track" today. (I bushhogged trails through the 5 acre field about 2 swipes wide. So now, what I am riding on is mostly kind of grassy except where I have already chewed it up, turning it to sand. (FL is VERY sandy) Fanning the clutch seemed better than downshifting to get through the tight turns quicker. I get it about burning up the clutch, so will be conservative with that. The front end dipping I am not sure about still. I am not on the brakes at all unless I make a big mistake. Really try to tell myself "stay on the gas" to correct instead of braking. Getting used to the layout of what I have cut, and getting quicker. Having a great time for sure.
Thanks!

Top Bottom