robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hello everyone. I've been basically out of MX (and not around here much, save for the occasional post) for almost 2 years as a result of a broken right wrist (complete scaphoid break) that happened as a result of an internal fork problem which caused excessive bottoming over a three foot high double that I overjumped.

I had the suspension revalved. The bike handles much better now and landings are improved, but the suspension work did not resolve the wrist pain.

After healing up last year I tried track riding on several occasions and had too much pain to be comfortable on the bike. It wasn't that landings were killing me, but it was causing too much fear and hesitation because of possible hard landings. Even small jumps caused discomfort and big (for me) jumps were painful. Woods riding was ok, but to me, woods riding is just that - ok. I much prefer the track.

As a last gasp effort at age 35, I recently purchased a set of the quite expensive Fasst Flex bars from Fasst Co. I figured I didn't have anything to lose - Fasst Co offers a 30 day money back guarantee and from what I’ve seen, straight used flex bars sell pretty high on e b a y.

On my first test ride last week in the woods, things went pretty well. I repeatedly jumped a medium size natural jump and didn’t have any pain to speak of. I was hopeful the bars would do well on the track. Still, I noticed that my arm/wrist got very tight and tired very quickly on that first ride.

Yesterday I went to Wildwood Lake MX on the Ohio side of the river near Parkersburg, WV. Wildwood is a 1 mile outdoor style track built on a hillside. 60 foot and 90 foot tabletops, a couple doubles, a couple gap jumps, a couple singles, a fast downhill, two challenging uphills out of tight corners, kicker jump on the top of a steep downhill. Conditions were firm to really muddy depending on the elevation.

I could not be more pleased with the bars. I split time on my bike with my buddy (his first time on a track) for 3 hours and 15 minutes. I had minor discomfort ONLY ONE TIME the whole day when I got cross rutted on the face of the 90 foot table and dive bombed the landing (I’m not fast enough to come close to downsiding it with the short run-up - only about 25% of the riders are). The pain was so minimal on that hard (forks bottomed) landing that instead of pulling off the track and calling it a day (as I would have done last year) I kept going a couple more laps. The rest of the day went well and I actually had a little bit of speed for the first time since the injury (which is about all the speed I ever had. . .).

Even though I’ve hardly ridden in the last year, I had zero arm pump, my wrist didn’t weaken or tire out any sooner than my arms and legs, and my wrist isn’t any more sore today than it normally is after any activity (which is to say that it’s not sore except when moved in a certain, limited direction). The riding actually feels like it is loosening up my wrist - if that makes any sense.

I am convinced that if I had installed the flex bars 2 years ago, I would not have broken my wrist when I overjumped the double. Given that having a cast put on cost about the same as the bars, it makes the bars seem to be a bit more reasonable in price.

In conclusion, I’m back to racing again thanks to the Fasst Co. Flex bars (and no, I am not an employee of Fasst Co.).

I'd recommend them to anyone, but especially riders who have wrist/elbow/shoulder injuries.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Hmmm.. interesting.

I've read their ads, but never heard of anyone who actually used them.

I may have to think about checking them out.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've wanted to put a set on Troy's bike for a few years now but the price always scared me away. I've yet to see a negative review of the bars.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If they do what they say they should, the price doesn't really bother me that much..

I really would like to find something that will reduce or eliminate the fatigue I get in my hands & wrists when riding.

I don't death grip, but after having my hands in one position for too long, plus the vibrations, they really get stiff.

This whole post is just wrong.. I apologize profusely. ;)

Sickboy

May 10, 2001
Glad to hear about something that brings new life into us old riders! I'm looking to get some new bars this year, and this totally sells me on the idea. Great review!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
There are some nice reviews here:

http://www.fasstco.com/testimonials.shtml

But that's the company website. What ultimately sold me was searches for "Fasst" here and at http://www.thumpertalk.com

It was really a rarity to find anyone complain about anything (except the price) - and I looked at probably 100-150 posts.

They also have a reputation for being very difficult to bend. I hope so. . .

50% off replacement guarantee as well, so once you're in, it's not as bad to fix 'em if you do bend 'em. . .

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Ok, stupid question here;

If these bars are "flex bars", than does that mean that when I attempt to drive my bike up a tree( which I do regularly) that they are going to bend like butter? Are they less strong than the other bars?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
250girl said:

If these bars are "flex bars", than does that mean that when I attempt to drive my bike up a tree( which I do regularly) that they are going to bend like butter? Are they less strong than the other bars?

No - they are apparently quite strong - the flex is in the rubber inserts on the pivot points, not in the metal.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
250girl said:

Hate to point out the obvious, but might I suggest you stop running into trees?? :yikes:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
IndyMX said:
I don't death grip, but after having my hands in one position for too long, plus the vibrations, they really get stiff.
It's not my hands that get stiff from vibrations, and they have to move as well.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
IndyMX said:
Hate to point out the obvious, but might I suggest you stop running into trees?? :yikes:

But you see the problem is...... my bike is a woods bike. A WOODS bike. What I am trying to say is that my WR is attracted to wood, TREES. So avoiding trees isn't really an option, I just need bars that can stand up to it. :nener:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
250girl said:
But you see the problem is...... my bike is a woods bike. A WOODS bike. What I am trying to say is that my WR is attracted to wood, TREES. So avoiding trees isn't really an option, I just need bars that can stand up to it. :nener:

Hmmm... Since it has this attraction to trees, I'd be more inclined to stay away from them.

I have yet to find a single tree in the middle of a track. Which is probably a really good thing, cause I'd most likely find a way to hit it.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
250girl said:

Don't look at the trees. . . you'll go where you look. Easier said than done, I know . . .

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's my two cents:
I get really bad arm pump, no matter what I do. It goes away after awhile when riding but it cripples me off the start of a race. I switched to Fasstco Flexx bars this year and can't say enough good about them. I'm running the yellow 'medium' bumpers and am pleased with the results. I have pretty stiff suspension right now (it's setup for blasting sand whoops) so using the softer bumpers has allowed me to lessen the shock to my hands. Now I don't get arm pump very much which is great.

For durability I just put them through a torture test at the Desert 100. I crashed really hard (3rd gear, 3/4 throttle) on Sunday and the bars are still straight. This same crash managed to bend one of the bark buster mounting bolts, loosened the tower clamp for my steering stabilizer, broke my nose and knocked me out.

I'm a believer in the Flexx bars.

Top Bottom