'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Are the fatter bars without the crossbar as strong as the standard size bar with crossbar? Do the fat bars suppress or add to vibration?

I'm going to replace the stock bars on my son's KX85 and I'm trying to decide between Renthal Fat Bars and Tag Metals X5.

Thanks! Mark

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
They are stronger. They reduce vibration (a little).

DBSRACING

Jul 17, 2002
The x5s are very strong too and will save you some money not having to buy an oversize clamp. A friend I know has them on his kx100 and I have seen him take some nasty crashes, broke his throttle tube twice and both levers a couple times. The X5s are still perfect.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I've been running the X5's since last August. After a number of impressive get offs they are still straight. If you need the extra space afforded by running the fat bars without a crossbar by all means buy them and the new mounts. If not, the X5 should do the trick nicely.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've bent just about every steel and aluminum handlebar I've ever mounted on a bike, including standard Renthals. I currently have a Fat Bar on my bike. This is my first set of oversize bars and after nine months they are still straight. I bought them for the added flexability needed for riding in rocks and used the Moose adapter to mount them on the stock triple clamp.

Never tried the Tag bars though.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I never got into the fat bars - rode with a pair of Pro Tapers once and didn't care for them. We've been running X5's for a while now and love em. They are 5mm thick (compared to standard 4mm bars) so they are stronger than the normal aluminum bar. But they still fit in the standard bar mounts, which is cool. Red and I have both had a few hard get-offs and no pretzeled bars.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
I put the X5's on Taylor's KX65 because they're thicker than the 4mm norm. I'm more concerned about vibration than bending.

I was going to get another X5 for the KX85 but I saw a deal motosportoutlet.com is having with the Fat bar and an Applied triple clamp/bar mounts for $140.

Nikki - You say you didn't care for the Pro Tapers. How come?

Top Bottom