Fat Bars and aftermarket tripple clamps

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Hi all,
Had a bad wipeout this weekend and trashed the renthals. I am thinking about replacing them with Pro Tapers, but this means I have to replace the tripple clamp. If I go this route, I will probably use the cheapest one I can find, Which looks like an Applied Racing tripple. Do they really perform any different than the stock clamps? I know they look cool, it just seems hard to think that the aftermarket will actually feel any different than the stocker. Opinions? If they really don't perform a lot better, I may save money and go with the universal adapters and use the stock clamp. Are these any good, or are they junk?
Thanks,
Rich

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Are you just going to replace the top clamp? If so, mounting the bars is the only advantage you'll get (other than being able to re-grease everything up front). If you get the complete set, you can get a different offset which will give your bike better handling. Also, most aftermarket sets will stiffen up the front end.

The universal mounts will raise the bars about 1/2" or so. I got the TAG CR low bend and it made them feel like the high ones. But now I got the complete set of clamps they work great.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I installed a Applied TC w/Pro Taper CR Hi bend bars.. It felt like the bars moved towards the front of the bike a bit.. I like the over all feeling, so i say its worth it.. Just a note, the fit of the Applied TC was excellent..
Rick

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Oh yeah, and you'll have more bar positions to choose from. Not sure, but doesn't Applied make rubber mounted clamps for YZ's? I didn't like mine, they twist in crashes and they don't really help vibration too much, but it just might be another option over stock.

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the clamps really help with bar positioning and look nice....much nicer than the universal IMO

check out motosportoutlet.com they have the protapers, clamp, bar mounds and pad for $190

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
I also think with the Applied's, that you can ask for different bar offsets. I know they offere a 10mm forward for the YZ. I am going to be getting those as soon as I save a little cash. I rode a friend's bike with the 10mm and CR hi's and it was like a whole different bike. I'm not that tall of a guy, but it seems the YZ was made for people the size of RC...

Top Bottom